Intel Accused of Infringing FinFET Patents of the Microelectronics Institute of the Chinese Academy of Sciences

Pickles von Brine
17 hours ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Um... What? Why now? How long as Intel been using FinFET and now there is a lawsuit over it? Honetsly, this just smells fishy to me. Tin-foil at side of me says this is a ploy to extort money or possible IP out of the company. Then again, I don't really know enough to properly comment. 

Source

It's probably BS.

image.png.128b9966d08ee852a08a3bc454a8fd13.png

This looks like a submarine patent.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

This looks like a submarine patent.

Hadn't heard of a submarine patent before so I looked it up and this does not seem to fit that at all.

A SubmarinePatent is a patent which an "inventor" files on a device or technology that doesn't exist yet, or which has not yet been successfully implemented. Using various procedural mechanisms, the filer intentionally delays issue of the patent, sometimes for years, until a practical implementation of the device/technology appears on the market. At that time, the filer allows the patent to "come to the surface" and demands royalties from the party who did the real work.

This patent was filed in 2011, it is based on things that existed back in 1998, and it started seeing wide use in consumer devices in 2012. I wouldn't call 1 year enough for it to be a "submarine patent".

I think the way bigger issue here is that the patent was filed AFTER Intel had released information about their FinFET transistors.

As an outsider who had to work in the patent system for a bit, it does feel like the the patent system kinda ended up being a money making machine for lawyers. There are things that are not intuitive at all, and combined with legal complexities, don't try applying common sense while trying to understand or work it out. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

As an outsider who had to work in the patent system for a bit, it does feel like the the patent system kinda ended up being a money making machine for lawyers. There are things that are not intuitive at all, and combined with legal complexities, don't try applying common sense while trying to understand or work it out. 

There are a lot of instances in civil law that are a gold mine for lawyers.  One of the terrible side effects of being "civil" law and the parties involved being humans.  Some that spring to mind are negligence/liability lawsuits, copyright, IP, marriage/divorce, land settlement,  business contracts and purchases. To name a few.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.