Is this B550 motherboard wireless better than

Go to solution Solved by Haro,
5 minutes ago, Yashiees said:

Should I choose the asus one that comes with the wifi

Well no not really it's not Worth it. The a pro is great and you can always go wired. If you can't you can just add a wifi card. 

getting a cheaper b550 motherboard without no wifi- so I buy a seperate wireless card?

- https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-B550-F-Motherboard-Addressable/dp/B088VSTS9H/ref=pd_di_sccai_1/144-2092913-6661263?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B088VSTS9H&pd_rd_r=aa7d4046-4785-4a58-bd5c-77194f6d7b06&pd_rd_w=IqHFX&pd_rd_wg=Upq6q&pf_rd_p=5415687b-2c9d-46da-88a4-bbcfe8e07f3c&pf_rd_r=RTQC6EA5FPYAJ8M43K38&psc=1&refRID=RTQC6EA5FPYAJ8M43K38

this is my current chosen b550 mobo. 

Should I choose the asus one that comes with the wifi? or just stick with the one I have and get a seperate wireless card. 

5 minutes ago, Yashiees said:

Should I choose the asus one that comes with the wifi

Well no not really it's not Worth it. The a pro is great and you can always go wired. If you can't you can just add a wifi card. 

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

okie dokie :D

thats one expensive A-pro, considering the tomahawk is at £160 rn

you can opt for this board 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/RhrYcf/msi-mag-b550m-mortar-wifi-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-mag-b550m-mortar-wifi

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

On 7/23/2020 at 11:17 PM, Yashiees said:

you sure it'll fit a everything?

I'll also be adding an elgato.

It will fit. The issue with the b550m mortar is that the second m.2 and the bottom 16x slot (4x electrical) share lanes. So you can either use a card in bottom slot 16x slot or two m.2 drives. Good to know for future upgrades

Looked up the b550-a pro as well. It to has the same limitation . Second m.2 disable the second 16x slot (4x electrical). 

If your elgato is a 1x card it can sit in one of those but otherwise you have to make a choice of the future m.2 upgradability or find a motherboard without that tradeoff. 

B550 often have one tradeoff so decide what you want, regardless of mATX or ATX. 

B550m tuf gaming do not have limitations on the second 16x which could interfere with a second m.2 and if you can use a GPU with a pcie layout one slot down in your case (It do for example not work in my case and is the reason I can't use the b550m tuf gaming)

But the b550m tuf gaming plus WiFi and b550 tuf gaming DO have a limitation to limit the second 16x slot (4x electrical) to 2x when a card is used in a 1x slot. 

So be careful. Look in the user manual or the SPECIFIC board you plan to use as it can vary within added WiFi versions. It is located in the intro specification under expansion slots or m.2 slots in the manual, it usually have an asterisk on pcie limitations 

15 hours ago, infigo said:

It will fit. The issue with the b550m mortar is that the second m.2 and the bottom 16x slot (4x electrical) share lanes. So you can either use a card in bottom slot 16x slot or two m.2 drives. Good to know for future upgrades

Looked up the b550-a pro as well. It to has the same limitation . Second m.2 disable the second 16x slot (4x electrical). 

If your elgato is a 1x card it can sit in one of those but otherwise you have to make a choice of the future m.2 upgradability or find a motherboard without that tradeoff. 

B550 often have one tradeoff so decide what you want, regardless of mATX or ATX. 

B550m tuf gaming do not have limitations on the second 16x which could interfere with a second m.2 and if you can use a GPU with a pcie layout one slot down in your case (It do for example not work in my case and is the reason I can't use the b550m tuf gaming)

But the b550m tuf gaming plus WiFi and b550 tuf gaming DO have a limitation to limit the second 16x slot (4x electrical) to 2x when a card is used in a 1x slot. 

So be careful. Look in the user manual or the SPECIFIC board you plan to use as it can vary within added WiFi versions. It is located in the intro specification under expansion slots or m.2 slots in the manual, it usually have an asterisk on pcie limitations 

So which b550 motherboards dont have a tradeoff and everything can fit? 

