Halo Infinite's multiplayer will be free to play, up to 120 FPS on the Xbox Series X.

niofalpha

Halo Infinite will have free to play multiplayer when it launches in a few months.

“The legendary Halo series returns with the most expansive Master Chief campaign yet and a groundbreaking free-to-play multiplayer experience,” read the listing. “Enjoy up to 120 FPS and greatly reduced load times creating seamless gameplay with Xbox Series X.”

I think this is part of the push by Microsoft for Halo to return as a prominent esport (see their recent HCS moves), and I think this will help with that. If CSGO's player numbers since it went free to play a few months ago are anything to go by, I think this will be a big boost for the game. The only thing that worries me about it is that there will definitely be more cheaters, especially if the game is going to be pushed as an esport.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/31/21349236/halo-infinite-multiplayer-free-to-play-120fps-rumors

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

What. The. Fuck.

Is Microsoft trying everything it can to win over gamers? The game pass, now this? At this point I wouldn't be surprised of the console launches at $199 or $299.

Multiplayer is by far the only reason I'd get the new Halo. If it's free, I am even more stoked than I was before.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 minutes ago, niofalpha said:

If CSGO's player numbers since it went free to play a few months ago are anything to go by

It's more like a few years, CS GO went free to play 2 years ago in December.

I don't think Halo will be able to really steal the success that CS:GO has going for it, especially as an E-Sport. It could gain a larger player base no doubt, just like Valorant, but I don't believe they will overtake CS:GO in the long term, especially in the E-Sports scene. Though they're more than welcome to surprise me.

Gotta say, jumping from 60 to 120fps on a single console generation for a game will be... interesting. Considering that 343 wasn't inept at making Halo 5 stick to its 60fps target like Gorilla Glue, I suspect that 120fps will be damn near perfect.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I mean I'll be able to play for free anyways, seeing as I have been farming microsoft reward points for the past few months just for this

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Is Microsoft trying everything it can to win over gamers?

Well with the majority of the current halo community, or with most people in the halo community I've seen so far, it isn't really working. I've seen a lot of backlash in regards to microtransactions, especially with how bad the REQ system was in H5. And given its FTP I would assume the microtransactions  will definitely be there

However, 343 has confirmed there will be no microtransactions that can be purchased with real world money

Another thing to be worried about is cheaters

Personally I think 343 has learned their lesson from h5 and probably won't introduce such a p2w system, but we will see closer to launch i guess

Also I'm more of a campaign person anyways so as long as the story and gameplay are good, I'm happy

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I don't want to say this confirms that Gold is being removed(or pay to play online is), but this is definitely the direction they seem to be moving in...

Though, with the multiplayer being free, I hope the campaign is worth the $60 USD.

35 minutes ago, EChondo said:

Though, with the multiplayer being free, I hope the campaign is worth the $60 USD.

I think its likely that there will be other features that are not included as part of multiplayer, like Forge or maybe even custom games, that would probably be there to justify the price tag.

Also keep in mind that 343 stated that this game will be the next halo game for 10 years, so there will definitely be more campaigns added later on

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Shreyas1 said:

I think its likely that there will be other features that are not included as part of multiplayer, like Forge or maybe even custom games, that would probably be there to justify the price tag.

Also keep in mind that 343 stated that this game will be the next halo game for 10 years, so there will definitely be more campaigns added later on

Disagree. Forge and Custom Games are core multiplayer features. Locking those two things behind the $60 price tag would be insane.

I can see them offering a years worth of battle passes or something with the $60 purchase, so theoretically the campaign and battle passes would be $30 each or so.

As for the "10 year" thing, we saw how Destiny turned out with that...didn't end well. I don't see it working out for Halo either.

39 minutes ago, EChondo said:

Disagree. Forge and Custom Games are core multiplayer features. Locking those two things behind the $60 price tag would be insane.

I can see them offering a years worth of battle passes or something with the $60 purchase, so theoretically the campaign and battle passes would be $30 each or so.

As for the "10 year" thing, we saw how Destiny turned out with that...didn't end well. I don't see it working out for Halo either.

I mean, I don't want it either, but realistically speaking I think that's what they're going to do. I feel like they need to offer something else if they want to make any actual money on the game, and they would probably lock these features behind a paywall. 

I mean I can see the 10 year plan working out if it doesn't involve just adding content that should have been out at launch later on. Like if they actually add good DLC campaigns and offer decent service over a long period of time, I can see it working out. Then again, it seems like the og shotgun and magnum will be added in later after launch, so that seems very unfortunate in that it may indicate that 343 will have less content at launch that should be added in later. 

but I guess we will find out everything in November 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

I mean I'll be able to play for free anyways, seeing as I have been farming microsoft reward points for the past few months just for this

Well with the majority of the current halo community, or with most people in the halo community I've seen so far, it isn't really working. I've seen a lot of backlash in regards to microtransactions, especially with how bad the REQ system was in H5. And given its FTP I would assume the microtransactions  will definitely be there

However, 343 has confirmed there will be no microtransactions that can be purchased with real world money

Personally I think 343 has learned their lesson from h5 and probably won't introduce such a p2w system, but we will see closer to launch i guess

Also I'm more of a campaign person anyways so as long as the story and gameplay are good, I'm happy

You literally can't appease the Halo community lmao

I've been a part of it since I was 8 on YouTube on my mom's phone, it's always been a massive circle jerk. 

