• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls

Motherboard standoffs question

Posted · Original PosterOP

Case : NZXT 340S Elite

MOBO : MSI 450-A PRO MAX

Im having issues screwing all screws in , some go in , some i just screw endlessly and they wont get tight.

In the mobo came a single screw in a bag and a little warning about some markers behind my motherboard that indicate something about some standoffs that i should be wary of any idea what these are and what the screw is for and if i need it ?

I found this mannual online  https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-A-PRO-MAX#down-manual since my mobo came with a single crappy piece of paper with shitty instructions and in the image below 

i have circled the spot in which my case has a standoff 

ATX boards have a 3 by 3 layout when it comes to stand offs. They are all in a row horizontally and also vertically.

Some boards leave out the second one in the top row but usually only on X570 boards and some Intel Z stuff if I remember correctly.

If a screw goes in endlessly, you have the wrong size. They differ in thickness sometimes. If you have not other screws, like from a previous PC then either get some online or if you cannot wait, leave one out. It is usually safe to leave out the one on the bottom in the middle, where the USB front headers are. In some cases the stand off itself is bad and won't hold or the hole in the case is too big. In such cases use a bit of classic Loctite like Loctite 243 for fastening screws, that will help and you can remove it later if needed.

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

ATX boards have a 3 by 3 layout when it comes to stand offs. They are all in a row horizontally and also vertically.

Some boards leave out the second one in the top row but usually only on X570 boards and some Intel Z stuff if I remember correctly.

If a screw goes in endlessly, you have the wrong size. They differ in thickness sometimes. If you have not other screws, like from a previous PC then either get some online or if you cannot wait, leave one out. It is usually safe to leave out the one on the bottom in the middle, where the USB front headers are. In some cases the stand off itself is bad and won't hold or the hole in the case is too big. In such cases use a bit of classic Loctite like Loctite 243 for fastening screws, that will help and you can remove it later if needed.

forgot to mention that prior to this mobo i had an asrock one which was screwed in my case just fine , but this one just doesnt want to go in for some reason some places screw in some spin endlessly

I can tell you that not all screws of the same size are created equal. Some will be one hit wonders others you will stay with your for generations. I'd recommend using new ones every time and use the old ones if you need to screw in a HDD or something else that already kind of stays in place.