Why do you think Intel has been struggling?

Hey LTT! First time poster here so pls be nice :)

Wanted to get some opinions on why Intel has been struggling. I took a look at their financials and found that they spent between 8x - 15x what AMD did on R&D over the last few years. The ratio was even higher before Zen/Ryzen. In fact, Intel spends far more on R&D than AMD, Nvidia, and TSMC combined. To put some hard numbers on it, last year, Intel spent US 13.5 billion dollars on R&D while AMD spent under US 2 billion. In fact, Intel's R&D budget is almost 2x AMD's revenues. 

Given the fact that their former CEO has been a lifelong engineer (I consider Brian Krzanich to be more responsible for the company's problems since he was CEO until 2019, and even Lisa Su took far longer than 18 months to turn AMD around) and they obviously have a lot of really talented people there, why do you think Intel just can't get their act together? After all, their Client Compute Group/Data Center Group account for >85 percent of the business, almost all their profits and the vast majority of their R&D expenses. 

Maybe

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

its not their cpu design thats the problem its that they cant produce the chips and i think its because they are targeting such high densities. saying your 10nm is more dense than tsmc's 7nm is all nice and good except you cant fucking produce any. and instead of learning a lesson and scaling back their 7nm density they are still trying to produce it at a ridiculously high density which just seems like hubris at this point

I would guess that they've expanded to so many different areas because there wasn't any competition and have lost focus on the PC consumer space and they didn't expect AMD to come back hitting this hard, so with all the responsibilities on their hand it's hard to refocus, AMD started development on Zen from 2012 so you can imagine how long that process takes and every architecture they've released has been in development long before that, they came with a solid plan and they've been improving performance year after year even in massive ways starting from Zen 2 and now another major advancement with Zen 3 and another with Zen 4, it's gonna take a while for Intel to catch up

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

its not their cpu design thats the problem its that they cant produce the chips and i think its because they are targeting such high densities. saying your 10nm is more dense than tsmc's 7nm is all nice and good except you cant fucking produce any. and instead of learning a lesson and scaling back their 7nm density they are still trying to produce it at a ridiculously high density which just seems like hubris at this point

Do you think there's something fundamentally wrong with Intel's approach? They seem to be much worse than TSMC even though they're spending a lot more money. 

As I understand it, the micro architecture is quite different. Intel is trying to build off of their old stuff, while AMD made a brand new architecture with Zen. Keep in mind that Zen was actually pretty bad at launch, it was just very good for AMD (who'd had a very bad decade). Intel also can't just copy AMD's method because that would lead to enormous legal trouble.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, Syn. said:

I would guess that they've expanded to so many different areas because there wasn't any competition and have lost focus on the PC consumer space and they didn't expect AMD to come back hitting this hard, so with all the responsibilities on their hand it's hard to refocus, AMD started development on Zen from 2012 so you can imagine how long that process takes and every architecture they've released has been in development long before that, they came with a solid plan and they've been improving performance year after year even in massive ways starting from Zen 2 and now another major advancement with Zen 3 and another with Zen 4, it's gonna take a while for Intel to catch up

I made some additions to my post. The vast majority of their revenues, profit and R&D are for CPUs.

Sounds like you think this is a timing issue. Do you think they can come back in a few years? The company does have a ton of cash (>20 years worth of AMD's R&D expenses haha)

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

As I understand it, the micro architecture is quite different. Intel is trying to build off of their old stuff, while AMD made a brand new architecture with Zen. Keep in mind that Zen was actually pretty bad at launch, it was just very good for AMD (who'd had a very bad decade). Intel also can't just copy AMD's method because that would lead to enormous legal trouble.

Are you referring to infinity fabric? I thought that glue logic was a standard industry thing. They just confirmed that their upcoming GPU has a chiplet design 

I remember when they were laughing about "glued together chips". Looks like it blew up in their faces. 

My guess would be as Intel have grown they became the typical large corporate company, extremely risk adverse and lots of bureaucracy.

9 minutes ago, JustSomeDude124 said:

I made some additions to my post. The vast majority of their revenues, profit and R&D are for CPUs.

Sounds like you think this is a timing issue. Do you think they can come back in a few years? The company does have a ton of cash (>20 years worth of AMD's R&D expenses haha)

I didn't say it wasn't CPUs but they have way more CPU designs than AMD especially in the server/business space, only just recently they've cancelled their Itanium lineup which has been in development and research since 2001 but it wasn't being sold to any consumer they are forced to provide support for it because other major businesses rely on you to release those processors, it's unknown if that had to do with AMD bringing back competition or if it was planned beforehand, but yeah I'd say it was bad timing and bad luck with COVID being around and the 10nm and 7nm failures, that's what I meant by they have way more things to take responsibility for and it was just too big for them to handle

I'm certain they will come back but I would never be able to guess when, AMD has been calculated with their CPU releases

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

I think it's mostly down to just pure anti-consumer behavior. While AMD does have some confusion at the lower end, it's mostly pretty straight forward. You just pick how many cores you want for the most part.

Intel on the other hand has a hugely confusing lineup with chips that can overclock or not, chips with chips with varying cores and clocks at the same range, chips with SMT or not, and various other features they turn on or off to differentiate products where no meaningful difference exists.

Luke was just saying on the WAN show tonight that he thinks the best thing they could do is just pick a few key chips, focus exclusively on those, and then take the fight to AMD on price. That would drastically reduce costs because differentiation means more fabrication. They'll never do that though. It's traditionally been much more popular to nickel and dime consumers for features, and they haven't realized even to this day that that doesn't work when you've got a competitor that gives consumers everything unlocked.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

13 hours ago, JustSomeDude124 said:

Are you referring to infinity fabric? I thought that glue logic was a standard industry thing. They just confirmed that their upcoming GPU has a chiplet design 

I remember when they were laughing about "glued together chips". Looks like it blew up in their faces. 

Intel got mocked to hell and back for trying to dismiss AMD's chiplet design as "glued together". It's never been a bad thing. But yes, Infinity Fabric is one of the things I'm talking about.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Maybe if Intel ditch their fabs and try to become fabless like AMD? Also cut prices will make them competitive and ditch all the restrictions...

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

Intel hardly struggles. They have, and have had, way more R&D to work with. 

This title is CBAF.

Intel is struggling? What led you to this conclusion? What's the purpose of a company? To produce the fastest (consumer) CPUs? No, the point is to generate self-sustaining profit as well as paying dividends to shareholders. And Intel generates money, lot's of it. I've attached the 2019 annual report, do you really think a company with a free cash flow of 16.9 billion USD, who paid a total of 5.6 billion USD in dividends and generated a net income of 21.048 billion USD is struggling? I call that very successful.

Don't get me wrong as I'm by no means a Intel fanboy. In fact I stuck with AMD even through the FX desaster because I've always thought that competition is important and I wanted to support them by purchasing their products. But calling Intel "struggling" while they sit on a huge pile of money? That's a bit far fetched.

2019-Annual-Report.pdf

There is no replacement for RGB except more RGB ?