Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DutchGuyTom

Help Overclocking a Ryzen 5 2600X

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi there!

I could use some help overclocking because, admittedly, I am relatively new to overclocking Ryzen processors. I am using an R5 2600x on an ASRock B450m Steel Legend motherboard. Because this motherboard is not known for its incredible quality, I am not trying to push the limits too much. I have heard that a stable 4.1-4.2 GHz is reasonable to expect but I will be happy if I can get 4.1 or 4.15 GHz. However, despite setting it manually to 4.1 GHz, I can not get it to stay above 4 GHz when under load. 

BIOS settings:

Manual Core Clock: 4.1 GHz

Manual VCore: 1.36 v (technically it is 1.3595)

VID Core: unchanged (Motherboard does not allow me to change this if I chose to manually set the VCore unless I want to do so by offset).

SOC Voltage: 1.0125 v 

Additionally, I have already overclocked my memory a while ago. The DRAM Calculator recommended the SOC Voltage I am using.

Even though I have core clock set to 4.1 GHz, when running Prime95, the multipliers drop down to 39.5 (as reported by HWiNFO64). It will let the cores run at 4.2 GHz when the system is not under load. The temperatures are also fine (about 74 degrees C) and the VCore is reported to be about 1.35 v as I set in the bios. I have not tried dropping these voltages lower but from experimenting in the Ryzen Master utility, I know I should be able to run 4.1 GHz at ~1.32 v).

Can anyone tell me what I can do to stop my core clocks from dropping to 3.95GHz?

Thank you everyone!

Update: after running Prime95 for a little while, the voltages have dropped to fluctuate around 1.313 and the multipliers to 39.3. Everything seems stable. 

Update 2: added screenshot 

image.thumb.png.8c2ad6f456e8f1fdeec9fe7612b67556.png

I should be writing papers...

Anything over 4GHz, it's gonna need a lot of voltage. I have gotten my 2600x stable at 4.4GHz but at almost 1.5 volts. But I was creeping up to 80 degrees. Wasn't liking that. So I keep at 4GHz at 1.25 volts and my temps are 50-52 degrees. That's from running Cinebench R20 and OCCT back to back.

My R5 2600x goes to 3.7GHz for a split sec but then stays around 4GHz at load and idle.

But here's a screen of mine at 4GHz all cores. It also boosts to 4.6GHz on all core. This was after I did my R20 and OCCT back to back.

OCCT.jpg

21 minutes ago, Shisimona said:

Anything over 4GHz, it's gonna need a lot of voltage. I have gotten my 2600x stable at 4.4GHz but at almost 1.5 volts. But I was creeping up to 80 degrees. Wasn't liking that. So I keep at 4GHz at 1.25 volts and my temps are 50-52 degrees. That's from running Cinebench R20 and OCCT back to back.

My R5 2600x goes to 3.7GHz for a split sec but then stays around 4GHz at load and idle.

But here's a screen of mine at 4GHz all cores. It also boosts to 4.6GHz on all core. This was after I did my R20 and OCCT back to back.

[snip]

I am with you about keeping things cool and not over-volting too much. Honestly, I think I enjoy overclocking since almost as soon as I have a benchmark to show for it, I reduce it all to be fairly moderate so I can rest easy that I am not frying anything.

What I don't get is that the voltage seems to just go down to 1.313 for me. Is this because of voltage droop? I find it hard to believe that voltage droop is causing a 1.36 VCore to go down to 1.313 v. 

I also ran another TimeSpy benchmark when I was able to run at 3.95 GHz with P95 and the CPU score was lower than when I ran it without an overclock but with precision boost on. Not sure if that is just how good precision boost is or if it is because I have done a poor job of overclocking.

Will play around with Ryzen Master again tonight and see if I can get different results there. I just don't like how I can't control VCore directly but can only control Core VID through it. If anyone knows how to use this effectively, please let me know! (is it through a voltage offset in the bios?)

Thanks!

just a little tip, don't use ryzen master. any oc you're doing, you should do it in the uefi. for some reason, oc in ryzen master isn't working, and it decreases the clock speed if you hit 70c. i had a problem in which just the fastest ccx cores could reach 4.5 ghz, but the rest of them were locked at 3.6.

2 minutes ago, crackrupcitu said:

just a little tip, don't unde ryzen master. any oc you're doing, you should do it in the uefi. for some reason, oc in ryzen master isn't working, and it decreases the clock speed if you hit 70c. i had a problem in which just the fastest ccx cores could reach 4.5 ghz, but the rest of them were locked at 3.6.

"unde"? 

I agree that Ryzen Master is not as preferable to using the UEFI (sorry, I just call it the bios). However, in my experience, what I have specified in the uefi is not matching the performance I get under load. I set it to 4.2 GHz and instead I get 3.95 GHz and while I set VCore to 1.35 v, I have a VCore of 1.313 after being under load for about 5-10 minutes.

When I was messing around with Ryzen Master a couple of days ago, I could reliably change the VID Core (as reported in HWiNFO) but it would not increase my VCore above 1.313 v. However, it would let me reliably increase the core clock speeds. Generally, it would crash if I tried 4.2 GHz on all cores. 

9 hours ago, DutchGuyTom said:

"unde"? 

I agree that Ryzen Master is not as preferable to using the UEFI (sorry, I just call it the bios). However, in my experience, what I have specified in the uefi is not matching the performance I get under load. I set it to 4.2 GHz and instead I get 3.95 GHz and while I set VCore to 1.35 v, I have a VCore of 1.313 after being under load for about 5-10 minutes.

When I was messing around with Ryzen Master a couple of days ago, I could reliably change the VID Core (as reported in HWiNFO) but it would not increase my VCore above 1.313 v. However, it would let me reliably increase the core clock speeds. Generally, it would crash if I tried 4.2 GHz on all cores. 

for me, it's the exact opposite, i set all my cores in ryzen master to 4.2, only the fastest ccx ones are going 4.2, the rest of 4 are locked to 3.6. In uefi, i inserted 4.4 ghz on all cores, it goes 4.4 ghz on all cores, and i got up to almost ryzen 5 3600xt in cinebench. Besides that, the ryzen master can't set the voltage, and sometimes it jumps from 1.275 to 1.35 for no reason, even in idle. I can't even set it at max 1.325.

1 hour ago, crackrupcitu said:

for me, it's the exact opposite, i set all my cores in ryzen master to 4.2, only the fastest ccx ones are going 4.2, the rest of 4 are locked to 3.6. In uefi, i inserted 4.4 ghz on all cores, it goes 4.4 ghz on all cores, and i got up to almost ryzen 5 3600xt in cinebench. Besides that, the ryzen master can't set the voltage, and sometimes it jumps from 1.275 to 1.35 for no reason, even in idle. I can't even set it at max 1.325.

It is interesting that our experience is so different. Do you record these values through HWiNFO as well?

I am still trying some things out but every time I try 4.2 GHz all-core, my system becomes extremely unstable.

Ryzen Master will alter my VID Core consistently but the actual core voltage does not scale consistently with it. I may try to use UEFI to alter the core voltage and Ryzen Master to alter the core clocks.

What voltages did you use to get 4.4 GHz? 

On 8/4/2020 at 11:47 AM, DutchGuyTom said:

It is interesting that our experience is so different. Do you record these values through HWiNFO as well?

I am still trying some things out but every time I try 4.2 GHz all-core, my system becomes extremely unstable.

Ryzen Master will alter my VID Core consistently but the actual core voltage does not scale consistently with it. I may try to use UEFI to alter the core voltage and Ryzen Master to alter the core clocks.

What voltages did you use to get 4.4 GHz? 

1.325v