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Spoiler

sex hahaha

4 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

It's more like a few years, CS GO went free to play 2 years ago in December.

I don't think Halo will be able to really steal the success that CS:GO has going for it, especially as an E-Sport. It could gain a larger player base no doubt, just like Valorant, but I don't believe they will overtake CS:GO in the long term, especially in the E-Sports scene. Though they're more than welcome to surprise me.

Has it been 2 years already? Wow.

Halo and CS aren't comparable. One's an arena shooter, the other is CSGO. Where I feel Halo lacks in esports, is how there's no one game mode like in CS, Dota, and Valorant. That narrows everything down and makes it much easier to follow for casuals, and helps the scene and meta develop better imo.

I'd really like to see BTB as an esport, but I don't think it would be easy to watch, or that competitively viable. In Reach, Invasion is in the competitive playlist. I'd love to see something similar to that in a more competitive environment.

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Kinda glad to not have to pay for live, as Infinite's MP would be the only reason I'd have it and that always strikes me as a poor use of money. 

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

What. The. Fuck.

Is Microsoft trying everything it can to win over gamers? The game pass, now this? At this point I wouldn't be surprised of the console launches at $199 or $299.

Multiplayer is by far the only reason I'd get the new Halo. If it's free, I am even more stoked than I was before.

There’s rumours that Microsoft might launch a cheaper Series S model for around $20-25 per month including game pass on a 2 year contract with zero upfront cost. 

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Good move and makes sense. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Could this be Halo taking back it’s throne among multiplayer games?

probably not 

I hope this leads to more than just a short hype period 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

56 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

? I've never had to pay for online multiplayer unless its a subscription game.

I only play on PC

No free multiplayer as in similar to warzone, except there are more gamemodes here

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

snip

The reason for Xbox Live costing money is because Microsoft actually hosts the game servers that Multiplayer Xbox games use.

On PC the developers of the game pay for the servers for you.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

All I gotta say is I really hope they have a good anti cheat in the game. When destiny 2 went f2p it got invaded by hackers. I'd expect the same in Infinite. Just really interested in their methods of monetization. They confirmed no lootboxes/req packs that halo 5 was plagued with and made warzone p2w. Hopefully its just armor / skins / assassinations you can buy. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

15 minutes ago, vetali said:

All I gotta say is I really hope they have a good anti cheat in the game

They are using Easy Anti Cheat for the MCC so I'd guess they'll stick with it for Infinite.
I haven't had issues with hackers in MCC so far so I guess it isn't half bad.

9 minutes ago, Medicate said:

They are using Easy Anti Cheat for the MCC so I'd guess they'll stick with it for Infinite.
I haven't had issues with hackers in MCC so far so I guess it isn't half bad.

Yeah in MCC all you gotta do is plugin a controller and you have an aimbot.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I feel like I did good when I got 3 years of xbox live and upgraded it to game pass on pc and console for £1 now.

I've already had my moneys worth just  with the Outer Worlds and Metro Exodus.

13 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah in MCC all you gotta do is plugin a controller and you have an aimbot.

that has nothing to do with anti cheat

12 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Everyone will cry over micro transactions. IIRC, at least for their non WarZone part of the game, it was all cosmetic stuff. Which is perfectly fine.

It never affected any of my gameplay.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

There’s rumours that Microsoft might launch a cheaper Series S model for around $20-25 per month including game pass on a 2 year contract with zero upfront cost. 

Yeah....apparently the S model is going to be a very cut down version though.

I'd just be playing on PC anyway, I don't really foresee me getting another console.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Everyone will cry over micro transactions. IIRC, at least for their non WarZone part of the game, it was all cosmetic stuff. Which is perfectly fine.

It never affected any of my gameplay.

The issue with cosmetic only microtransactions for many people is that it was a major part of progression in earlier games. For example, many of the armor types could be unlocked by completing challenges and taking that away is changing a major part of progression

I can see it work if they make it so that the people who pay 60 dollars for the game need to complete in game challenges while the people who play f2p have to pay microtransactions

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

14 hours ago, niofalpha said:

You literally can't appease the Halo community lmao

I've been a part of it since I was 8 on YouTube on my mom's phone, it's always been a massive circle jerk. 

The only thing the Halo community can agree on is Halo 2 being the best game... even though it's uglier than the first and just abruptly ends.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.