Post your Craigslist experiences here

Quantum

No, but I do pack a knife all the time.

I've never had any serious issues with people other then the ones who started making offers on stuff in my place

or showing up at all hours of the day and night thinking because I sold them something it's my job to provide tech support

back when I was allowing people to pick things up.

The place I sell all my items that are portable on foot is in front of a store with tons of people

and no way in or out without climbing several stairs and heavy traffic blocking any fast routes

if they take something and run.

When I do trips across the country on out of the way places where I may encounter shady people

I carry a hunting/survival knife that puts Rambo's knife to shame.  Her name is "Scary" :D

never bring a knife to a gun fight tho.

Went to the naughty section and got a date. She used her sisters picture as if no one was going to find out. She had a cute face, but was faaar heavier than the picture showed. I drove several miles to her house so I got what came there for anyways.  

Casual Encounters or F4M?

If it's Casual Encounters I'm moving to Spokane

Bring a rocket launcher instead, that'll set them straight and get you arrested if not (tried and) executed in certain parts of the world. Anyway, no Craigslist stories for me and honestly, if I were to buy stuff used, I'd rather pay extra off Newegg or something than buy from anything, even a used jelly bean, off of Craigslist, much less the "services" they provide.

Scumbags lol and it's pretty crazy how often it happens.

This, for whatever reason, reminds me a joke by Chris Rock about well... scumbags who steal and say "Oh, look. You've been robbed", the day after they stole from you.

Went to the naughty section and got a date. She used her sisters picture as if no one was going to find out. She had a cute face, but was faaar heavier than the picture showed. I drove several miles to her house so I got what came there for anyways.  

I really wished I didn't read the last part of your sentence. I can't imagine what sick Twinkie binges you were sharing with her.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I'm in Canada, Guns are kinda rare and I mingle with long haul truckers and bikers from the US, they usually are packing.

Scary has been very effective at changing minds of idiots a few times.  Showing her and having a "I'm very serious" look works.

Dont have craigslist in australia so no experiences for me :S

Gumtree is our craigslist.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Casual Encounters or F4M?

If it's Casual Encounters I'm moving to Spokane

It was Casual Encounters. 

...Who steals a dog?

Junkies.

Happens all the time here in Vancouver, drug capital of Canada.

It's the expensive little dogs that people tend to tie up outside of Starbucks.

my dad bought a 30s ford body sight unseen based off photos and when he got there it was not the same body in the photos... lets just say the photo had a place for windows in the back... not windows i mean there was no back of the body at all. He found that out after a nice 6 hour drive and the guy wouldn't give the money back so we have parts of a body. 

other then that and an air compressor that didn't work when we tried to buy it most people i know that have bought and sold things on craigslist have had little to no problems 

i have no idea what u are talking about are u saying u bought a hooker service and she was so ugly u got service for free?

Edit: we dont have craigslist in australia so no experiences for me :S

http://melbourne.craigslist.com.au/

There is one for every capital city :P

LOL I wouldn't even bother with people like that.  Why would you agree on a price and not have enough when we meet.  That's just silly  :P .  

Some people are tighter than a fish's arsehole and have no shame in trying things like that.

my dad bought a 30s ford body sight unseen based off photos and when he got there it was not the same body in the photos... lets just say the photo had a place for windows in the back... not windows i mean there was no back of the body at all. He found that out after a nice 6 hour drive and the guy wouldn't give the money back so we have parts of a body. 

other then that and an air compressor that didn't work when we tried to buy it most people i know that have bought and sold things on craigslist have had little to no problems 

How much did your dad pay? Ouch though... must suck.  

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

How much did your dad pay? Ouch though... must suck.  

i think it was +$1000 maybe closer to 2 the guy tossed in a sand rail that no one wanted is the only reason my dad ended up taking the shit. so we cut the motor out of the sand rail and scrapped the rest of the sand rail but still have a firewall fof a 30s ford sadan and 2 doors that the hinges don't line up on. The motor that was in the sand rail is now in a 1941 gmc panel truck so i guess it wasn't all a waste just overpriced parts in the end.

