All Xbox Consoles From 2001-Present

Who the hell thought this was a good naming scheme? It's so damn confusing, that I feel bad for the parents who know nothing about videogame consoles.

I can't be the only gamer who is confused as hell with the Xbox naming scheme.

Xbox

Xbox 360

Xbox One

Xbox One S

Xbox One X

Xbox Series X

What's after that? Xbox Series Z? Xbox Series End of World?
Are we ever gonna see an Xbox Two?

Still better than what USB-IF implemented.

I suspect and my theory is that Xbox didn't want to copy what PlayStation was doing.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Fixed your list a little with the 360 models and release dates

Xbox (2001)

Xbox 360 (2005)

Xbox 360 S (2010)

Xbox 360 E (2013)

Xbox One (2013)

Xbox One S (2016)

Xbox One X (2017)

Xbox Series X (2020 - 2021)

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Some of the stories behind the names are actually interesting. 

For the XBOXOne, iirc it was called the one because Microsoft wanted it as the only media box needed in your house, capable of TV, Film, Music, Games, etc. 

@Kanna is definitely proving my point 🤣 Didn't even know there were different Xbox 360 models. And as @Antistatic12 said, they probably didn't want to copy the PS. To be fair though, at least I can't confuse the PS2 and the PS5. I mean, just basic math in this case.

@gloop I knew the Xbox One was meant to be the main media box. When I had my older tv, I actually had to plug my PS3 into my Xbox One, since I didn't have enough HDMI ports on my older tv lol. Yay for daisy chaining rivaling consoles I guess. Never thought I ever would have done that. I legit had to turn on two consoles just to play my PS3.

15 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

@Kanna is definitely proving my point 🤣 Didn't even know there were different Xbox 360 models. And as @Antistatic12 said, they probably didn't want to copy the PS. To be fair though, at least I can't confuse the PS2 and the PS5. I mean, just basic math in this case.

@gloop I knew the Xbox One was meant to be the main media box. When I had my older tv, I actually had to plug my PS3 into my Xbox One, since I didn't have enough HDMI ports on my older tv lol. Yay for daisy chaining rivaling consoles I guess. Never thought I ever would have done that. I legit had to turn on two consoles just to play my PS3.

Tbh I like the unique names and growing up with xbox made me get used to them 1 - ∞ is a little boring

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

10 hours ago, gloop said:

Some of the stories behind the names are actually interesting. 

For the XBOXOne, iirc it was called the one because Microsoft wanted it as the only media box needed in your house, capable of TV, Film, Music, Games, etc. 

Yeah, the base name of the Xbox family comes from Microsoft thinking of names for a console and how the Xbox was a "DirectX box". Basically, tests of DirectXbox vs. just Xbox showed that the latter sounded nicer.

I don't specifically remember why Microsoft went for the Xbox 360 name, although I suspect it was to symbolize a revolution in the console space.

Xbox One was, well you explained it well. It was entirely on Microsoft wanting to brand that console as the all-in-one device for your home entertainment shit. 

Really, the Xbox Series X and S are continuations of the naming scheme introduced with the Xbox One S and the One X, by using the X name as the high-performance console and the S as the more baseline hardware.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

12 hours ago, Midevil Chaos said:

Who the hell thought this was a good naming scheme? It's so damn confusing, that I feel bad for the parents who know nothing about videogame consoles.

Xbox

Xbox 360

Xbox One

Xbox One S

Xbox One X

Xbox Series X

NES 

SNES

N64

GameCube

Wii

WiiU

Switch

(Not including the small game it revisions like the light etc)

Gameboy

Gameboy Colour 

Gameboy Advance 

Gameboy Advance SP

Gameboy Micro 

DS

DS lite

DSi + XL

3DS + XL

2DS 

New 3DS + XL

New 2DS + XL

Switch

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

@Kanna Since we grew up and different eras, I guess our perspectives would be different.

@Lord Vile At least the Nintendo home consoles had actual names, not a bunch of extra single characters. As for the handheld devices, I don't even count those, as usually the person who wants one already knows what it is lol.

4 hours ago, Midevil Chaos said:

@Kanna Since we grew up and different eras, I guess our perspectives would be different.

@Lord Vile At least the Nintendo home consoles had actual names, not a bunch of extra single characters. As for the handheld devices, I don't even count those, as usually the person who wants one already knows what it is lol.

Unless you’re looking to buy one at launch and gets a plain 3DS instead of the new 3DS which means you can’t play new 3DS games 

You could also use that argument for Xbox too, if the person wants one they will know which one they want 

51 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Unless you’re looking to buy one at launch and gets a plain 3DS instead of the new 3DS which means you can’t play new 3DS games 

You could also use that argument for Xbox too, if the person wants one they will know which one they want 

@Lord Vile lol. I disagree. No one expects there to be three models for an Xbox. But when it comes to handhelds, they've been doing that for multiple decades at this point.

6 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

@Lord Vile lol. I disagree. No one expects there to be three models for an Xbox. But when it comes to handhelds, they've been doing that for multiple decades at this point.

Why not? There were 2 of the NES, 2 of the PlayStation, 2 of the PS2, 4 of the PS3. At least they’re visibly different unlike the 40 and 60GB variants of the OG PS3 which had completely different hardware. 

there were also 4 versions of the fat 360 and 2 of the slim. 

