AT&T tells consumers to change their phones since they will stop working

spartaman64

Amid an economy-crushing pandemic, AT&T has decided that now is the best time to send a scaremongering email to some customers, telling them that their device "is not compatible with the new network and you need to replace it to continue receiving service." The email conveniently doesn't even explicitly mention that this will only affect customers as late as February 2022, only linking to that information.

The email's formatting suggests that the easiest path forward is just getting a new phone via the carrier straight away: It advertises that AT&T makes "getting a new device online easy," detailing various free and fast shipping options. Someone who just skims over the mail without clicking the red "Learn More" button might conclude they need a new phone right now.

at-t-mail-new-phone-or-else-1.pngat-t-mail-new-phone-or-else-2.png

You might think that this isn't a widespread issue since most modern phones support 4G data and calling (or HDVoice, as AT&T calls it). However, AT&T only whitelists a small number of handsets it directly sells to customers for 4G voice calling, and it looks like identical non-carrier phones don't necessarily work with the carrier's HDVoice service, like the aforementioned Galaxy S10e. Depending on how many handsets are incompatible, this email might have gone out to a significant amount of subscribers.

source: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/22/att-tells-customers-to-change-their-phones-or-they-wont-work-anymore/

Seems like a desperate move to try to get more sales because they had poor numbers. They should have had more information in the emails instead of leading people to think their phones will stop working soon especially with the pandemic. 

qRRHKiv.gif

This is pretty repulsive tactics by AT&T, likely to get older customers to upgrade their aging phones, and boosting sales.

I could totally  see someone less tech savvy or older falling for this: "Oh no, I'm going to lose service, I should buy a new phone!"

unknown.png?width=677&height=629

PHISHY as hell, if I do say so myself.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Does this mean they are turning off 2G and 3G?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

It is time for the FCC to step in and get rid of these carrier locked phones in the first place. Which sure as hell doesn't benefit the consumer and makes it possible for stuff like this to happen. Then again the FCC is next to worthless these days as they are in the pocket of the large corps and isps. What good is a consumer protection group that doesn't actually protect us.

If they had a massive exodus to other providers they would quickly change their tune on this. but what we truly need we will never see since these companies pay millions of dollars blocking any competition that might offer us something worthwhile .

The biggest slap in the face is if I OWN the phone and it has all of the functionality, but is being blocked by their crap software/bootloaders... then why do they have the right to tell me what I can and cannot do with said device. With all of these bootloaders it is becoming increasingly hard to root these devices an gain the proper admin access we should enjoy on these from DAY ONE!

16 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Aaaaand this is why i never buy a phone(or any device for that matter) from the carrier........

exactly

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

carrier locked phones

That is still a thing?

in what banana republic are you living ;) ?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

"AT&T tells consumers to change their phones since they will stop working"

Are they going out of business? Because if not, they will for advocating their customers move to Verizon. 😏

i blame the people who still keeps buying phones from carriers

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

at-t-mail-new-phone-or-else-1.pngat-t-mail-new-phone-or-else-2.png

source: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/22/att-tells-customers-to-change-their-phones-or-they-wont-work-anymore/

Seems like a desperate move to try to get more sales because they had poor numbers. They should have had more information in the emails instead of leading people to think their phones will stop working soon especially with the pandemic. 

Nah. I've worked for AT&T Wireless. It's almost certainly this:

a) the system is automated, it sees that the IMEI of the device registered is of a 3G-only or pre-VoLTE device

b) the system checks the last time they upgraded. If they have not upgraded their device since their last contract renewal, it creates a marketing plan and executes it.

AT&T Wireless, at least pre-cingular, you could basically get a free phone every 6 months if you paid attention to your contract time. The phones would be trash-tier, but they would be new. 

If there is more than 6 months remaining in a contract, it's not supposed to offer anything that would renew the contract because that is more expensive to AT&T. The ideal time to get a contract renewal is to anytime in the last 90 days of the contract, because that locks the customer in for longer, and AT&T gets more money out of them.

That is why, make sure any time you accept a devil's deal from your wireless carrier, that you get something for it. Because they will convince you to renew your contract just to lock you into worse promotions. Promotions can expire, but only if you change the plan. Hence it's never worth changing the plan for ANY reason, and thus remain month-to-month until the wireless company offers you a deal you actually want.

Hence this mass data mail-out is almost certainly triggered by those who have not replaced their device with one from AT&T (and thus the last IMEI is still on the line) in the last 2 years or have 6 months or less on their contract with no VoLTE device on that line. If you bought a phone directly from an Apple store, or an unlocked device elsewhere, chances are you likely got the mailout too.

