Intel's 7nm is broken, company announces delay until 2022, 2023

illegalwater
On 7/26/2020 at 6:12 AM, hishnash said:

They can go smaller still the issue is you need to increase the frequency of the lazer light you are using (aka reduce the wave length) doing so also however also makes it much harder to make these machines... they are already into the deep ultraviolet spectrum as some point soon they will be entering the x-ray section of the spectrum when this happens the cost of making the machines will go up massively making cor-herant x-ray lasers is not something we are good at yet.. 

we have been already using deep uv for decades, and are just now moving to extreme uv, which is almost x-ray but not, i dont expect another light change anytime soon as they can do 2 pases if they need more resolution.

On 7/26/2020 at 6:48 AM, gabrielcarvfer said:

There is some really cool research going into this. I remember a few from years ago working on copper and graphene sheets crossing the different layers to spread the heat more evenly.

Some working on nanotubes to exchange heat using liquids (don't remember if vapor-chamber like or not, but I believe high pressure inside layered glass isn't a bright idea).

Advanced Materials and Materials Today are probably the best places to look for related research. :)

might as well move to another material for the really high speed stuff instead of finding harder and harder methods to cool it down. some guys are working on diamond based wafers, that would be the shit, one of the best thermal conductivity ever, really high clocks, they just need to figure out how to make the thing and dope it, they already had either p or n type working but they where having trouble with the other one.

23 hours ago, leadeater said:

Yea I would expect that to be a thing now, takes a rather long time to get any traction in the OEM market from customers. A lot of that is just device life-cycles and also in part to the fact CPUs really not mattering that much at all, I could do my job equally effectively with either so I don't have a specific reason as an employee to ask for one or the other.

The current Ryzen mobile CPUs really will change the narrative as there is more tangible benefits on that platform like better battery life and significantly better performance enabling the ability to do things that were not possible or were prohibitive before. That's just how much better Ryzen mobile is now.

renoir is crazy, like its 45w H version has a 1400 cinebench score, my 2600 at 4.3ghz all core only does 1500, and i only payed 600 euros for the laptop