Just now, Lord Vile said:

Why not? There were 2 of the NES, 2 of the PlayStation, 2 of the PS2, 4 of the PS3. At least they’re visibly different unlike the 40 and 60GB variants of the OG PS3 which has completely different hardware. 

@Lord Vile I get what you're saying, but at the base, you could pick any and they are pretty much the same (even when they produce slim versions). As for the handhelds, they are and feel different. For example, I have a NDS XL, which is considerably bigger than the normal one, and that has a direct impact on the gaming experience. I think we'll disagree on this, but that's ok.

35 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

@Lord Vile I get what you're saying, but at the base, you could pick any and they are pretty much the same (even when they produce slim versions). As for the handhelds, they are and feel different. For example, I have a NDS XL, which is considerably bigger than the normal one, and that has a direct impact on the gaming experience. I think we'll disagree on this, but that's ok.

But you can’t play new 3DS games on that. 

Any other PS3 outside the 60GB fat one can’t play PS2 games, Wii’s after the first run can’t play GameCube games. There’s consoles which have significantly less functionality with no indication on box to the point with Wii’s you have to check the serial number.

14 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

But you can’t play new 3DS games on that. 

Any other PS3 outside the 60GB fat one can’t play PS2 games, Wii’s after the first run can’t play GameCube games. There’s consoles which have significantly less functionality with no indication on box to the point with Wii’s you have to check the serial number.

@Lord Vile Uhm, what? I never had any issues with any of the consoles I bought for any of the games I bought. I wouldn't expect a PS3 to play PS2 games. A nice to have for sure, but that's about it. Why should I expect a console to play past titles? Sure, it's always nice when they do, but not an expectation.

7 hours ago, Midevil Chaos said:

@Lord Vile Uhm, what? I never had any issues with any of the consoles I bought for any of the games I bought. I wouldn't expect a PS3 to play PS2 games. A nice to have for sure, but that's about it. Why should I expect a console to play past titles? Sure, it's always nice when they do, but not an expectation.

They advertised it as backwards compatible, when you have a library of PS2 games you’d like the new PS3 to play them too. Same with the Wii. 

On 8/5/2020 at 4:32 AM, Lord Vile said:

They advertised it as backwards compatible, when you have a library of PS2 games you’d like the new PS3 to play them too. Same with the Wii. 

Did they continue advertising that, or was that something they dropped after a time?

35 minutes ago, Ertman said:

Did they continue advertising that, or was that something they dropped after a time?

They advertised the original PS3 as backwards compatible though only 1 of the 2 launch models could play PS2 games. Think both of them could play PS1 but not sure on that. 

9 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

They advertised the original PS3 as backwards compatible though only 1 of the 2 launch models could play PS2 games. Think both of them could play PS1 but not sure on that. 

Yeah, the PS3 never dropped PS1 support. Anything from the base launch model to the ones that can do PS2 BC to the Slim to the Super Slim can all play PS1 games. 

22 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Yeah, the PS3 never dropped PS1 support. Anything from the base launch model to the ones that can do PS2 BC to the Slim to the Super Slim can all play PS1 games. 

I think the launch models had previous gen actual hardware, though, and the slim/late cycle models was all software. I vividly recall slim PS2 could not play some PS1 games because the game relied on hardware no longer present in the console. And same for the launch PS3 and PS2 hardware until late life-cycle (i.e. more consumers adopted the newer platform).

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

9 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

I think the launch models had previous gen actual hardware, though, and the slim/late cycle models was all software. I vividly recall slim PS2 could not play some PS1 games because the game relied on hardware no longer present in the console. And same for the launch PS3 and PS2 hardware until late life-cycle (i.e. more consumers adopted the newer platform).

Yeah, starting with the SCPH-75xxx models, Sony removed the hard drive controller from the PS2's motherboard. That hard drive controller was literally just the CPU of the PS1 given a different function.

It's basically why using Popstarter through a hard drive relies on software emulation: because it's preoccupied with other tasks.

Well, whatever the case may be, I am just glad this topic has elicited a conversation :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 11:01 AM, Midevil Chaos said:

Xbox

Xbox 360

Xbox One

Xbox One S

Xbox One X

Xbox Series X

Yeah, i've had all xboxes from the 360, and i'm probably gonna buy the Series X, just because how crazy powerful it is. Probably faster than my 2700X/5700 machine.

Microsoft's naming of the Xbox One after using Xbox 360 is almost comparable to Battlefield releasing Battlefield 1 after Battlefield 4 (still get it being a tasteful use for a  WW1 themed game)

SPEC LIST:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x w/ AMD Wraith Stock Cooler

MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B-450F

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32gb 3200mhz (2x16gb)

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Super FE

PSU: Corsair 750x 80plus Gold 

FANS: Dual Corsair LL Series LL140mm Dual Light Loop RGB

MONITORS: BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 Inch FHD LED 144Hz (DP)
Lenovo - G25-10 24.5" LED FHD 144HZ Monitor (HDMI)

PATIENCE: NOT CURRENTLY INSTALLED

P.S: STILL REALLY WANTING TO FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN CARRY ME TO GRAND CHAMPION IN ROCKET LEAGUE :)

P.P.S: I NO LONGER NEED TO BE CARRIED TO GRAND CHAMPION AS I HAVE MADE IT ON MY OWN 😁