Like it's not inherently evil to do this, but it's also not terribly honest because users who have non-VoLTE devices can just hang on to them until their contacts are up and then ask for better upgrades, or get a better offer from another carrier. Not that the carriers have been competitive at all since the disappearance of Sprint and Nextel.

8 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Aaaaand this is why i never buy a phone(or any device for that matter) from the carrier........

The issue with AT&T is that restrict features like Wi-Fi calling and HD Voice to just phones sold by them, running their firmware (in the case of Android phones). Since some unlocked phones (they're relenting on this with iPhones and Samsung phones) lack VoLTE, they won't work anymore when the 3G network gets shut down.

Verizon and T-Mobile/Sprint are also shutting down their 3G networks, but they allow most newer unlocked devices to access features like Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE.

They're hands down the worst carrier in the US when it comes to using an unlocked device.

22 hours ago, williamcll said:

I think most carriers killed 2G. But 3G is probably on the chopping block as well. They will need the bands to do 5G and expand 4G. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 7/22/2020 at 2:20 PM, williamcll said:

They turned off 2G years ago. If I recall, T-Mobile made a big deal out of how they would still have 2G until 2020 and tried to acquire all of the customers.

47 minutes ago, ryao said:

They turned off 2G years ago. If I recall, T-Mobile made a big deal out of how they would still have 2G until 2020 and tried to acquire all of the customers.

Very wrong. T-Mobile did not have a 2G network, at least not by the marketing used in the US.

But this requires re-framing the entire "2G, 3G" problem.

Verizon (then GTE), AT&T, US Cellular, Cingular, Sprint, Nextel, Alltel and so forth's "2G" networks were all AMPS (Analog, 1G)-compatible networks. So all the predecessor networks were AT&T and whoever was "B side" spectrum. AT&T had half (A carriers), other local carriers (B carriers) had the rest (I'm recalling information that is very obsolete, so don't nitpick this.) This was all 850Mhz spectrum.

In 1984 AT&T was broken up, and some fun things happened. It resulted in several fragmented 2G networks.

D-AMPS aka PCS was all 1900Mhz spectum. This split into TDMA (AT&T, Western Wireless(T-mobile as Voicestream), Cellular One (Cingular)) and CDMA (Western Wireless(Cellular One), Verizon, Sprint, Alltel), with Nextel using an entirely different incompatible system called iDEN. All of these 2G networks were shutdown by the end of 2009.

For all intents, all 2G service in the United States and Canada ended in 2009. However what is called 3G in North America (GSM) is actually 2G in Europe.

AT&T's "3G" network was GSM-EDGE, and really it was 2.5G in internal systems. UMTS was the 3G network. So you had some phones that would say 2.5G, some would say EDGE, some would say 3G, and some would say 3.5G depending if they were using the GSM voice mode or EDGE(2.5G)/HSPDA(3.5G) data features. GPRS(2G) was supported but pretty much unused by the GSM devices as most devices at the time did not have bluetooth, and devices required tethering to use GPRS and it was slower than dialup. EDGE wasn't that much of an improvement. 

LTE is 4G. LTE-Advanced, is also... 4G

Devices that support LTE/LTE-Advanced also have GSM/UMTS/HSPDA radios in them and can not simultaneously use them. This is also why Verizon models that used the CDMA2000/1X voice mode, can not simultaneously use voice and data. Only LTE where VoLTE is supported can do that as only one radio is needed. CDMA2000/1X support requires two entire radio stacks in the chip and additional power amplifiers. As it is, most CDMA2000 cell phones do not support the AMPS mode anyway, as there hasn't been an AMPS network to connect to in 10 years.

So when Verizon and Sprint shut down their "2G" networks, they are really talking about their AMPS/D-PCS compatible networks, but those were running their own "3G" tech that has nothing to do with GSM 3G. Verizon is shutting down their CDMA2000 network this year, Sprint is still in the process of migrating things to T-mobile, but the same would be expected by next year.

This is why AT&T and T-Mobile shutting down their "legacy" networks, the 3G GSM networks is going to be a thing in the next 2 years as well. By the end of 2022 there should only be LTE/LTE-advanced networks in north America, and we will finally be back to one standard like it was in 1983.

T-Mobile started as GSM, so by US definitions, it started as a 3G network, under the brand Voicestream, which was later acquired by T-Mobile (Germany.) This also kinda hobbled it since GSM devices could not use the D-PCS or AMPS networks. 

The relationship between all the pre-4G carriers and each other is complicated as there's basically a babybell explosion in 1984, followed by multiple independant cellular networks before they all started merging with each other.

