Is corsair TX-550M enough for my PC's power needs ?

Yaxir

Hey there LTT community 🙂

My old PSU, went bad and started producing strange noises, so i had to remove it from the PC

I'm currently in the market for a new PSU. I am looking for a safe and reliable option, as the Electricity delivery here is a bit tricky. 

Currently, the main main issues

1. frequent power outages ( i don't know which protection of the PSU will help in protecting from this )

2. Voltage fluctuations ( very occasional but they do happen, i think the OVP in a PSU can protect from that )

3. possible but v.rare current fluctuations ( which means that i might need OCP in PSU )

My specs are :

CPU : Ryzen 1500x

MOBO : X 370 ( the exact model is : Battle AXE C.X370M-G DELUXE V14 )

HDD : 1 TB HDD WD Green

RAM: 12 GB RAM ( different frequencies, but they run on 2133 Mhz a/c to task manager )

GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB

I am looking at the Corsair TX-550 M PSU. I am a bit skeptical about 550W being enough to power my system, especially during gaming ? 

I am also looking at Corsair CX-750 PSU. I read a review on PCpartpicker, that this PSU does not have enough protections ... so again i am a bit skeptical

Kindly please let me know which one of these would be the better choice for my PC, esp keeping in mind the components and the electricity issue i mentioned above.

Link to the Website selling PSUs in my country :

TX 550 M link :

https://easetec.com.pk/product/corsair-tx550m-550w-80-plus-gold-semi-modular-power-supply-price-in-pakistan/

CX 750 link :

https://easetec.com.pk/product/corsair-cx750-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply-price-in-pakistan/

Thank you LTT community

P.S : i hope this is not against the rules, but i would like to draw the attention of the esteemed and respected Mr. @jonnyGURU, who is Director R&D at Corsair. It would be an honor if he can provide his valuable opinion and input here.

A TX550M would pair nicely with your components.

750W is totally unnecessary, since your system will only pull ~300W at full 100% load.

Also, beside the point: I would strongly advise you invest in an SSD, even if it's a fairly cheap, small one (as long as it's got a DRAM cache on it). Windows 10 on a hard drive is slow in general, but on a WD Green - I don't even want to imagine how it runs. And by running your memory in single-channel (since I assume you've something like three 4GB sticks?) you're losing quite a significant amount of performance.

Edited by Mateyyy

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

10 hours ago, Yaxir said:

I am a bit skeptical about 550W

tx550m is more than enough.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The TX550M would pair nicely with your components.

750W is totally unnecessary, since your system will only pull ~300W at full 100% load.

are you sure ... that the PC will pull ~300W even when the CPU and GPU are under full load, during heavy gaming ?

aren't AMD GPUs more power hungry and have higher transient loads on PSU ?

1 minute ago, Yaxir said:

Currently, the main main issues

1. frequent power outages ( i don't know which protection of the PSU will help in protecting from this )

2. Voltage fluctuations ( very occasional but they do happen, i think the OVP in a PSU can protect from that )

3. possible but v.rare current fluctuations ( which means that i might need OCP in PSU )

Get a UPS.

2 minutes ago, Yaxir said:

I am looking at the Corsair TX-550 M PSU. I am a bit skeptical about 550W being enough to power my system, especially during gaming ? 

I am also looking at Corsair CX-750 PSU. I read a review on PCpartpicker, that this PSU does not have enough protections ... so again i am a bit skeptical

550W is more than enough for your system.

PCPartpicker comment section does not equal a review. It's just random people on the internet saying anything they want. Whoever said the "CX does not have enough protections" has no idea what they're talking about. The CX series has full suite of protections that you would expect.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

are you sure ... that the PC will pull ~300W even when the CPU and GPU are under full load, during heavy gaming ?

yes. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, Yaxir said:

aren't AMD GPUs more power hungry and have higher transient loads on PSU ?

the rx580 draws a max of 240W

the 1500x draws a max of 75W.

the rest of the system is at around 50W.

so in total under stress test your system draws 365W.

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

550W is more than enough for your system.

PCPartpicker comment section does not equal a review. It's just random people on the internet saying anything they want. Whoever said the "CX does not have enough protections" has no idea what they're talking about. The CX series has full suite of protections that you would expect.

understood and thanks for the clarification :) 

appreciate your input

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

Also, beside the point: I would strongly advise you invest in an SSD, even if it's a fairly cheap, small one (as long as it's got a DRAM cache on it). Windows 10 on a hard drive is slow in general, but on a WD Green - I don't even want to imagine how it runs. And by running your memory in single-channel (since I assume you've something like three 4GB sticks?) you're losing quite a significant amount of performance.

Is it electronically dangerous to run different frequency ram sticks together ?

i have got an original Kingston 4GB stick paired with an original ADATA 8GB stick ... let me know if there's anything i should correct there ... one is 2400 MHZ and the other is i think 2666 MHZ ...

i was looking for an M2 SSD, since the mobo has a slot for it, but i will add it after i have enough money to buy one ( COVID has made stuff expensive af )

can you tell me what is wrong with a WD green HDD ? like anything i should be aware of ? esp with regards to data loss prevention or anything ?

all of them will run at the speed of the slowest one.