The motor that was in the sand rail is now in a 1941 gmc panel truck so i guess it wasn't all a waste just overpriced parts in the end.

That's a good way to think about it... I guess... 

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

*snip*

I pretty much follow these all to a tee. I recommend everyone getting a Google Voice # (if you have an Android phone there's no reason not to). It keeps your real cell anonymous so you don't have to deal with crazy people. Though it's never happened, it's a simple way to deal with the crazies if they feel the need to continue to contact you after explicitly telling them you're not selling. Plus I block Paypal scammers on sight. It's a policy of mine. Awesome tips though.

Another worthwhile nugget of advice is post that you're firm on the price but list the item slightly more than what you want for it. Eight times out of ten, you'll have someone low ball you into accepting a lower price (the one you actually want) . They think they got a deal but you got what you wanted for it. Everyone wins lol. In some rare cases, people have actually accepted my higher offers and I got away with more money than I originally wanted. Their fault for not doing their due diligence. 

An experience of mine (almost sure someone trolled me)

Currently in the process of selling all of my console stuff since I don't have much time to play games anymore. Someone decides they're interested in my Killzone items. That includes the Killzone Trilogy, replica Helghast head, and an action figure. They offer me $60 and I accept. They want more pics than what I already posted so I send them. Apparently the pics never got through and they start typing in all caps at me which rustles my jimmies a bit. I ask them if I can email the pics. Apparently those never go through. At this point I have a gut feeling I'm being had but I reaaaaallly want to sell this stuff. We decide on a place to meet. I go on my lunch break to a supermarket to meet. I wait for roughly 45 minutes (when I clearly told them I had an hour to spare) and they say they're a few minutes away. I think ok cool... They proceed to say they're in the store. Wtf man get out here in meet me! An hour and fifteen minutes has now passed and I haven't got a single text from them. At this point I'm fuming but politely say "I need to get back to work, have a nice day."

Turns out I get back to work and realize I don't have my work ID to swipe into the building. It must have popped off getting out of my car to take pics for this idiot. I zoom close to 10 miles back down the street and fortunately find my ID right where I parked. 

Worse experience by far. Everything else has been relatively positive.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

It was probably someone's bike stolen from a shopping center or train station.

If you're lucky, you can find your own stolen stuff on CL/ebay/gumtree.

Too nice of bikes for that...

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

I used to have a personal business buying/selling/repairing computers. This, along with my propensity to move/sell everything that I no longer need, have led me to hundreds (maybe 500+) Craigslist transactions as buyer and as seller.

I would break it down like this:

90% of respondents are flakes, tire kickers, illiterates who don't read your for sale ad thoroughly

66% of completed transactions were fairly positive, the remaining negative in some way

20% of people I've met were liars or scam attempts (broken, stolen, or wrong model advertised)

75% condition not as good as described, with about half of these not being too egregious, but apparently everything for sale is "mint" or "like new" even when it clearly isn't

Plenty of lowballers will still low ball you even when you make it very clear that you're not negotiable on price. This happens even when the clown has you meeting him.

One of the funnier (in hindsight) stories I'd like to share involves some idiot girl who had me meet her in Lougheed Mall (an hour transit from my house). She jerked me around for well over an hour, asking basic questions (readily available specs) about the HTC that I was selling. She didn't do her homework, and at the very end, offered me HALF of my FIRM asking price because she said that the phone didn't meet her needs. If I could travel back in time, I would have reacted differently than just walking away.

It's wading through a lot of garbage to get where you want to be, but overall, Craigslist is indispensable.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

I used to have a personal business buying/selling/repairing computers. This, along with my propensity to move/sell everything that I no longer need, have led me to hundreds (maybe 500+) Craigslist transactions as buyer and as seller.

