Can anyone help me with this?

Sukrit Kumar

Hey, actually I am kinda nub in this thing. Baiscally I wanted to know are nvme and pcie 3.0 are the same things? Yeah I havr this question please don't judge or troll me. ;)

15 minutes ago, Sukrit Kumar said:

are nvme and pcie 3.0 are the same things?

No, they are not the same thing. But when talking about M.2 SSD's, they are usually used to refer to the same thing.

An M.2 SSD can use NVME memory and thus use the PCIE interface (gen 3 or gen 4), or it's an M.2 SATA SSD. So if the motherboard says "supports M.2 NVME", they mean they support M.2 SSD with the PCIE standard.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

^^ explains it very well

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1 minute ago, minibois said:

No, they are no the same thing. But when talking about M.2 SSD's, they are usually used to refer to the same thing.

An M.2 SSD can use NVME memory and thus use the PCIE interface (gen 3 or gen 4), or it's an M.2 SATA SSD. So if the motherboard says "supports M.2 NVME", they mean they support M.2 SSD with the PCIE standard.

my motherboard says pcie 3.0 and nvme is not mentioned so I should not consider buying the drive with nvme? right?

17 minutes ago, Sukrit Kumar said:

my motherboard says pcie 3.0 and nvme is not mentioned so I should not consider buying the drive with nvme? right?

In this context nvme and pcie 3.0 mean the same connection type.

Though there also is PCIe 4.0 and SSDs that  are compatible with that.

I edit my posts more often than not

M.2 is a physical slot that can be wired to use nVME, SATA or both.

Just now, Sukrit Kumar said:

What motherboard do you have?

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Just now, DJ46 said:

M.2 is a physical slot that can be wired to use nVME, SATA or both.

What motherboard do you have?

asrock b450 m ac

5 minutes ago, Sukrit Kumar said:

From the manual:

image.png.5b7369a5023cc77e96f6c56ddd725449.png

As you can see, your motherboard supports M.2 SSD's, that use the NVME memory standard and use the PCIE protocol.

So yes, an M.2 NVME/M.2 PCIE drive is supported.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Sukrit Kumar said:

asrock b450 m ac

On Asrock's site under Specification > Storage it states:

"Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module" and "Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks"

The M.2 slot on your motherboard supports nVME.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II