1660 Super: Good purchase?

Whateverchan

I have to RMA my MSI X 5600 tomorrow, and I want to get an NVIDIA card right away since I won't be able to run my PC without a GPU. I have a 3600 CPU, that's why.

I'm planning to get a 1660 Super MSI X from Bestbuy for $290 or so (after tax). That will save me about $40, more or less, instead of getting a 2060 EVGA which is the same price as the 5600. No, I am not getting another AMD card. I thought about getting the 2060 EVGA, but heard its fans are loud and it runs quite hot often. The other 2060 cards are out of my budget. I was already stepping a little out of my budget range, $300, with the 5600 MSI, and I don't think I should go any further. The 2060 MSI X is very good looking, I admit, but I can't justify paying an extra $70. Now, that leaves the 1660 Super. I've checked the benchmarks and reviews. I don't care much for RTX or DLSS, so the only thing that concerns me is the lower 10-20 fps on average. I don't play AAA games often, except for maybe Final Fantasy, Battlefield, and Doom, so I guess it won't run too bad in the future. On top of my head, the other games I'll play are Tekken, Yakuza, DBZ, God Eater, DMC, etc. and Blender and Unreal Engine for game development, but that's later on in the future. Maybe some video editing software, and game recording. I have a 1080p monitor. Is it a good idea to stay with 1080p for a few more years, with this set up, then upgrade to possibly 4k in about 4-5 years? Would this card be good enough to play AA games at max settings? I was hoping to beat the PS5, lol, but doesn't look like it's possible for now.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

7 minutes ago, Whateverchan said:

I have to RMA my MSI X 5600 tomorrow, and I want to get an NVIDIA card right away since I won't be able to run my PC without a GPU. I have a 3600 CPU, that's why.

I'm planning to get a 1660 Super MSI X from Bestbuy for $290 or so (after tax). That will save me about $40, more or less, instead of getting a 2060 EVGA which is the same price as the 5600. No, I am not getting another AMD card. I thought about getting the 2060 EVGA, but heard its fans are loud and it runs quite hot often. The other 2060 cards are out of my budget. I was already stepping a little out of my budget range, $300, with the 5600 MSI, and I don't think I should go any further. The 2060 MSI X is very good looking, I admit, but I can't justify paying an extra $70. Now, that leaves the 1660 Super. I've checked the benchmarks and reviews. I don't care much for RTX or DLSS, so the only thing that concerns me is the lower 10-20 fps on average. I don't play AAA games often, except for maybe Final Fantasy, Battlefield, and Doom, so I guess it won't run too bad in the future. On top of my head, the other games I'll play are Tekken, Yakuza, DBZ, God Eater, DMC, etc. and Blender and Unreal Engine for game development, but that's later on in the future. Maybe some video editing software, and game recording. I have a 1080p monitor. Is it a good idea to stay with 1080p for a few more years, with this set up, then upgrade to possibly 4k in about 4-5 years? Would this card be good enough to play AA games at max settings? I was hoping to beat the PS5, lol, but doesn't look like it's possible for now.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I don't have the 1660 Super, but my brother has the base 1660 and it runs pretty good with AAA games. Almost every game can crank to max, except we've seen some issues Modern Warfare with super high SSAO. As long as you don't leave DirectX Ray Tracing on, you should be set.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

I would either spend those extra $40 on the 2060, or get a cheaper 1660 super model. there's no need to spend $290 on it when there are $230 models that work just as well.

Those are before tax. Probably gonna be at least 250-260 with tax. I think the least expensive model is Evga.