what do yo think the minimum specs for a pc is in 2020?

6 core 12 threads (1600af and upwards)

1660ti

16gb ram 

ssd for operating system 

1080p 144hz monitor 

and I honestly believe anything less than this and a console would be better 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

1 minute ago, Ebony Falcon said:

6 core 12 threads (1600af and upwards)

1660ti

16gb ram 

ssd for operating system 

1080p 144hz monitor 

and I honestly believe anything less than this and a console would be better 

thanks or your opinion but we aren't say about gaming for basic day to day use  

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Just now, mahyar said:

thanks or your opinion but we aren't say about gaming for basic day to day use  

Oh sorry 4gb ram cheep quad core with igpu

probly what ever the cheepest Ryzen is with igpu 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

Just now, Ebony Falcon said:

Oh sorry 4gb ram cheep quad core with igpu

probly what ever the cheepest Ryzen is with igpu 

but i was forced to use a core 2 duo 1 gig of ram and 8800 gt and 160gig hdd a could get away with that

9 hours ago, NZgamer said:

Yeah, a Core 2 Duo of some sorts, 2GB of ram and the iGPU.

What browser are you using?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

5 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

What browser are you using?

i can answer that firefox

Min specs?  Cheapest refurb I can find online with a "I" series intel chip - I would not build something for cheapest I can find that would do common tasks in todays world.

EDIT - depends on OS as well, Id prefer 7 over 10 depending on RAM available etc

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

Min specs?  Cheapest refurb I can find online with a "I" series intel chip - I would not build something for cheapest I can find that would do common tasks in todays world.

EDIT - depends on OS as well, Id prefer 7 over 10 depending on RAM available etc

well im here to find out the min! and its just a discussion

Dual core processor at 1.5GHz, 4GB RAM, and an SSD with DRAM cache. Anything below that and you will want to pull your hair out. I'd say the main thing is the SSD though. I work as a technician and I can't tell you how many computers feel almost brand new by simply throwing an SSD into the mix. That's bare minimum. However, I would recommend 8GB of RAM. Then again bare minimum is what you can afford. Also, bare min is going to depend on what you're planning to do. The specs I've given you are just for web browsing.

1 minute ago, tonyfweb said:

Dual core processor at 1.5GHz, 4GB RAM, and an SSD with DRAM cache. Anything below that and you will want to pull your hair out. I'd say the main thing is the SSD though. I work as a technician and I can't tell you how many computers feel almost brand new by simply throwing an SSD into the mix. That's bare minimum. However, I would recommend 8GB of RAM. Then again bare minimum is what you can afford. Also, bare min is going to depend on what you're planning to do. The specs I've given you are just for web browsing.

as i said im not planning to build such a pc  i just wanted to know what others think about "bear minimum" pcs

btw:what dual core?(whitch gen from when) 

16 minutes ago, mahyar said:

as i said im not planning to build such a pc  i just wanted to know what others think about "bear minimum" pcs

btw:what dual core?(whitch gen from when) 

I couldn't tell you any specifics as it's not something that I'm too concerned with just because if a machine is that old you should just consider getting a new one. None the less, seeing as the SATA 3.0 standard was fully released back in 2009, I would say try to stick to machines newer than that so that you can add an SSD to one if you plan to use for everyday browsing.

Edit: More specifically making sure that you actually have "native" SATA 3.0 support.

1 minute ago, tonyfweb said:

I couldn't tell you any specifics as it's not something that I'm too concerned with just because if a machine is that old you should just consider getting a new one. None the less, seeing as the SATA 3.0 standard was fully released back in 2009, I would say try to stick to machines newer than that so that you can add an SSD to one if you plan to use for everyday browsing.

thanks for your opinion 

We have an old Athlon X2 7750BE with 4 gigs of 667 DDR2 and a HD 6670 2 gig, I'd say you wouldn't want to go much lower for office and browsing on windows. Doing nothing CPU is usually at 30%. HDD is constantly working (superfetch disabled) and let's not talk about ram in chrome. For the performance it's also a power hog.

I tried to overclock a bit to get a few more years out of it but sadly the oem motherboard has about as capable of a VRM of running a 95w chip as my phone would running that CPU...

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

8 hours ago, mahyar said:

but i was forced to use a core 2 duo 1 gig of ram and 8800 gt and 160gig hdd a could get away with that

For immediate upgrade, you can upgrade to 5GB (+2x2gb ddr2).

I still use core 2 duos for ultra cheap office box, and nobody complaining.

The downside of having core2 is when you want to play 1080p youtube with the integrated (motherboard) gpu.

for a total upgrade i would suggest:

Used:

- i3 / i5 2xxx or newer

- 4gb ddr3 minimum.

New:

- Athlon 3000g, the igpu can game pretty well too. $50 of magic..

- 8gb ddr4 (cheap now)

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

For immediate upgrade, you can upgrade to 5GB (+2x2gb ddr2).

I still use core 2 duos for ultra cheap office box, and nobody complaining.