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, Yaxir said:

i have got an original Kingston 4GB stick paired with an original ADATA 8GB stick ... let me know if there's anything i should correct there ... one is 2400 MHZ and the other is i think 2666 MHZ ...

It won't damage anything, it's just that they'll run in single-channel instead of dual-channel and run at the frequency of the slowest stick. It's just not ideal for performance, that's all.

5 minutes ago, Yaxir said:

can you tell me what is wrong with a WD green HDD ? like anything i should be aware of ? esp with regards to data loss prevention or anything ?

It's just super slow. I've personally got one in my daily system for storage. Reliability-wise, mine has been running for around 6 and a half years now with no issues, if that's anything to go by.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

the rx580 draws a max of 240W

the 1500x draws a max of 75W.

the rest of the system is at around 50W.

so in total under stress test your system draws 365W.

Thanks for this ! 

I always wondered about what was the individual power pull of each individual component 

5 hours ago, Yaxir said:

Yes Sir, i have a Servo Motor based AVR 

https://w11stop.com/stabimatic-sf-1500c-avr

An Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR) is not the same as an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). The AVR makes sure a constant voltage level is delivered. A UPS provides emergency power to a load when the input power source fails. So a UPS will help with your frequent power outages.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Which is not a UPS.

Would have appreciated your input on the PSU instead, sir 😁

Yes indeed, its not a UPS. As you might figure, such things are quite costly here ( like seriously costly for the consumer in sharp contrast to other countries) 

Will get one when the pocket allows 🙂

Feel free to give any more guidance as and if you see fit ! 

Well, my point is that an AVR only boosts voltages if they drop down below a certain threshold.  Beyond that, it does nothing because there is no power to boost.  Does your mains ever drop as low as 90V?  And if so, for how long?

This DOES pertain to the power supply.  The CX and TX-M can still run at full power when mains drop as low as 90V.  Not all PSUs can do that.  And if the mains drop out below that, the hold up time capability of the PSU comes into play; with the TX-M having a longer hold up time than CX.

17 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Well, my point is that an AVR only boosts voltages if they drop down below a certain threshold.  Beyond that, it does nothing because there is no power to boost.  Does your mains ever drop as low as 90V?  And if so, for how long?

This DOES pertain to the power supply.  The CX and TX-M can still run at full power when mains drop as low as 90V.  Not all PSUs can do that.  And if the mains drop out below that, the hold up time capability of the PSU comes into play; with the TX-M having a longer hold up time than CX.

Hmmm... Now that you mention it, i feel i should mention the voltage drops. 

This summer i haven't seen any drastic drops in voltage (esp anything similar to going as low as 90 V from the standard 220 V) BUT there have been instances where it may drop a little bit, to around 200. Or maybe even go to 180 or 160 V but rarely. 

Regardless, i never trust the electricity provider of the city and would take every possible precaution to protect the PC components from any electrical mishap. 

Thanks for letting me know about the hold-up time ! And about the capability of these Corsair PSUs to run even at low mains voltage ! 

Ok.   If your voltage doesn't drop that much, you don't even need that AVR on your Corsair PSU.

Only if you had a 230V only PSU like the CM Elite or Antec VP-P or the like.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 10:34 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.   If your voltage doesn't drop that much, you don't even need that AVR on your Corsair PSU.

Only if you had a 230V only PSU like the CM Elite or Antec VP-P or the like.

hey there Mr.Johnny

so a little bit of advice needed. stocks are tight in Pakistan and i have had trouble finding the TX550M or even the TX650M in stock across the computer shops in my city.

i haven't asked for the availability of the CX750 model but it may be available.

would my specs ( as listed in the OP ) pair safely with the CX750 ? is there any danger to my components if i use the CX750 instead of the TX550M ?

5 minutes ago, Yaxir said:

hey there Mr.Johnny

so a little bit of advice needed. stocks are tight in Pakistan and i have had trouble finding the TX550M or even the TX650M in stock across the computer shops in my city.

i haven't asked for the availability of the CX750 model but it may be available.

would my specs ( as listed in the OP ) pair safely with the CX750 ? is there any danger to my components if i use the CX750 instead of the TX550M ?

i could also use your opinion, guys = @Mateyyy , @TofuHaroto, @Spotty, @MrBrightSyde and @boggy77

i am going to the main market in 16 hours and could use some quick advice ..

P.S sorry if it is rude to tag people, not my intention to break any rules here. if something here seems to be against the forum rules, my apologies mods !

1 minute ago, Yaxir said:

am going to the main market in 16 hours and could use some quick advice ..

Well if you can go for the txm then go for that. 

550w is plenty and the txm afaik is just a better unit than the cxm. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Well if you can go for the txm then go for that. 

550w is plenty and the txm afaik is just a better unit than the cxm. 

alright mate.

going to try my very best to find a TXM unit and will (probably) go over budget if the prices are stupid due to covid-19

wish me luck !

8 minutes ago, Yaxir said:

alright mate.

going to try my very best to find a TXM unit and will (probably) go over budget if the prices are stupid due to covid-19

wish me luck !

cx550 will be fine as well.