Intel 7nm Delay Fallout: Law Firm Launches Securities Fraud Investigation

Agatong

Summary

It appears that Intel's technical challenges with its 7nm process will be complicated by legal challenges as well. The Hagens Berman law firm issued a press release on Friday calling for investors impacted by Intel's recent stock market losses to join a potential class-action lawsuit for investors fraud. The firm also "encourages persons who may be able to assist the Firm's investigation of possible securities fraud to contact the firm."

Intel's announcement of a delay to its 7nm process sent shockwaves through the semiconductor industry last week as the company grapples with yet another delay to a process node, leading its stock price to plummet 16% over the weekend as it shed roughly $43 billion in market cap. Bernsteins noted that Intel's most recent earnings call was 'the worst we have seen in 42 years covering Intel" and that the stock is "basically un-ownable." Naturally, investors are unhappy, and the Hagens Berman law firm encourages impacted parties that held the stock before July 23, 2020, to submit their losses for possible inclusion in a class-action lawsuit. 

Quotes

The potential class action lawsuit adds yet another task for Intel's legal machine. Intel's most recent Form 10-Q [PDF] lists several ongoing lawsuits that could impact the company, and the company says it cannot "make a reasonable estimate of the potential loss or range of losses" for several of the suits. Those include 'multiple' ongoing lawsuits for the Spectre/Meltdown vulnerabilities that have been lodged in U.S. federal and state courts (and in "certain" courts in other countries) against Intel and some of its current and former executives and directors. Intel also lists an ongoing lawsuit from the Chinese Academy of Sciences for patent infringement, along with another patent infringement suit from VLSI Technology. Intel also continues to argue the details of its 2001 lawsuit for unfair business practices against AMD. 

My thoughts

It has not been a good few weeks for Intel, with there stock dropping, not keep promises, rearranging the upper staff once again, they need to stop looking at dollar signs and start looking to make good products again.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-7nm-delay-law-firm-securities-fraud-investigation-class-action#xenforo-comments-3631578

The vultures have begun to circle...

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Bring back the sandy bridge intel!

16% poorer.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

well hopefully their 10nm arrives on time or else they would definitely get sued big time after denying delays

I'm confused as to where they think the fraud took place. Did Intel make specific promises to investors? Is this just a bunch of rich people getting litigious because they lost money on the stock market?

I thought the entire point of the stock market was sometimes you win, most of the time you lose?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

well hopefully their 10nm arrives on time or else they would definitely get sued big time after denying delays

Well, 7nm desktop is on life support from what I've been told. Earliest it could come is 2021 Q4 or Q1 2022 soooo, we may never even see desktop 10nm if things with 7nm are going this way.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm confused as to where they think the fraud took place. Did Intel make specific promises to investors? Is this just a bunch of rich people getting litigious because they lost money on the stock market?

I thought the entire point of the stock market was sometimes you win, most of the time you lose?

In short - they want to know if Intel execs or investors dumped a bunch of stock before the info went public. Basically, it's an investigation into whether select individuals abused their status to get rich before the stock plummets.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

In short - they want to know if Intel execs or investors dumped a bunch of stock before the info went public. Basically, it's an investigation into whether select individuals abused their status to get rich before the stock plummets.

Ahh, fair enough then.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, huilun02 said:

> Loses money in stocks

> Sues for "securities fraud"

Lolwut

Yeah, its 100% insider trading but I think fraud is pushing it a bit too far.

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah, its 100% insider trading but I think fraud is pushing it a bit too far.

insider trading is a form of fraud

37 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Bye Intel stock prices.

Virtual assistant: "Buy Intel stock" executed. 

10 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Unfortunately this is largely unavoidable for bigger businesses. Someone will have a go somewhere. Big drops in stock price often triggers some kind of action from stockholders.

10 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If you play the long game most of the time you'll come out ahead. Short term trading is much more risky but that's another story.

8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Basically, it's an investigation into whether select individuals abused their status to get rich before the stock plummets.