The downside of having core2 is when you want to play 1080p youtube with the integrated (motherboard) gpu.

for a total upgrade i would suggest:

Used:

- i3 / i5 2xxx or newer

- 4gb ddr3 minimum.

New:

- Athlon 3000g, the igpu can game pretty well too. $50 of magic..

- 8gb ddr4 (cheap now)

FOR 100TH TIME i just wanted to know what people think about older hardware im not crazy or something if i want build a old pc i5 2500 is minimum cpu and geforce 9600 is min gpu with 4 gig of ram and 1080p youtube is out of reach anyway if my pc can handle it my internet can't!

7 hours ago, -iSynthesis said:

We have an old Athlon X2 7750BE with 4 gigs of 667 DDR2 and a HD 6670 2 gig, I'd say you wouldn't want to go much lower for office and browsing on windows. Doing nothing CPU is usually at 30%. HDD is constantly working (superfetch disabled) and let's not talk about ram in chrome. For the performance it's also a power hog.

I tried to overclock a bit to get a few more years out of it but sadly the oem motherboard has about as capable of a VRM of running a 95w chip as my phone would running that CPU...

well i have an intel equivalent of such a machine that my sister gave me so i made a cheap nas with it   

The biggest things for me are enough RAM and an SSD for everyday computing. I wouldn't fool with anything less than 4gb in dual channel in 2020, but really a 2x4gb kit is not much now.

I have an old 2011 vintage Dell laptop with a Sandy Bridge Mobile 2-core/4-thread i5, 2x4gb of DDR3 memory, and a SATA III SSD, it's plenty to watch Youtube videos and even light gaming. A desktop Haswell i3 will trounce it and those are $15 on eBay now. Core 2 Duo is getting long in the tooth these days, they work but 2 cores/threads in 2020 wouldn't be enough for many tabs in a browser like Chrome. I retired my C2D E7400 years ago but it was also on a spinning platter drive, which I believe was it's major problem combined with just 2gb of memory. 

Bare minimum in my opinion for just general computing:

-i3 4150, 2-cores/4-threads

-2x2gb DDR3 but with ram prices on old DDR3 a 2x4gb kit makes more sense

-iGPU is fine for regular desktop use

-240gb SSD

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

22 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

The biggest things for me are enough RAM and an SSD for everyday computing. I wouldn't fool with anything less than 4gb in dual channel in 2020, but really a 2x4gb kit is not much now.

I have an old 2011 vintage Dell laptop with a Sandy Bridge Mobile 2-core/4-thread i5, 2x4gb of DDR3 memory, and a SATA III SSD, it's plenty to watch Youtube videos and even light gaming. A desktop Haswell i3 will trounce it and those are $15 on eBay now. Core 2 Duo is getting long in the tooth these days, they work but 2 cores/threads in 2020 wouldn't be enough for many tabs in a browser like Chrome. I retired my C2D E7400 years ago but it was also on a spinning platter drive, which I believe was it's major problem combined with just 2gb of memory. 

Bare minimum in my opinion for just general computing:

-i3 4150, 2-cores/4-threads

-2x2gb DDR3 but with ram prices on old DDR3 a 2x4gb kit makes more sense

-iGPU is fine for regular desktop use

-240gb SSD

thanks for your opinion

2 hours ago, mahyar said:

well i have an intel equivalent of such a machine that my sister gave me so i made a cheap nas with it   

I thought about that... But the sole Power cost during a year would justify buying a newer chip 😅

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

4 minutes ago, -iSynthesis said:

I thought about that... But the sole Power cost during a year would justify buying a newer chip 😅

no power consumption in my setup actually make sense this is why i did it 

I'd say the most common right now is an intel core i5/i7 9th gen or higher with at least a gtx 1060 or 1650. For Rtx it would be the rtx 2060 and the rtx 2050. For amd builds a ryzen 7 3700x or ryzen 5 3600 with a radeon RX 560X.

6 minutes ago, TheGrandMaster said:

Doesn’t exist. 

6 minutes ago, TheGrandMaster said:

I'd say the most common right now is an intel core i5/i7 9th gen or higher with at least a gtx 1060 or 1650. For Rtx it would be the rtx 2060 and the rtx 2050. For amd builds a ryzen 7 3700x or ryzen 5 3600 with a radeon RX 560X.

What about Intel/nVidia or AMD/nVidia?

3 minutes ago, gloop said:

Doesn’t exist. 

What about Intel/nVidia or AMD/nVidia?

sorry i meant rtx 2070 and the 2060. For amd/nvidia it works the same just a ryzen 5 3600 for budget and ryzen 7 3700x with a gtx 1060 or 1650 and Rtx would be the rtx 2060 and the rtx 2050.

bare min: 4gb RAM, 120GB SSD, Pentium processor

more practical: 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i3-10100

min for gaming: 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Ryzen 3300X, RX 570

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

You could technically get by on a $30 usd raspberry pi 3 for light office work and web browsing. I've even seen people use them to stream on youtube.