Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nano Adam

Intel Optane Memory as SSD

Posted · Original PosterOP

In my laptop I have a 16gb Intel Optane. Now I am using Linux and with a 1 TB hard drive, Linux boots very slowly (Ubuntu). Is there a way I can use the Intel Optane Memory module as a normal SSD or as a high speed storage, so I can boot Ubuntu from the Optane instead of Hard Drive. 

Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

In my laptop I have a 16gb Intel Optane. Now I am using Linux and with a 1 TB hard drive, Linux boots very slowly (Ubuntu). Is there a way I can use the Intel Optane Memory module as a normal SSD or as a high speed storage, so I can boot Ubuntu from the Optane instead of Hard Drive. 

Thanks! 

Did you say 16GB? that can't be used for anything really, maybe use it for it's intended purpose cache

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

optane m.2 drives are just nvme drives, so you can use them as a normal m.2 drive.

16gb is enough for ubuntu, but it gets squishy fast.

You can also use it as a cache with something like bacache or lvm cache.

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Did you say 16GB? that can't be used for anything really, maybe use it for it's intended purpose cache

Would using it as cache for Ubuntu speed up the boot time? 

4 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

Thanks! 

Just replace the 1tb HDD with an SSD.  Best of all worlds there.

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Just now, Nano Adam said:

Yes

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

1 minute ago, Nano Adam said:

Yes it would speed up the boot times

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 minute ago, Dedayog said:

Just replace the 1tb HDD with an SSD.  Best of all worlds there.

I would, but that won't be cost effective as I use the laptop rarely. Long boot times didn't affect me much before, but after I started using Mac's with SSD's and all, it kinda broke my habit of waiting for laptops to boot. 

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

Yes it would speed up the boot times

What cache method would you suggest for Ubuntu. 

I would, but that won't be cost effective as I use the laptop rarely. Long boot times didn't affect me much before, but after I started using Mac's with SSD's and all, it kinda broke my habit of waiting for laptops to boot. 

If you aren't using all that space or there is another drive bay you could get a smaller ssd

Reminder⚠️

if its just a basic ubuntu install, id put the os on the ssd, and then keep the /home files on the hdd

but you can use bcache or lvmcache aswell, there a bit mor of a pain to setup

4 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

if its just a basic ubuntu install, id put the os on the ssd, and then keep the /home files on the hdd

but you can use bcache or lvmcache aswell, there a bit mor of a pain to setup

^^

Reminder⚠️

29 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

Cost effective?  Raw unadulterated speed doesn't have to be :)

As you even said, you use them in your Mac and love it.  Come into the 21str century.

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti