M.2 NVMe SSDs not detected on cold boot. Works fine on restart. (New PC).

mawadhi
Go to solution Solved by mawadhi,

I followed my hunch and replaced the PSU (and power cables), and so far the PC is cold booting fine. Let’s hope it stays that way... I spent a lot of time searching online for similar cases and I don’t recall any suggesting the PSU... So I hope this thread will help others with similar issues.

I didn't have this problem initially. My new PC cold boots (starting PC after shutdown) to the ASRock BIOS with no NVMe SSDs detected . My only storage is a GIGABYTE NVMe SSD with Windows 10 installed. If I exit the BIOS or restart the PC, Windows boots normally and everything works fine.

(This could be related or not: Before having this problem, my PC used to occasionally BSOD on Windows startup soon after login, also after a cold boot, but never in Safe Mode, but it no longer does that.)

What I tried:

• RMA'd the motherboard and RAM: Initially the problem went away then it started happening again.
  • Used a Windows 10 USB Flash Drive: Cold boots perfectly every time.
  • Tested installing a Samsung 970 EVO Plus as extra storage: Also not detected in BIOS on cold boot.
  • Tried using different M.2 slots.

Specs:

• Processor: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X 
  • MB: ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6
  • BIOS Version: 1.30
  • RAM: 32 GB
  • Storage: GIGABYTE AORUS NVMe Gen4 SSD 1TB
  • GPU: NVIDIA TITAN RTX
  • Network: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
  • PSU: Rosewill Photon 1200W 80 PLUS Gold
  • Case: Cooler Master SL600M

Seen this several times.  Fix varies though.  One (the most common)  is a change to bios setup (I forget how it goes), another is replacement of the motherboard battery, there are a couple hairier ones as well.  The usb working implies it’s not battery.  If you get the thing running bios ad driver updates perhaps.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Seen this several times.  Fix varies though.  One (the most common)  is a change to bios setup (I forget how it goes), another is replacement of the motherboard battery, there are a couple hairier ones as well.  The usb working implies it’s not battery.  If you get the thing running bios ad driver updates perhaps.

For the BIOS setup I tried disabling the CSM and added a few seconds to the MB splash screen, other than that I don't know what else relates to booting. I set everything to default for now. My BIOS is the latest version. I'm not sure if my MB is faulty (already replaced it once) or the PSU is causing problems, or if there's something else. I think we can at least rule out a faulty NVMe since I tested the Samsung as well. I'm at a complete loss...

1 hour ago, mawadhi said:

For the BIOS setup I tried disabling the CSM and added a few seconds to the MB splash screen, other than that I don't know what else relates to booting. I set everything to default for now. My BIOS is the latest version. I'm not sure if my MB is faulty (already replaced it once) or the PSU is causing problems, or if there's something else. I think we can at least rule out a faulty NVMe since I tested the Samsung as well. I'm at a complete loss...

Honestly, I am stumped a bit by your issue as well. I have heard of this happening to some other people, though and here is what I have seen that works: you could try disabling fast startup if you are using windows 10. Second, in one case I have read online, the individual ended up having to replace a displayport cable since one of the pins were bent and somehow affecting his NVMe. If these options fail, I would honestly see if you can return your drive for a replacement, even though you stated it is not likely to be an NVMe issue (which I agree with) . I will look into this a bit more and see if anything else comes up. 

UPDATE: Something strange happened today. I had to move my PC to another room and when I first powered it on, it got stuck on the MB splash screen while the fans were making an oscillating noise. So I shut it down. After the second attempt the PC cold boots into Windows flawlessly. Honestly I didn’t try a third attempt and I’m leaving the PC on in the meantime. Is this indicative of a PSU/power problem? Or could it still be the MB?

Deleted.  Mispost

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Moved it huh?  Was it level before?  Is it now?  How much jostling when it got moved?  Enough to dislodge something?  Even a big dust bunny inside a fan shroud or something?

Yes it was level, and while it was in the previous room, I moved it and inspected it (for reseating everything) multiple times while troubleshooting. It was moved to the new room very carefully (with help) and it was pretty clean in the inside. I didn’t hear anything move.

Just now, mawadhi said:

Yes it was level, and while it was in the previous room, I moved it and inspected it (for reseating everything) multiple times while troubleshooting. It was moved to the new room very carefully (with help) and it was pretty clean in the inside. I didn’t hear anything move.

Ah.  A thread on top of another thread.  I thought I’d misposted.  So maybe the first post was merely chopping up a dust bunny deep inside a fan or something.  If all the connectors are where they are supposed to be and stuff and it works I wouldn’t worry about it much myself. Fan bearings are full of fluid.  If it gets displaced it may take a second to find level again. 

I cold booted for the third time and it went back to not recognizing the NVMe. So I contacted ASRock support and they suggested clearing the CMOS, and if that didn’t work, trying a new PSU. So I discharged the PSU, removed the BIOS battery, and cleared the CMOS. Then I cold booted the PC and 3/4 times it booted fine including the fourth attempt. The problem did not completely go away but at least cold booting is more reliable than before. Would anyone agree that a bad PSU is the culprit?

EDIT: After the fifth attempt the PC is back to its shenanigans again. The original problem persists...

• 2 weeks later...

I followed my hunch and replaced the PSU (and power cables), and so far the PC is cold booting fine. Let’s hope it stays that way... I spent a lot of time searching online for similar cases and I don’t recall any suggesting the PSU... So I hope this thread will help others with similar issues.