Issue with MSI Afterburner? Or low performance?

SSK-99

Hi I've just finished my first build and wanted to compare it to youtube benchmarks.

However, the yt vid im using is displaying about 150fps on overwatch 1080p epic settings, whereas my msi afterburner / riva overlay seems to be stuck at 70 fps, even dipping below that at some points.

I have no idea whats going on. Is this an issue with my msi hopefully, or is something wrong with my build?

Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Gigabyte 1660 Super

Mobo: Asus Prime B450M-A

Monitor: Lenovo 1440p l24q 60Hz

RAM : Hyperx Fury 3200 MHz

You haven't listed your specs. We need all your computer specs, as well as what monitor you have.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 minutes ago, SSK-99 said:

Hi I've just finished my first build and wanted to compare it to youtube benchmarks.

However, the yt vid im using is displaying about 150fps on overwatch 1080p epic settings, whereas my msi afterburner / riva overlay seems to be stuck at 70 fps, even dipping below that at some points.

I have no idea whats going on. Is this an issue with my msi hopefully, or is something wrong with my build?

Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated.

CPU bottleneck...which cpu are you using with what gpu

1 minute ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

CPU bottleneck...which cpu are you using with what gpu

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

You haven't listed your specs. We need all your computer specs, as well as what monitor you have.

3 minutes ago, Not Wills said:

CPU bottleneck, can happen even when not at 100% load be cause of clock speeds.

Specs added... shouldnt be a CPU bottleneck

1 minute ago, SSK-99 said:

You're running a 1440p monitor, which is an enormous increase in pixel count over 1080p.  It's over 70% more pixels that the GPU has to render.  You've got a 60hz monitor though, so there isn't much point in a high frame rate.  Your monitor can only show 60fps because it only refreshes 60 times per second.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, SSK-99 said:

yes it could be have you tweaked settings on your bios?

2 minutes ago, Not Wills said:

Because when I went from the r3 1200 to the r5  3600 both w with a 970 my FPS doubled in MC even if the other CPU was not maxxed

Right, thats good information to have, thanks. But if im not mistaken the 3600 should not even be close to bottlenecking the 1660 Super?

Just now, SSK-99 said:

Right, thats good information to have, thanks. But if im not mistaken the 3600 should not even be close to bottlenecking the 1660 Super?

Right now there's almost no way you don't have a GPU bottleneck.  If you want to put the load on the CPU, turn down those graphics settings.

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

You're running a 1440p monitor, which is an enormous increase in pixel count over 1080p.  It's over 70% more pixels that the GPU has to render.  You've got a 60hz monitor though, so there isn't much point in a high frame rate.  Your monitor can only show 60fps because it only refreshes 60 times per second.

I understand but my resolution is set to 1080p. Also, I know fps over 60 doesnt show on 60Hz but I need to know if my system isnt performing correctly because it could be a problem when I play more demanding games which are supposed to run at e.g. 80+fps, but instead run at 40 fps on my system

Just now, SSK-99 said:

I understand but my resolution is set to 1080p. Also, I know fps over 60 doesnt show on 60Hz but I need to know if my system isnt performing correctly because it could be a problem when I play more demanding games which are supposed to run at e.g. 80+fps, but instead run at 40 fps on my system

Are you running the latest BIOS and video and chipset drivers? 

Have you checked thermals?

Is your RAM running in dual-channel with the XMP/DOCP profile enabled?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Are you running the latest BIOS and video and chipset drivers? 

Have you checked thermals?

Is your RAM running in dual-channel with the XMP/DOCP profile enabled?

Video and chipset drivers up to date. Not sure about BIOS.

Thermals seem ok: about 70C on CPU  and max 76C on GPU, which I've read is ok.

DOCP profile is enabled

your system knows how much hz the monitor is and if you say to it the increase the fps it will always be a bottleneck and can transmit max of 60 fps on 60 hz monitor

1 minute ago, SSK-99 said:

Video and chipset drivers up to date. Not sure about BIOS.

