how can i make ads load but not animate?

i'm wondering how i cna make ads on websites load in but not animate. the reason i ask is because i really dislike adblock, however due to the recent death of my pc i'm forced to use my macbook pro as main computer, and well, my macbook is old. on sites with particularly bad ads it takes like 10 seconds to load them with 100% cpu. enabeling adblock makes it load them in like 4 seconds. 

but, i believe in the website owners getting paid for my visit. so, i'd like for the ads to load in so they get paid, but not animate and slow my machine down to a crawl. 

i'm using google chrome so a chrome extention would be best for this, but i'm willing to switch to another browser if i have to. 

She/Her

You can't. If it uses animated gifs, apng, etc... or something of that nature, you can prevent certain file formats from loading.

The animated images themselves shouldn't be that taxing however, it will probably be more of the JavaScript running in the background that ads and other functions of the site load in. Ad's can run a multitude of JavaScript tasks when they load in, usually tracking related and ticks for rotation. Bring more than one ad and you could have the same script running multiple times. If you start blocking JavaScript however, then your already breaking ads and possibly breaking the site your visiting as most are built heavily on it.

So the simplest answer is you probably need a ad blocker if your system can't keep up.  This was a issue back in the day when I first started web development and its a issue now, the only difference is, computers have gotten a lot faster and JavaScript is more widely used and poorly implemented now than it was then.

5 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

the only difference is, computers have gotten a lot faster and java script is more widely used and poorly implemented now than it was then.

yeah, especially the last few years which has widened the gap significantly. in 2017 when all 13" Mac's were still duacore for example my 2012 could keep up. but now it's getting slower and slower. 

She/Her