I would break it down like this:

90% of respondents are flakes, tire kickers, illiterates who don't read your for sale ad thoroughly
66% of completed transactions were fairly positive, the remaining negative in some way
20% of people I've met were liars or scam attempts (broken, stolen, or wrong model advertised)
75% condition not as good as described, with about half of these not being too egregious, but apparently everything for sale is "mint" or "like new" even when it clearly isn't
Plenty of lowballers will still low ball you even when you make it very clear that you're not negotiable on price. This happens even when the clown has you meeting him.

One of the funnier (in hindsight) stories I'd like to share involves some idiot girl who had me meet her in Lougheed Mall (an hour transit from my house). She jerked me around for well over an hour, asking basic questions (readily available specs) about the HTC that I was selling. She didn't do her homework, and at the very end, offered me HALF of my FIRM asking price because she said that the phone didn't meet her needs. If I could travel back in time, I would have reacted differently than just walking away.

It's wading through a lot of garbage to get where you want to be, but overall, Craigslist is indispensable.

That's pretty much Craigslist in a nutshell  :P

That's pretty much Craigslist in a nutshell  :P

You'll get some good people in there. :)

I pretty much follow these all to a tee. I recommend everyone getting a Google Voice # (if you have an Android phone there's no reason not to). It keeps your real cell anonymous so you don't have to deal with crazy people. Though it's never happened, it's a simple way to deal with the crazies if they feel the need to continue to contact you after explicitly telling them you're not selling. Plus I block Paypal scammers on sight. It's a policy of mine. Awesome tips though.

Another worthwhile nugget of advice is post that you're firm on the price but list the item slightly more than what you want for it. Eight times out of ten, you'll have someone low ball you into accepting a lower price (the one you actually want) . They think they got a deal but you got what you wanted for it. Everyone wins lol. In some rare cases, people have actually accepted my higher offers and I got away with more money than I originally wanted. Their fault for not doing their due diligence. 

An experience of mine (almost sure someone trolled me)

Currently in the process of selling all of my console stuff since I don't have much time to play games anymore. Someone decides they're interested in my Killzone items. That includes the Killzone Trilogy, replica Helghast head, and an action figure. They offer me $60 and I accept. They want more pics than what I already posted so I send them. Apparently the pics never got through and they start typing in all caps at me which rustles my jimmies a bit. I ask them if I can email the pics. Apparently those never go through. At this point I have a gut feeling I'm being had but I reaaaaallly want to sell this stuff. We decide on a place to meet. I go on my lunch break to a supermarket to meet. I wait for roughly 45 minutes (when I clearly told them I had an hour to spare) and they say they're a few minutes away. I think ok cool... They proceed to say they're in the store. Wtf man get out here in meet me! An hour and fifteen minutes has now passed and I haven't got a single text from them. At this point I'm fuming but politely say "I need to get back to work, have a nice day."

Turns out I get back to work and realize I don't have my work ID to swipe into the building. It must have popped off getting out of my car to take pics for this idiot. I zoom close to 10 miles back down the street and fortunately find my ID right where I parked. 

Worse experience by far. Everything else has been relatively positive.

Oh wow, I've never heard of Google Voice until now.  I'll start to use it from now on with my Craigslist posts.  

Wow... I wouldn't be the happiest camper after waiting that long to find out the buyer probably trolled you.  Do you have any other potential buyers for it now?  

Should i sell my Nvidia Shield on craigslist? its brand new, unless one of you want to buy it?

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

w4m was a big mistake.

also always go to a mcdonalds with wifi if you're buying an apple device.

reset the defice to factory settings just to make sure the iCloud lock isn't enabled.

The Syndicate

Should i sell my Nvidia Shield on craigslist? its brand new, unless one of you want to buy it?

Any reason you're selling it?  Do you think people on craigslist would be interested in buying a shield?  You can try the classifieds section on here.

w4m was a big mistake.

What happened  :P

Nigerians will offer to pay for shipping. Don't fall for it. :P

I got a comfy massaging chair I use for 20$

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."