Insider trading is a big deal if proven. You don't get to exec level without knowing what it is and how not to do it. There will be processes in place to prevent accidentally doing that, but like many things, it isn't always black and white and potential wrongdoing can come down to interpretation.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I wonder if Intel will be good stock buy after few years when they get their shit together and start to be Intel again.

"Whaaaa Whaaaaaa. My stonk lost money! Investing is supposed to only go UP! Not down! Someone call the Whaaambulance!"

But also, yea, insider trading also happened. Intel has been digging their own grave for years. Dell/EMC did the same things too. It fills my little coal-black heart with joy to see them reaping the rewards of their shitty behavior.

Can someone enlighten me on what insider trading means? From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound legal.

And stocks always have been a big risk as they are too unpredictable.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Insider trading is the purchase or selling of stocks before good/bad news is released to the public (aka investors). An example would be, Intel execs know that they are having the worst quarter in the company history, so they sell millions in stock before they release that information to the public when the market would have naturally reacted. This allows the execs to sell at a max price before the stock tanks.

It also works in the opposite, if you know your company is going to have record profits, and you mass purchase stocks before that information is released, that is also considered insider trading.

1 hour ago, CTR640 said:

Can someone enlighten me on what insider trading means? From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound legal.

In the generalised case, US stocks are meant to be traded with fair and equal access to information that affects stock price. This is in part why companies have to be careful how they release information, and the information should be truthful. Elon Musk was negligent in that in his $420 tweet for example. I still think he got off very lightly for that.

Insider trading is making use of information that is not public yet in order for yourself to gain a profit. This can also include selectively giving that information to others to use. This makes it more difficult for high level management to trade stocks in their own company, since almost by definition they will know things the general public don't. That's not to say there aren't ways legally around it, but they will typically have legal advice on what they can do, and when.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Hi this is a bit weird, But I dont understand 1 word thats going on and whats happening.

But for some reason i'm interested?/

can anyone explain in a simple "ok they did this and this is going to happen and what they did" way? Thank you.

sorry 2 disturb

5 minutes ago, Yashiees said:

Hi this is a bit weird, But I dont understand 1 word thats going on and whats happening.

But for some reason i'm interested?/

can anyone explain in a simple "ok they did this and this is going to happen and what they did" way? Thank you.

sorry 2 disturb

Investigation into whether Intel executives abused their positions to get rich before the intel stock price drops because of their repeated failures with regard to the development of new litography nodes.

corrupt businessmen

who woulda thunk it

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 hours ago, CTR640 said:

And stocks always have been a big risk as they are too unpredictable.

Example: Intel boss knows a bad announcement is coming that will affect stock prices  in a significant way so the day before the announcement is made to the shareholders/public that boss sells all his stocks (and/or tells others to sell theirs too) at a high price.

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Example: Intel boss knows a bad announcement is coming that will affect stock prices  in a significant way so the day before the announcement is made to the shareholders/public that boss sells all his stocks (and/or tells others to sell theirs too) at a high price.

i believe there are rules in place and they must file with sec also?

wasnt there a conversation on this before here?

cant remember

12 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

The stock market isn't gambling, at least not in the context you basically described "sometimes you win, most of the times you lose"

A proper stock trader (eg, not a day trader ignoramus or high speed trading robot) researches the companies before putting money into them, and then hopes to either sell at a higher valuation, or collect dividends.

Stocks that pay dividends are more immediately valuable to long-term people who want to see results, and high speed trading can't typically wreck it. The ability to short-sell a stock results in these rapid changes in stock price, and a company can quite literately have it's market cap driven below it's net present value, from a feedback effect of high speed trading amplification behaving irrationally.  Trading algorithms are easily manipulated by idiots on Twitter linking to fake news about companies, and you need to look no further than the stock symbol on twitter to see stuff like that. 

Anyhow, I don't particuarly see a case for fraud unless they're going to frame it as "Intel new the 10nm and 7nm nodes were a waste of money, and proceeded to promise the shareholders that they were going to be ready, when they were really going to have to abandon some/all of it."

By all accounts, Intel is a full two nodes behind by the time they release anything, so if they're not going to be releasing 5nm chips in 2021, they are going to get spanked real hard by AMD, since OEM's will have had plenty of notice to get-out-now.