Camera on IR mode is to dark.

Strayan_Hades

Hi,

Just installed DIY security camera system for a mate and have notice that this one of his camera's is to dark during night IR mode.

The camera is a Swann PRO-1080MSB I've tried adjusting the colour and video settings in the menu still without a decent result.

Example of issue:

Camera.thumb.jpeg.feca8d9121b9d1e3977bb719fdec3a1d.jpeg

Any help on resolving this issue would be great.

Cheers.

That wall is washing out your IR.  Turn the camera away from the wall.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Yeah, basically in areas of extreme differences in light level the camera can end up with dark areas if it adjusts exposure to suit a brightly lit area.

In this case the wall is reflecting IR light back to the camera much more strongly than the rest of the scene.

Aiming it away from the wall is good advice, that would also give you more useable FOV, however assuming it's down the side of a house it may have been done for privacy reasons in respect of a neighbour. If that is the case you can put a privacy mask over the area on most cameras and NVRs.

Also you could also see if there is a setting to reduce the illumination, which may still provide enough but reduce the glare from the wall or see what it's like with just ambient light. Probably noise city but it's worth testing.

Also look at using a separate IR light source or possibly even try masking off some of the wall side LEDs if using an array/ring and not a single LED.

Also WDR and Starlight/Darkfighter/Lightfinder style low light cameras are much better in this regard also, hopefully you can find a solution with what you have though.

On 7/29/2020 at 8:20 PM, Strayan_Hades said:

Just installed DIY security camera system for a mate and have notice that this one of his camera's is to dark during night IR mode.

The camera is a Swann PRO-1080MSB I've tried adjusting the colour and video settings in the menu still without a decent result.

Any help on resolving this issue would be great.

As others have said, aim the camera away from the wall so it's pointing at something much further away. The IR in nightvision cameras bounces off objects, so it's washing out because the wall is literally 1-3 ft from the camera while the rest of the image is farther away.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)