2 hours ago, Yashiees said:

So which b550 motherboards dont have a tradeoff and everything can fit? 

The reason I ask is that there are very few B550 boards with a 4x secondary slot AND a second 4x pcie drive. Most often you get either but not both, Asrock B550m Steel legend can give a 4x slot and a 2x m.2, the more expensive B550 Tuf gaming can ether have 4 1x cards or one 4x card, it have a stand alone socket for wifi and a 4x nvme drive. 

But if I know your actual needs then we can save you some money. 

So what version of elgato do you use? Because if it is the 4k60 card which uses a 4x slot you have to start making a choice of the rest of the options or get a X570 which have more pcie lanes. If it is the regular 1080p60 card which uses a 1x slot then you have a lot of choice and we only have to find a motherboard where the GPU is not covering the 1x slots.

Otherwise the more expensive B550 Tuf gaming can ether have 4 1x cards or one 4x card, it have a stand alone socket for wifi and a 4x nvme drive. 

4 hours ago, infigo said:

The reason I ask is that there are very few B550 boards with a 4x secondary slot AND a second 4x pcie drive. Most often you get either but not both, Asrock B550m Steel legend can give a 4x slot and a 2x m.2, the more expensive B550 Tuf gaming can ether have 4 1x cards or one 4x card, it have a stand alone socket for wifi and a 4x nvme drive. 

But if I know your actual needs then we can save you some money. 

So what version of elgato do you use? Because if it is the 4k60 card which uses a 4x slot you have to start making a choice of the rest of the options or get a X570 which have more pcie lanes. If it is the regular 1080p60 card which uses a 1x slot then you have a lot of choice and we only have to find a motherboard where the GPU is not covering the 1x slots.

Otherwise the more expensive B550 Tuf gaming can ether have 4 1x cards or one 4x card, it have a stand alone socket for wifi and a 4x nvme drive. 

I'm actually getting an elgato prob around next year.

I'm not that tech savvy.

but im also buying a separate wireless card

+ a nvme ssd

I dont really know everything about mobos.

2 hours ago, Yashiees said:

I'm actually getting an elgato prob around next year.

I'm not that tech savvy.

but im also buying a separate wireless card

+ a nvme ssd

I dont really know everything about mobos.

Which capture card are you thinking of?  Is it the 4k card or the Full HD card? 

If you get the Asus B550 Tuf gaming plus you will be fine ether way. You can buy the card and antennas separate (usually cheaper) by buying a AX200 or 9260 NGFF m.2 card and antennas, One example wifi kit.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pnqBD3/asus-tuf-gaming-b550-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-b550-plus

A little cheeper is the Asus PRIME B550-PLUS but if you want wifi on that one AND use the 4k elgato capture card, your Graphics card have to be a maximum of 2 slot wide.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TR848d/asus-prime-b550-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-b550-plus

The Graphics card you looking at now, its cooler pertrude a bit over the metal back plate which will cover where the wifi card would sit on the prime (If using the 4k capture card)

If you only want the 1080p FHD capture card elgato sells then either of the motherboards will do and you can put 1x cards wherever you want in it. 

I would pay the extra 20$ for the TUF Gaming plus when you already spend 1150$ and not have to really care of the spacing and layout.

But adding wifi usually costs about 30$ which on the TUF is almost in the ROG B550-F wifi price range. 

If you plan to buy the 1080p card it is much easier as any capture card or wifi card can be placed wherever but if using the 4k capture card, then there is only one way things can sit and it may be anoying to deal with. 