Thermals seem ok: about 70C on CPU  and max 76C on GPU, which I've read is ok.

DOCP profile is enabled

with load or without load?

2 minutes ago, SSK-99 said:

DOCP profile is enabled

And it is dual-channel? You can check either using CPU-Z (under the Memory tab you should see "Channels: Dual") or by visually inspecting your motherboard - if you have two sticks, they should be alternating slots (2 and 4 / 1 and 3).

your system knows how much hz the monitor is and if you say to it the increase the fps it will always be a bottleneck and can transmit max of 60 fps on 60 hz monitor

I think you're talking about VSync. OP's getting 70+ FPS on a 60Hz panel, so VSync is not enabled.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

There's nothing wrong with a 1440p 60hz monitor, and there's no reason to insult people.  It's just not an ideal choice for Overwatch, or any competitive game.

I suggest making use of MSI Afterburner.  Go into the settings and enable the overlay for GPU usage and CPU usage for every core.

Ok I will try that when I get back to my PC. Thanks for the help. Also, as per the OP could it be a problem with  my Riva overlay, since it doesnt seem to be responding correctly e.g. I have checked in game overlay for min fps, avg fps etc and yet it doesnt seem to show up in game?

Unless you have V-Sync on (which he obviously doesn't if he's getting 70fps), your framerate will be uncapped.  That introduces bad tearing, which is why it's generally not done, but it's fine for testing performance.

with load or without load?

Under load

At idle CPU is 40-45C. Never really checked GPU at idle

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

And it is dual-channel? You can check either using CPU-Z (under the Memory tab you should see "Channels: Dual") or by visually inspecting your motherboard - if you have two sticks, they should be alternating slots (2 and 4 / 1 and 3).

Yes definitely inserted in A2 and B2 slots. Will check CPU-Z when I get pack to the PC.

3 minutes ago, SSK-99 said:

Ok I will try that when I get back to my PC. Thanks for the help. Also, as per the OP could it be a problem with  my Riva overlay, since it doesnt seem to be responding correctly e.g. I have checked in game overlay for min fps, avg fps etc and yet it doesnt seem to show up in game?

For reference, this is what you need to change:

OSD.png.b8134d0e0b290f582911d56d5f1421ef.png

Click the settings (you can use Ctrl+Click to select multiple at the same time) and then check the "Show in On-Screen Display" box.

Also go to the "On-Screen Display" tab and set your own shortcut for toggling the OSD.  I use Alt+Comma, because they're right next to each other and nothing else uses that AFAIK.

* Thread cleaned *

If you're not interested in helping, then don't reply and move on.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

5 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

* Thread cleaned *

If you're not interested in helping, then don't reply and move on.

what happenned?

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

For reference, this is what you need to change:

OSD.png.b8134d0e0b290f582911d56d5f1421ef.png

Click the settings (you can use Ctrl+Click to select multiple at the same time) and then check the "Show in On-Screen Display" box.

Also go to the "On-Screen Display" tab and set your own shortcut for toggling the OSD.  I use Alt+Comma, because they're right next to each other and nothing else uses that AFAIK.

Thats the thing... I have checked loads of assets e.g. min fps, avg fps and ticked the 'Show in OSD' box and it shows up as 'in OSD' but they don't appear.

May try reinstalling

Just now, SSK-99 said:

Thats the thing... I have checked loads of assets e.g. min fps, avg fps and ticked the 'Show in OSD' box and it shows up as 'in OSD' but they don't appear.

May try reinstalling

Have you set the toggle combination and activated it in game?

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

what is toggle combination?

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

No, but the overlay still appears, just not all of the info ive checked

Just now, SSK-99 said:

No, but the overlay still appears, just not all of the info ive checked

You need to do that.  You're probably not even seeing the correct overlay.