Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sukrit Kumar

Can anyone help me with this?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey, actually I am kinda nub in this thing. Baiscally I wanted to know are nvme and pcie 3.0 are the same things? Yeah I havr this question please don't judge or troll me. ;)

I don't think so.

NO RTX 30 SERIES TALK OR RYZEN 4000 OR INTEL 11TH GEN TALK.

Quote me or @Not Wills for a reply!

Contact info on my profile!

All my builds below!

Current builds:

Main system: AMD ryzen 5 3600 (No OC (Thermal reasons)) | Stock AMD cooler | Gigabyte B450m gaming | Zotac GTX 970 dual fan (OC, Core base: 1366, Core boost: 1440, Memory: 4206) (+200 core +700 memory) | Corsair 2x8GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | Kingston A400 240gb x2.

Laptop: Toshiba a110-274 | Intel core solo T1350 | Intel 945GM Express | 2x512mb 533Mhz DDR2 sodim | Seagate Momentus .3 7200rpm | Intel pro Wi-fi.

Coming soon:

Server build: x2 Xeon E5 2450 | HP Proliant DL360e Gen 8 | Quadro K620 | 4x500GB 7200rpm hdd | Kingston a400 240gb | 32gb ddr3 ECC. (On hold)

Small form factor gaming PC: AMD ryzen 5 3600 (It's here!) | Zotac GTX 970 dual fan (on-hand) | Asus B450I (coming soon-ish)  | 2x Kingston a400 240gb (on-hand).

Selling soon:

Mb | combo: AMD ryzen 3 1200 (OCed to 3.625Ghz) (1.21V) | Stock AMD cooler | Gigabyte B450m gaming | 

Dell prebuilt: Intel i3 8100 | Dell Z370 | Dell cooler 80mmm | Dell GTX 1050 | Crucial 1x8gb 2400Mhz DDR4 | Toshiba A300 1tb. (Sold)

15 minutes ago, Sukrit Kumar said:

are nvme and pcie 3.0 are the same things?

No, they are not the same thing. But when talking about M.2 SSD's, they are usually used to refer to the same thing.

An M.2 SSD can use NVME memory and thus use the PCIE interface (gen 3 or gen 4), or it's an M.2 SATA SSD. So if the motherboard says "supports M.2 NVME", they mean they support M.2 SSD with the PCIE standard.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

^^ explains it very well

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1 minute ago, minibois said:

No, they are no the same thing. But when talking about M.2 SSD's, they are usually used to refer to the same thing.

An M.2 SSD can use NVME memory and thus use the PCIE interface (gen 3 or gen 4), or it's an M.2 SATA SSD. So if the motherboard says "supports M.2 NVME", they mean they support M.2 SSD with the PCIE standard.

my motherboard says pcie 3.0 and nvme is not mentioned so I should not consider buying the drive with nvme? right?

17 minutes ago, Sukrit Kumar said:

my motherboard says pcie 3.0 and nvme is not mentioned so I should not consider buying the drive with nvme? right?

In this context nvme and pcie 3.0 mean the same connection type.

Though there also is PCIe 4.0 and SSDs that  are compatible with that.

... but I'm no expert

M.2 is a physical slot that can be wired to use nVME, SATA or both.

Just now, Sukrit Kumar said:

What motherboard do you have?

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: TBD PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: TBD Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headphones: Sennheiser HD555
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7
Just now, DJ46 said:

M.2 is a physical slot that can be wired to use nVME, SATA or both.

What motherboard do you have?

asrock b450 m ac

5 minutes ago, Sukrit Kumar said:

From the manual:

image.png.5b7369a5023cc77e96f6c56ddd725449.png

As you can see, your motherboard supports M.2 SSD's, that use the NVME memory standard and use the PCIE protocol.

So yes, an M.2 NVME/M.2 PCIE drive is supported.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

3 minutes ago, Sukrit Kumar said:

asrock b450 m ac

On Asrock's site under Specification > Storage it states:

"Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module" and "Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks"

The M.2 slot on your motherboard supports nVME.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: TBD PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: TBD Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headphones: Sennheiser HD555
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7