15 hours ago, infigo said:

If you get the Asus B550 Tuf gaming plus you will be fine ether way. You can buy the card and antennas separate (usually cheaper) by buying a AX200 or 9260 NGFF m.2 card and antennas, One example wifi kit.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pnqBD3/asus-tuf-gaming-b550-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-b550-plus

A little cheeper is the Asus PRIME B550-PLUS but if you want wifi on that one AND use the 4k elgato capture card, your Graphics card have to be a maximum of 2 slot wide.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TR848d/asus-prime-b550-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-b550-plus

The Graphics card you looking at now, its cooler pertrude a bit over the metal back plate which will cover where the wifi card would sit on the prime (If using the 4k capture card)

If you only want the 1080p FHD capture card elgato sells then either of the motherboards will do and you can put 1x cards wherever you want in it. 

I would pay the extra 20$ for the TUF Gaming plus when you already spend 1150$ and not have to really care of the spacing and layout.

But adding wifi usually costs about 30$ which on the TUF is almost in the ROG B550-F wifi price range. 

If you plan to buy the 1080p card it is much easier as any capture card or wifi card can be placed wherever but if using the 4k capture card, then there is only one way things can sit and it may be anoying to deal with. 

most likely the HD 1080P/60FPS capture card. 

I'll prob go for the asus TUF b550-PLUS 

i was going for this type of wifi card.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubit-1200Mbps-Bluetooth-Wireless-2×Antenna-WIE7265-4-2-Intel-AC-Dual-band/dp/B07FSG5W9Q/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=wireless%2Bcard&qid=1588616710&sr=8-4&th=1&tag=linustechtips-21

16 hours ago, infigo said:

Also, Would everything fit on the B550 A-PRO?

I'm most likely not going to upgrade the m.2 or get use more m.2 

55 minutes ago, Yashiees said:

Also, Would everything fit on the B550 A-PRO?

I'm most likely not going to upgrade the m.2 or get use more m.2 

Yes of only using a 1080p version of the card. It will work on the B550 A-Pro but you will not be able to use a second m.2 ssd. With a graphics card that is strictly 2 slots wide then the wifi card could fit in the above 1x slot. At least you know the limitation on that board

B550 Tuf gaming and the Prime B550 will both be able to use a second M.2 regardless where the wifi and capture card is placed, even with a wider graphics card (the one you have listed now is a little bit wider than 2 slots.)

1 hour ago, infigo said:

Yes of only using a 1080p version of the card. It will work on the B550 A-Pro but you will not be able to use a second m.2 ssd. With a graphics card that is strictly 2 slots wide then the wifi card could fit in the above 1x slot. At least you know the limitation on that board

B550 Tuf gaming and the Prime B550 will both be able to use a second M.2 regardless where the wifi and capture card is placed, even with a wider graphics card (the one you have listed now is a little bit wider than 2 slots.)

okay then :)  I've opted for a asus tuf b550 plus - Someone said the chipset runs quiet hot on the tuf plus b550?

4 hours ago, Yashiees said:

okay then :)  I've opted for a asus tuf b550 plus - Someone said the chipset runs quiet hot on the tuf plus b550?

Should not be may different from other b550 boards in terms of chipset or its cooling and the vrm is good.

On 7/26/2020 at 5:31 PM, infigo said:

Should not be may different from other b550 boards in terms of chipset or its cooling and the vrm is good.

hii!

One of the asus boards just dropped in price. 

would this be good? https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-B550-F-Motherboard-Addressable/dp/B088W7RKVZ/ref=pd_di_sccai_1/144-2092913-6661263?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B088W7RKVZ&pd_rd_r=da679f54-3d3f-440c-bc9f-0a6f41b694bf&pd_rd_w=zHhoZ&pd_rd_wg=8StjP&pf_rd_p=5415687b-2c9d-46da-88a4-bbcfe8e07f3c&pf_rd_r=KBJ6B0XV30AJF1G5KFTE&psc=1&refRID=KBJ6B0XV30AJF1G5KFTE 

it has x2 slots of m.2 and good amount of space between the gpu and the other pcislot

On 7/30/2020 at 12:24 PM, Yashiees said:

Yeah it is a good one if the price is right