How Do I Get 4.5 Amps To A Computer Fan?

Astolfo

So I was going to buy the delta PFR0912XHE computer fan but saw that it draws about 3.7 to 4.5 amps and I don't know how to power it.

Just a general newbie asking for some help.

are you sure 4.5 amps? you mean 54 watts to a fan?!?!?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

You can supply a 5v fan with 10 amps but the fan will only pull what it needs. At 5v the fan will only use what it designed to use by wattage. There is more to it than that but yeah.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

This is the "Bloweymatron" from LTT videos. If you haven't seen (or heard) this fan, check out those videos. This isn't a fan you actually want in your PC.

If you want to power it inside your PC, you can probably jerry-rig a PSU power connector into the fan. (molex->3-pin maybe?) if you want to power it outside the case you could probably use a bunch of AA batteries in series maybe?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

6 minutes ago, Astolfo said:

So I was going to buy the delta PFR0912XHE computer fan but saw that it draws about 3.7 to 4.5 amps and I don't know how to power it.

Just a general newbie asking for some help.

First off, what are you planning on using the fan for? 

The fan is 12VDC. Looking over the datasheet the red wire is positive, black negative. Yellow is PWM control and blue is frequency.

Be careful if you try wiring it up because on ATX Power supplies +12v is yellow and +5v is red.

If you're planning on using it in a PC (which I wouldn't recommend) you could probably use a molex (4pin peripheral) connector for power (12v and ground). Black to black and red wire from the fan to the yellow wire (12v) on the molex from the PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I'm planning on installing it in my pc but I have it in another room so the sound isn't much of a concern. The only problem is the power, how do I get 4.5 amps to a fan?!?

7 minutes ago, Astolfo said:

I'm planning on installing it in my pc but I have it in another room so the sound isn't much of a concern. The only problem is the power, how do I get 4.5 amps to a fan?!?

but... why

i promise you you'll hear it from 3 rooms away

as people have said, u could power it using molex, one fan per chain

just... use a normal case fan like a sane person

also, quote people when replying so they'll see it

welcome to the forums!

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

On 7/25/2020 at 9:06 PM, Astolfo said:

You need external PSU or direct molex from PSU to fan. Delta's are meant for servers, desktop motherboards aren't suitable. If you want high airflow fan, look at iPPC line-up from Noctua instead.

You probably won't be needing either, really. Those are for situations where case isn't designed for airflow and fans need to push massive amount of air through tight chassis.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 7/26/2020 at 9:17 PM, LogicalDrm said:

... If you want high airflow fan, look at iPPC line-up from Noctua instead.

You probably won't be needing either, really. Those are for situations where case isn't designed for airflow and fans need to push massive amount of air through tight chassis.

agreed. An ordinary desktop doesn't need anything more than a 3000rpm ippc. I think OP underestimates the noise a delta would make. Imo even 2000rpm 120mm fans are useless thanks to the noise they make.

A delta in a desktop is the stupid kind of overkill

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II