Gamemax GM 1350 good for crossfire Vega 56

Hunted_marksman
Go to solution Solved by Mateyyy,
Just now, Hunted_marksman said:

Which one is the best psu and should I go with a higher power one if rDNA 2 is going to use alot of power 

They're about on par. 

If you can power a Vega 64 with a 550W PSU then I think it's safe to say you'll be able to power RDNA2 or Ampere.

Is the gamemax GM 1350 a safe power supply to use with dual Vega 56 set up I'll mainly using the system for rendering games and videos and I'll also be gaming on it (nms, seige, Minecraft,)  my current Vega is flashed to a 64 bios so I might flash the new one if the psu is good enough I won't be overclocking as it gives me the same result as undervolting

Thanks for the help

Nevermind, scratch that. I didn't notice Crossfire.

Edited by Mateyyy
blind

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Nevermind, scratch that. I didn't notice Crossfire.

Ohh ok no worries then do you know anything about the gamemax GM?

Ohh ok no worries then do you know anything about the gamemax GM?

I've never heard of it and I didn't manage to find any actual reviews on it. 1350W at 90 quid with a 1 year warranty though does not inspire any sort of confidence, to say the least.

If you already have the two Vegas, you'd be spending more than just 90 quid on the PSU.

If you just have a single Vega atm, I'd suggest ditching the idea of getting another one. For gaming, Crossfire/SLI is dead and the power draw and heat output you'd be looking at is just stupid.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I've never heard of it and I didn't manage to find any actual reviews on it. 1350W at 90 quid with a 1 year warranty though does not inspire any sort of confidence, to say the least.

If you already have the two Vegas, you'd be spending more than just 90 quid on the PSU.

If you just have a single Vega atm, I'd suggest ditching the idea of getting another one. For gaming, Crossfire/SLI is dead and the power draw and heat output you'd be looking at is just stupid.

Ok thanks what would you say I should do and what psu I should get as I currently have a thermal take smart RGB psu what should I get as I'll either be overclocking or undervolting

1 minute ago, Hunted_marksman said:

Ok thanks what would you say I should do and what psu I should get as I currently have a thermal take smart RGB psu what should I get as I'll either be overclocking or undervolting

I'd suggest waiting for Ampere and RDNA2 later this year if you're looking for a GPU upgrade.

The Smart RGB is really not ideal even for a single Vega 56/64. It's fairly poor in terms of quality, but fortunately it works atm for you. What PSU you should get depends on what your budget for it is and whether you're set on throwing in another Vega 56, which again I wouldn't recommend.

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

I'd suggest waiting for Ampere and RDNA2 later this year if you're looking for a GPU upgrade.

The Smart RGB is really not ideal even for a single Vega 56/64. It's fairly poor in terms of quality, but fortunately it works atm for you. What PSU you should get depends on what your budget for it is and whether you're set on throwing in another Vega 56, which again I wouldn't recommend.

Ok thanks I don't know if rDNA 2 will need that new 12pin gpu connector so I'll wait I don't know if I'll have the budget to get a new card as my Vega is worth round £200 so I might get a new psu and keep my Vega and overclock or undervolt it what would you recommend me to get i though I would need a 750w for my system as all psu calculators say and recommend a 750w

2 minutes ago, Hunted_marksman said:

Ok thanks I don't know if rDNA 2 will need that new 12pin gpu connector so I'll wait I don't know if I'll have the budget to get a new card as my Vega is worth round £200 so I might get a new psu and keep my Vega and overclock or undervolt it what would you recommend me to get i though I would need a 750w for my system as all psu calculators say and recommend a 750w

I think it's been confirmed that the 12-pin power connector is only present on OEM Ampere GPUs, not retail ones.

What CPU are you using? Even for a Vega 56/64 system, a solid 550W PSU will be enough in most cases.

PSU calculators overestimate by a lot btw.

14 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I think it's been confirmed that the 12-pin power connector is only present on OEM Ampere GPUs, not retail ones.

What CPU are you using? Even for a Vega 56/64 system, a solid 550W PSU will be enough in most cases.

PSU calculators overestimate by a lot btw.

Thanks for saying they overestimate I have a ryzen 5 2600x liquid cooled with a master liquid 240

10 minutes ago, Hunted_marksman said:

Thanks for saying they overestimate I have a ryzen 5 2600x liquid cooled with a master liquid 240

Yeah you could power that with a Straight Power 11 550W or RM550x.

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Yeah you could power that with a Straight Power 11 550W or RM550x.

Which one is the best psu and should I go with a higher power one if rDNA 2 is going to use alot of power 

They're about on par. 

If you can power a Vega 64 with a 550W PSU then I think it's safe to say you'll be able to power RDNA2 or Ampere.

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

They're about on par. 

Haha thanks I'll go with the rmx as it has alot more reviews and from what people were saying it's a good psu im going to go with the 650w version so I have some more headroom thanks for the help

13 minutes ago, Hunted_marksman said:

I'll go with the rmx as it has alot more reviews

Yeah a lot more useless 'It just works' or 'everything just works' user reviews. The main factor should be the warranty and the 12V rail setup, Straight Power is multi-rail but 5 years warranty, RMx is single-rail with 10 years warranty.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

2 hours ago, Ralf said:

Yeah a lot more useless 'It just works' or 'everything just works' user reviews. 

I wish!

9 out of 10 times, when the PSU works, the customer doesn't leave a review.

9 out of 10 times, when the PSU doesn't or stops working, the customer DOES leave a review.