Memory questions/issues [G1.Sniper Z87 w/ 8GB G.Skill Sniper]

To start some specs:

- mobo: G1.Sniper Z87 (rev 1.1)

- cpu: i5 4670k (running stock)

- mem: 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 MHz (running @ 1600MHz)

- psu: Corsair AX860

- gpu: GTX 780Ti

- storage: Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD + Seagate 2TB + 3TB

Alright, first of all I'm running my memory at 1600MHz.  That's what my mobo automatically set it at.  When I manually set it to 1866MHz, I get instability by way of "insufficient memory" pop-up in Windows.  Also to make note, I was getting these errors from playing games like Hawken and Castlevania:LOS.  But these two 4GB sticks are advertised at 1866MHz, yet out of box run best at 1600MHz.  Seems a bit strange to me, can't be right can it? (Solved by PassionFruit)

But, I'm still getting more "insufficient memory" pop-ups than I'd like running 8GB @ 1600MHz.  I've noticed that I'll get these pop-ups when I run MAGIX Movie Editor Software 2014 and DayZ.  The video software I can understand since it's video editing software.  But, software specs say recommended memory size is 4GB with a min of 1GB.  I'm running 8GB, but I understand the "standard" for an editing rig should be 16GB.  But still, should I be getting "insufficient memory" windows from just editing 10-20 mins of video with no sound, minor color correction and small simple transitions?

With DayZ Standalone, yeah it's beta and I'm sure there are memory leaks or unoptimised and it's really the only game I had errors with.  Although just today (March 2nd, 2014), I got the memory errors with a total system crash just from downloading Assassin's Creed 4 and Far Cry: Blood Dragon.  That's all I had open!  Ubisoft's Uplay to download these two games and crash??  That just doesn't add up.  I've also noticed that when I have just windows open, like from a fresh boot, 30-50% of my memory is already taken up.

I feel like I'm having some strange memory things going on and just want to reach out to the forum to see if anyone has run into anything like this.  I was thinking about getting different memory from a different company to see if there is any change, but that won't be for another week.

Any help would be great, thanks ~

The frequency has to be set to 1600MHz since Intel's processors can only use 1333 and 1600 type RAM. It doesn't affect your performance at any way so it doesn't have to be on the 1866 setting.

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

dont set your ram voltage/timing/frequency manually unless you know what you are doing. Bios automatically sets ram to lower speeds. To run it at rated speed you need to enable the XMP profile in bios. That should load up the rated speeds and voltage for the ram.

Edit: if you're still having problems try updating your motherboards bios. Theres also a chance that one of your sticks is bad too so I would run a memory checker.

The frequency has to be set to 1600MHz since Intel's processors can only use 1333 and 1600 type RAM. It doesn't affect your performance at any way so it doesn't have to be on the 1866 setting.

Ah great, now in the know.  Thanks.

dont set your ram voltage/timing/frequency manually unless you know what you are doing. Bios automatically sets ram to lower speeds. To run it at rated speed you need to enable the XMP profile in bios. That should load up the rated speeds and voltage for the ram.

Edit: if you're still having problems try updating your motherboards bios. Theres also a chance that one of your sticks is bad too so I would run a memory checker.

I've heard running XMP profile is pretty much overclocking, true?  Anyhow, keeping it stock for now at 1600.  I did update my bios, which it needed and just from that I saw memory usage in Task Manager go down on a fresh boot.  I also ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic that's built into Win8.1 but no results popped where they should so I found another test program called MemTest86 and that was very thorough.  No errors found.  So I'm going to use the system a bit now that things have changed and see if I run into these errors some more.  Hoping that bios update was the main issue.  Thanks for the help~

Yah set the xmp profile is under the memory settings I have same bord and I run 1866 all day but some haswell cpus can oc with some high ram settings so u have to find happy between the two but if u running stock u can XMP and run 1866 all day. More then likely u where just telling it 1866 with auto and it was giving wrong times and also volts

Ah great, now in the know.  Thanks.

I've heard running XMP profile is pretty much overclocking, true?  Anyhow, keeping it stock for now at 1600.  I did update my bios, which it needed and just from that I saw memory usage in Task Manager go down on a fresh boot.  I also ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic that's built into Win8.1 but no results popped where they should so I found another test program called MemTest86 and that was very thorough.  No errors found.  So I'm going to use the system a bit now that things have changed and see if I run into these errors some more.  Hoping that bios update was the main issue.  Thanks for the help~ 

I believe anything above 1600 is considered "Overclocking" but the ram is rated to run at that speed and the motherboard should support it. It will run just fine with xmp profiles on. No warranty is voided and no negative effects should occur.