Verizon and AT&T are the surviving companies of the baby bells and their wireless ventures merging. 5 of the 7 became AT&T again. 1 of the 7 became Verizon, and the last one is CenturyLink which is actually a major internet backhaul carrier and didn't venture into wireless.

While we're at it, for completeness. 

Bell Canada hadn't been a part of the "bell system" for decades before the breakup, and thus was independant of goings on in the USA. Bell operates the Central/Atlantic Canada wireline and wireless

GTE (Verizon) owned investments in BCTel in Canada, prior to the breakup of the US Bell system, and references to GTE can still be found in pre-Telus documentation. BC Cellular was an early AMPS network. 

GTE created Sprint but had to operate it independently.

Rogers Wireless was previously known as Cantel AT&T, and previously just Cantel. AT&T owned part of Cantel at the time before Rogers bought it out. Rogers Wireless (as Cantel) operated 2G TDMA and GSM 2G networks.

BellSouth (BellSouth Mobility) and SBC (which had Cellular One) created Cingular One out of their previous AT&T spectrum assets, on GSM.

So what was sometimes called a 2G network on one carrier was a 3G network on another. Even some pre-LTE stuff that AT&T and T-Mobile engaged in called their 3.5G networks 4G. They also did this with 5G and had their arm twisted to not do it.

So AT&T has announced their 5G network now. Like literately today. Available August 7th.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/23/21335456/att-5g-network-nationwide-verizon-hbomax-warner-date

Both AT&T and rival Verizon have faced challenges about previous 5G claims; last year, the National Advertising Review Board recommended AT&T stop using its “5G Evolution” branding for its 4G networks because the claims could mislead customers into thinking they were actually getting 5G. AT&T agreed to stop using the branding for advertising and marketing campaigns, but it said it wouldn’t remove the “5G E” logo from smartphones. And just last week, National Advertising Division recommended Verizon stop making claims about its 5G coverage and speed, which it said were misleading about where 5G would be widely available.

Like literately, Verizon and AT&T were renaming their LTE service to 5G and just going "whatever"

Yeah, got that notification email a few days ago.  I reported it to "abuse@att.net", but then found out that it's an actual email from AT&T.  

They need to explain it better, doesn't make me want to buy a phone from them.  It's the opposite, I'll continue buying used smartphones from shady, suspicious people on Craigslist. 🤣

"You're my dearest friend & my love. You lit my path through darkness & I'll stand with you...to whatever end." -Leliana (DAO).

Don't want to fan the flames here, but T-Mobile is pretty good. Moved from ATT to T-Mobile a while ago, kept the same phone, just replaced the SIM, got a lot faster service and a lot cheaper. Even kept the same phone number. Took around 15 minutes at the T-Mobile store. Probably do it all online now.

Flame away folks!

29 minutes ago, willies leg said:

Don't want to fan the flames here, but T-Mobile is pretty good. Moved from ATT to T-Mobile a while ago, kept the same phone, just replaced the SIM, got a lot faster service and a lot cheaper. Even kept the same phone number. Took around 15 minutes at the T-Mobile store. Probably do it all online now.

Flame away folks!

No flames from me, glad to hear you like the carrier, especially after the T-Mobile/Sprint merger.

I've been an AT&T customer for nearly 20 years, but if my Note 9 stops working by Feb 2022 (assuming I still have it) because it's not compatible with the network upgrade, I'll be upset.  But knowing me, I haven't left by now, I'll probably never leave.  So, I'll end up buying a used/refurbished smartphone that's compatible because I refuse to spend $1,000 + on a new phone.  That kind of $$$$ can go towards my gaming rig upgrade...haha!

"You're my dearest friend & my love. You lit my path through darkness & I'll stand with you...to whatever end." -Leliana (DAO).

Classic murican telecoms

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

1 hour ago, Results45 said:

Does this mean that this flip phone of mine is Dead?

Depends. Does it support LTE, if not then likely at some point. I know that many flip phones back in the day only did up to 3G, as there was no point to give them LTE and at the time VoLTE wasn't a thing. But now that VoLTE is a thing, I think some flip phones have moved to LTE. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, Results45 said:

Does this mean that this flip phone of mine is Dead?

IMG_20200724_155355.thumb.jpg.422459a7f55c191fd420553e7125ff8c.jpg

Almost certainly. If it doesn't show "4G" or "LTE" where it says 3G then it it's not an LTE device.

To tell if it supports VoLTE you need to locate the settings for network and see if there is a VoLTE/LTE switch. Phones made after 2016 should support it, but it may be network-dependent.

The fact that an iPhone 5S will be bricked is unreasonable, that was a phone they sold refurbished not long ago.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1