Customish keyboard

Letgomyleghoe.

With the corn detasseling season ending I have 2200 dollars to spend after all my paychecks come in. Because my target for the computer is 1080p 144fps I have quite a bit to spend on peripherals so I've decided to build a customish keyboard. The theme for the keyboard is black and gold isnspired from non other than the ltt water bottle.

Spoiler

Black & Gold LTT Insulated Water Bottle - 21oz (620ml) – Linus ...

Case and pcb: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5084

Switches: https://zealpc.net/products/zealio

Keycaps: https://kono.store/products/gmk-spirit-keycap-set

Any feedback on stuff I should change or do is welcome.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

7 minutes ago, Gundar said:

W

wont the RGB of the barebones interfere with the keycaps? theyre opaque as far as i can tell

not an expert on switches so i guess its good?

keycaps do look nice, however maybe you can get something that has transparent letters, set the RGB to gold, and see how it wokrs?

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

Hey there.

14 hours ago, Gundar said:

Would just like to mention that the GMMK PCB uses plate-mounted switches, and the Zealios are PCB-mounted switches. Disclaimer from ZealPC's site:

Please note that PCB mounted switches can still be used in many plate mounted keyboards ... you can simply cut the small plastic legs off to make them Plate-Mount!

The conversion process is irreversible, of course.

Otherwise, everything's good with your build, I think? The GMMK is a good starting keyboard (hot-swap is very convenient), and Zealio switches are a solid choice. If you can get them, those keycaps seem pretty sweet (checked the site, they seem to be out of stock?). Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! 😁👍

Edit: Small note on buying from Kono Store, the last time I ordered from them, my order took two months before shipping out. Apparently the delay was due to warehouse transitions. Checked their FAQs, and they still seem to be resolving issues with their former warehouse. Unsure whether this'll impact your purchasing and shipping experience from their store, if you haven't already gotten those keycaps.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

40 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Would just like to mention that the GMMK PCB uses plate-mounted switches, and the Zealios are PCB-mounted switches. Disclaimer from ZealPC's site:

Since i'm not in the mood to ruin a perfect $90 worth of switches do you have any recommendations on a pcb that supports pcb mounted switches preferably with back light but not a must? Also about shipping there is 1-2 months in till ampere and ryzen 4000 launches so I can wait.

Edit: I think I will send my switches to the guillotine unless I can find a tkl pcb with backlight, hot swap, and support for pcb mounted switches.

AMD blackout rig

21 minutes ago, ketchupspill said:

wont the RGB of the barebones interfere with the keycaps? theyre opaque as far as i can tell

not an expert on switches so i guess its good?

keycaps do look nice, however maybe you can get something that has transparent letters, set the RGB to gold, and see how it wokrs?

Nah I like my keycaps and rgb is just there for backlight.

AMD blackout rig

2 minutes ago, Gundar said:

Nah I like my keycaps and rgb is just there for backlight.

ah alright, then i think its all good!

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

33 minutes ago, Gundar said:

Since i'm not in the mood to ruin a perfect $90 worth of switches do you have any recommendations on a pcb that supports pcb mounted switches preferably with back light but not a must? Also about shipping there is 1-2 months in till ampere and ryzen 4000 launches so I can wait.

Edit: I think I will send my switches to the guillotine but thanks for the notice.

Clipping the legs doesn't ruin them as long as you use them on a keyboard with a plate, which is the vast majority. The only hot swaps I know of that support 5 pin switches are all either 60% or 65%. But if you're willing to solder then you have more options. 

50 minutes ago, Gundar said:

Hm... How'd you feel about the XD87 HS? It's TKL, hot-swappable, and compatible with PCB-mounted switches. Doesn't come with RGB out-of-the-box, but you can solder that in if you'd like. For the keyboard kit (PCB, stabilizers, mounting plate, and case), you'll want to look at Kit 3 (Black Case) or Kit 4 (White Case). Note that the case is plastic, and the keyboard seems to use a sandwich mounting style, versus the GMMK's aluminum faceplate plus plastic bottom, and its integrated plate (I think?) mounting style (Reference: Custom Keyboard Mounting Styles).

If you're willing to go Compact 60%, the GK61 Keyboard Kit (GK61 is wired, GK61x is wireless) and DZ60RGB Keyboard Kit are also options. Both are hot-swappable, have RGB, and are compatible with PCB-mounted switches.

Others might have better suggestions, though; I'm admittedly sorta new to the custom keeb scene. My knowledge about PCB options on the market is especially lacking. 😅

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

On 7/30/2020 at 9:43 PM, geo3 said:

Clipping the legs doesn't ruin them as long as you use them on a keyboard with a plate, which is the vast majority. The only hot swaps I know of that support 5 pin switches are all either 60% or 65%. But if you're willing to solder then you have more options. 

Is their any reason that you can't add a plate to a keyboard that has pcb mounted switches and make it compatible with plate mounted switches? Sorry for replying late I was busy.

AMD blackout rig

56 minutes ago, Gundar said:

Is their any reason that you can't add a plate to a keyboard that has pcb mounted switches and make it compatible with plate mounted switches? Sorry for replying late I was busy.

This is a dumb distinction that stuck for some reason. "PCB mount"  just means the switch has 5 pins on the bottom. "Plate mount" means it has 3.  Some PCBs have 5 holes and some have 3. The 5 hole PCBs can take either 5 or 3 pin switches. The 3 hole PCBs can only take 3 pin switches.  

5 pin switches can be converted to 3 pin by clipping the extras off. Specifically the 2 smaller plastic ones. 

All of these can be used with a plate. The plate doesn't care how many pins a switch has. 

Both the plate and the extra 2 pins add stability.  3 pin switches without a plate are less stable.