Why do rich people read books and keep telling you to get books if you can get them free well if you have amazon ebook thing??

WolfLoverPro

I always hear rich people tell you to read but why books if you can just read everything online or even video?

This is one of the most nonsense posts I've ever read. It sounds like you've got your own issues to work out.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

12 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

I always hear rich people tell you to read but why books if you can just read everything online or even video?

A book is still a book regardless of whether it's paper or a PDF, or the original word document, or even the version control "database" used to create it.

Also, please define "rich people"...?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

48 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

A book is still a book regardless of whether it's paper or a PDF, or the original word document, or even the version control "database" used to create it.

Also, please define "rich people"...?

They clarify hardback books though never any other version + they say build a library of books shelves like they have which is a lot 

6 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

They clarify hardback books though never any other version + they say build a library of books shelves like they have which is a lot 

Who? Who are "they"?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Rich people are old.  Old people like dead tree reading material.  It does have the advantage that it can’t be messed with and can be easier on the eyes.  They might mean read older or at least real books.  Online chat isn’t exactly herodatus.  Back when publishers decided what was worth printing a lot of the garbage got sifted out.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

People like showing off a big collection of physical books. Guess there's a bit of pride to it if they read all of it.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

A couple of reasons people recommend reading books over watching videos, documentaries or blogs:

When you read a book you generally have to read it through before you can decide if you agree or not and the only thing that is occurring when you are reading is your interpretation of the words on a page. Unlike today's videos which are typical made to be as entertaining as possible, often light on the details and qualifications and include a lot of extra information like music, visuals and historic photos/footage which can not only be irrelevant but also  are designed to lead the viewer into a specific mindset.  This can and does distract from proper critical appraisal (especially if you are looking for knowledge).

Also anyone can create a video,  you have to be fairy well established and backed to get a book published.  Yes there are shit books out their that are written solely to lead people astray (davinci code and their ilk etc) however it is much easier to find respected reviews on published lliterature and counter arguments from equally qualified (if not more qualified) people.  Unlike videos and their ilk you have to wade through a cesspool of websites and youtube comments to find anything that might be helpful in actually understanding the authors authority on said topic.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, vong said:

People like showing off a big collection of physical books. Guess there's a bit of pride to it if they read all of it.

A lot of people like to just claim they read all the books they've collected; many of them haven't actually read even a small fraction of them, they just like to pretend they are intelligent and educated and better than you. Someone having a large collection of books is not proof of them having read any of the books themselves.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, vong said:

I used to have a a rather largish book collection.  For some of us it's just like any other collection.  I have had to thin it down though so my collection is basically science, religion and philosophy, cars and trains and The entire works of terry pratchett (still working on the stuff published after he died).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

30 minutes ago, mr moose said:

A couple of reasons people recommend reading books over watching videos, documentaries or blogs:

When you read a book you generally have to read it through before you can decide if you agree or not and the only thing that is occurring when you are reading is your interpretation of the words on a page. Unlike today's videos which are typical made to be as entertaining as possible, often light on the details and qualifications and include a lot of extra information like music, visuals and historic photos/footage which can not only be irrelevant but also  are designed to lead the viewer into a specific mindset.  This can and does distract from proper critical appraisal (especially if you are looking for knowledge).

Also anyone can create a video,  you have to be fairy well established and backed to get a book published.  Yes there are shit books out their that are written solely to lead people astray (davinci code and their ilk etc) however it is much easier to find respected reviews on published lliterature and counter arguments from equally qualified (if not more qualified) people.  Unlike videos and their ilk you have to wade through a cesspool of websites and youtube comments to find anything that might be helpful in actually understanding the authors authority on said topic.

In art they called it planar information.  There’s a bromide that’s goes “a picture is worth a thousand words”. There’s a certain point to it, but it can be taken several ways.  It’s much easier to BS someone with a picture.  One way to think of it is  Writing is serial, pictures are parallel.  An image comes at you in a single wave, and can evoke emotion and tertiary thought instantly.  Doing so allows one to inject stuff that might normally be rejected as garbage. It’s one reason pictures are so popular in ads.  It can be done with writing but it’s harder and tends to require so many words that people don’t read them.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Rich people (or perhaps successful people) recommend reading books because it's one of the more productive and useful hobbies that you can have. It forces you to focus more on what you're doing and helps you gain some new perspective on a particular subject. That is if you're reading the right books. 

Reading a book online is still reading a book. Watching a video is not and your conflation of the two makes me think you haven't read a single book in your life...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I got dumber for having had read the OP

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Also anyone can create a video,  you have to be fairy well established and backed to get a book published.

Nah, you can self publish so long as you have a bit of money and some publishers are willing to publish anything if they think it might sell... it's still important to be selective about what you read or at least be aware of the context they exist in.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Nah, you can self publish so long as you have a bit of money and some publishers are willing to publish anything if they think it might sell... it's still important to be selective about what you read or at least be aware of the context they exist in.

But they will not put to retail nor will it be advertised to any markets unless you are willing to stump up the cash for that too (a lot of cash).  I had a friend publish his own book (2 now).   You certainly won't find your book in any library or on anyone's latest release lists.  In fact the best you can hope for is they give it an ISBN and list it as available. 

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

And then you have 6 cases of books in your living room that no one will read.  Self published anything had a truely awful reputation for a very long time.  I’ve only ever read one self published book.  The guy in the store warned me that it was self published. I was young.  I learned why self published book aren’t worth reading.  It was a rant about how Jesus was alive in the basement of the Vatican being fed on blood provided by the horrifically corrupt and vile organization that was the Catholic Church. Lots of broad analogies.  Very Anne Rand if Anne Rand had a deep problem with the Catholic Church instead of democracy.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

And then you have 6 cases of books in your living room that no one will read.  Self published anything had a truely awful reputation for a very long time.  I’ve only ever read one self published book.  The guy in the store warned me that it was self published. I was young.  I learned why self published book aren’t worth reading.  It was a rant about how Jesus was alive in the basement of the Vatican being fed on blood provided by the horrifically corrupt and vile organization that was the Catholic Church. Lots of broad analogies.  Very Anne Rand if Anne Rand had a deep problem with the Catholic Church instead of democracy.

Sure, I was just saying that the simple fact that a book was published isn't a guarantee of quality.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Sure, I was just saying that the simple fact that a book was published isn't a guarantee of quality.

But it is a much better guarantee than any video or documentary. by a long shot.  The sheer cost to publish and advertise and ROI is so vastly different to Video publishers don't waste their time/money on halfa's. 

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

It can be an implication of it.  Sometimes a false one.  More often than not though any book published by a major publishe will have gone through slush (from which less than 5% of works survive) been edited at least once (usually more) and then reviewed and oked as salesworthy at several levels befor ever appearing at a store.  And that’s just the crap sci-fi/fantasy.

what?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Ccleaner-Boot-Windows-in-Safe-Mode-Heade