hd 4000.

TripleP46

Skip ahead to the Asterisks to skip the back story and get to the question....

I understand that this question will probably only pertain to maybe 3 people....but I'm curious and could not find anything on the internet so, here I am in my first LTT post!

I have an old lenovo t430 laptop which I love.  It's upgraded to 16 gb of ram and a 512 gb ssd.  It's sole purpose has been work/school productivity which it has accomplished perfectly.   My girlfriend has recently gotten into play video games, of all games WoW.  She has a newer laptop with vega 8 graphics so it crushes WoW with no problem.  My laptop on the other hand runs at a sweet 15-35 fps average with no more settings to lower.  I actually have a couple of gaming desktop rigs in the house so I know the answer would already be to just play on those....but given my laptop scenarios and trying to solve the casual hanging on the couch gaming session,,,,,

*****Here's my question....   Would upgrading from an i5 3320m to an i7 3840qm yield a GAMING performance boost that's worth spending 170ish USD and a couple hours of my time?

I'm trying to figure out if more cores would help the HD 4000 graphics to run, or is it completely independent and it's own thing where it would only see a boost in performance from actual higher hd4000 clocks and 10 more watts of power consumption available to it on the 3840qm?

I appreciate the person(s) who actually take the time to read this mostly useless post and actually dignifies it with an answer.   You are a true hero.

4 minutes ago, TripleP46 said:

I understand that this question will probably only pertain to maybe 3 people....but I'm curious and could not find anything on the internet so, here I am in my first LTT post!

I have an old lenovo t430 laptop which I love.  It's upgraded to 16 gb of ram and a 512 gb ssd.  It's sole purpose has been work/school productivity which it has accomplished perfectly.   My girlfriend has recently gotten into play video games, of all games WoW.  She has a newer laptop with vega 8 graphics so it crushes WoW with no problem.  My laptop on the other hand runs at a sweet 15-35 fps average with no more settings to lower.  I actually have a couple of gaming desktop rigs in the house so I know the answer would already be to just play on those....but given my laptop scenarios and trying to solve the casual hanging on the couch gaming session,,,,,

*****Here's my question....   Would upgrading from an i5 3320m to an i7 3840qm yield a GAMING performance boost that's worth spending 170ish USD and a couple hours of my time?

I'm trying to figure out if more cores would help the HD 4000 graphics to run, or is it completely independent and it's own thing where it would only see a boost in performance from actual higher hd4000 clocks and 10 more watts of power consumption available to it on the 3840qm?

I appreciate the person(s) who actually take the time to read this mostly useless post and actually dignifies it with an answer.   You are a true hero.

Hardly. Even if the price was $40 I would say it wouldn't be worth it. Theres too many variables, such as is the chip sautered on the the motherboard, and did you know that for $150 you could go out to walmart and purchase a better-performaing laptop? Yeap. There's $150 walmart laptops with third-gen ryzen 3's and radeon 3 graphics that will still beat the poor old Intel HD graphics up. 

I think that even if you chonk out the $170 to upgrade (which is ***far*** too much), It would only really slightly help the performance if at all. Recently, I've looked at some Leveno flex 14's, which are slim, light and come with some decent graphics, at a good price. This is the best bang for buck deal I've found so far: https://www.costco.com/lenovo-flex-5-14"-2-in-1-touchscreen-laptop---amd-ryzen-7-4700u---1080p.product.100579313.html 

IPS display, Slim bezels, 16gb of ram, a 512 gb m.2, and the 4700u. It has radeon 7 graphics, but is fairly up to par with the radeon 8 graphics. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

15 minutes ago, TripleP46 said:

$170 worth it. NO. You're running on a mobile Ivybridge chip and to be honest, mobile chips don't age well compared to their desktop counterparts.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

22 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Yea, I figured the answer was just to buy a new laptop.  I just love this laptop so much and i wish i could give it a boost to keep it for years more.  The unfortunate life of a laptop.....    I appreciate your info on that lenovo flex though, it's not too expensive and you get a lot of laptop for the money

46 minutes ago, TripleP46 said:

Would upgrading from an i5 3320m to an i7 3840qm yield a GAMING performance boost that's worth spending 170ish USD and a couple hours of my time?

It won't be worth it for gaming. the iGPU is the limiting factor, and the quad core's iGPU is not any faster. Be very careful if you do upgrade, T430's need heatsink mods to keep 45 W CPU's cool.

30 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

mobile chips don't age well compared to their desktop counterparts.

> My 3610QM and my 3770K have the exact same silicon design. Not sure where you're getting this, but the only difference is the laptop chips have a lower TDP/clock speeds...

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

6 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

My 3610QM and my 3770K have the exact same silicon design. Not sure where you're getting this, but the only difference is the laptop chips have a lower TDP/clock speeds...

Well your 3770K has a better cooling solution even if you're using the stock intel cooler. You have more power, which means potential for more clock speed and a higher over clock. Mobile chips have a tendency to runs hot, thermal throttle. The desktop chip also has more cache. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, TripleP46 said:

There are no real tangible benefits. If the laptop is already running with dual channel RAM then there nothing else you can really do. Just be glad that it's not the HD3000 graphics, which my sister's laptop has (i5 2540M). That barely handles even vanilla Minecraft.

You could always look at mid range laptops from around 2010/2011 as a cheap replacement - Something with a Phenom II P920 (goes to N970 - and lets you upgrade to DDR3 1333) or i5 M 540 (is a lot faster than an i3 7100U) and Mobility Radeon HD5650 are decent. Both my old laptop and my Aunt's could play relatively modern games quite well (and the GPU overclocked by 145MHz). World of Warships for example could run at a solid 60 with a mixture of medium and low.

Edit: BTW, it was the pre Intel HD graphics that relied partially on the CPU, which is why it's not worth the cost. Going from a Celeron M380 to Pentium M770 back in the day made a huge difference (Portal 2 became even more playable).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL