AMD Dual Graphics - Does it Work? Does it Make Sense

If we're looking at max performance/dollar, that doesn't always net a good performance. With that in mind, a good choice to start with could be the Intel Celeron G1820 Haswell 2.7GHz combined with the Nvidia GTX 750Ti. my off-the-internet-benchmark calculations show for bioshock infinite a dollar/fps of 4.25. that netting about a 45fps at 1080p based on bit-tech.net's review.

For games that use more CPU threads, like Metro Last Light, Battlefield 4, or Crysis, CPU's like the FX-6300 are still quite good for the price. compare the $120 FX-6300 to the $120 i3-3240 and you get an idea that any CPU with an i at the beginning of it carries a price premium.

new GPU tech is always going to beat last generation's tech.

I love AMD's APU's, but I think that the latest kaveri chips are a bit too high priced for the current usage. once we integrate more HSA and HUMA support into programs, improve multithreading support, and use the GPU portion of the APU as a co-processor like is talked about, the price will be justified. Till then, there are better options.

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1kG9yJG

Amazon: http://georiot.co/2gPt

Using AMD Dual Graphics to speed up your system when you have a 7850k and an R7 250 is a no brainer

I'm sorry to say but this video has no sense. yes, it explains you what amd dual graphics it is and how it improves your fps but... look at this:

if you'd have an X budget to build a pc, would you spend $310 for an apu and a crappy gpu? probably not

@LinusTech @Slick you should have benchmarked some other systems: 760k+ 270/x; i3+ 750ti, etc...

amd d.g. would actually make sense if you already have an apu and want to grap a cheap amd card but if you have a 5xxx or 6xxx series apu you can only crossfire it with a 6670 or lower so I still think that my argument is still valid

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

Yes, I definately want more science! This video was waaaaaay too superficial on a very interesting topic. Please do more indept videos than this in the future - stuff like that just isn't enough.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

FX 6300 + ASUS GTX 750 Ti = 310 CAD, just like your APU setup. That'd be a great combo to crush APUs imo.

Edit: Main point is the FX 6300. You could also use a R9 270 if it fits the price, or a 265. ;)

who cares...

from a gaming perspective you could get  AMD 760k, FX-6300, or i3 and get a more powerfull GPU

so please make another video to compare it against those setups.

if only more software confirmed to support HSA than that's another topic

throw some RAM at it (high speed) 

CPU: AMD 5790t Motherboard: Gigabyte Forumlar XII RAM: Ah Whole set of it GPU: GTX 290x Ti Storage: Ah Ton of HDD PSU: Once it on Display(s): Well I still seeing pixels Cooling: It running COOL BRO Keyboard: *click* *click* Mouse: MORE *click* Sound: OHH DE BASEE

MOre science! Try high end GPU like r9-290 or 290x! I want to see if dual graphics would have an impact on that!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Moar science and bring in the competitors too!

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

MOAR SCIENCE!

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

Where is the high speed camera test? You guys got one of those right?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Well I'd say more more more science :) the more the better

It's funny that you use a r7 250 and I'm the only one that has a r7 250 crosssfirex setup...

I own an A10-7850k for my ITX rig with 2133Mhz RAM, and I'm looking at getting a GPU. I would like to see more configurations. I did look into a R7 250 for dual graphics, but I was also looking into the R7 260x and R9 270x. Would love to see a wide range of benchmarks featuring the A10-7850k.

I own an A10-7850k for my ITX rig with 2133Mhz RAM, and I'm looking at getting a GPU. I would like to see more configurations. I did look into a R7 250 for dual graphics, but I was also looking into the R7 260x and R9 270x. Would love to see a wide range of benchmarks featuring the A10-7850k.

I could be wrong, but last I checked, you can't use anything more powerful than a R7 250 with a Kaveri APU in Dual Graphics

Absolutely more science! I would like to see how the Trinity and Richland APU's perform in dual configurations.  What about comparing APUs in dual config vs CPUs (like the fx4300) and different discrete cards like the 750 ti. 

Just gonna say I'm really interested in seeing this more science, I have an A10-5800k & I'm looking ahead for my next build and confused on which direction to go. which made this topic the one that got me to join the forms. 

@ Drunk Cookies, I have to agree with Scionyde. last I looked into it R7 250 was max 

FX 6300 + ASUS GTX 750 Ti = 310 CAD, just like your APU setup. That'd be a great combo to crush APUs imo.

I really like the idea but I think  4300 Should be used to compare 4 compute cores to 4 compute cores + a bunch of little gpus. Of course I'm still interested in seeing fx 6300 + 750 Ti for giggles

I really like the idea but I think  4300 Should be used to compare 4 compute cores to 4 compute cores + a bunch of little gpus. Of course I'm still interested in seeing fx 6300 + 750 Ti for giggles

I am going for a similarly priced model. People are shopping for what they can get with a certain amount of money, and not whats the best way to achieve a certain level of performance.

You could try to recreate the APU+lowGPU performance, with similar components ,like an AMD 4 core and a descrete graphics, but that's just not what people are shopping for. They just want the best bang for the buck.

So that's why i went and tried to create a model with the same/similar price and then compare the performance. 

who cares...

I am going for a similarly priced model. People are shopping for what they can get with a certain amount of money, and not whats the best way to achieve a certain level of performance.

You could try to recreate the APU+lowGPU performance, with similar components ,like an AMD 4 core and a descrete graphics, but that's just not what people are shopping for. They just want the best bang for the buck.

So that's why i went and tried to create a model with the same/similar price and then compare the performance. 

Fx4300 is $10 cheaper than FX6300. At that close price point It would be more scientific to see 4 cores compared to 4 cores. In the name of for $10 more you can have 6 cores: Both should be tested. 

Fx4300 is $10 cheaper than FX6300. At that close price point It would be more scientific to see 4 cores compared to 4 cores. In the name of for $10 more you can have 6 cores: Both should be tested. 

I know a thing or two about being scientific. What Slick is doing is very empiric.

I think he should do both. Trying to recreate the APU's performance and see how much one solution can save over the other solution AND try to outperform the APU with the same budget but different parts.

who cares...

I'd like to see the stash of cpu's lmg keeps for occasions such as this.

I think Kaveri is bullshit. Tacking on a graphics card only makes sense because an R7 250/240 alone or an A10-7850k alone are both weaksauce. That being said, you can configure a CPU+GPU combo that is almost equivalent in performance if not better at the same or a slightly higher/lower price.

More science, please. If you're willing to do so, I'd like for Kaveri to be compared to older generations such as Athlon X4 700 and maybe FX processors or $100-$120 i3s, (although the only ones worth buying right now are the 6300 and maybe i3-3000/4000s). For graphics cards, anything that makes the total price tag close to $300-$320. Going above or even lower than that price is up to you to decide.

For instance, a 7790/7850/7870/R7 260X/750Ti + FX-6300/i3-3220 should damn well beat the A10-7850k and R7 250 at a lower total price, but I'd like to see you guys test that.

I know a thing or two about being scientific. What Slick is doing is very empiric.

I think he should do both. Trying to recreate the APU's performance and see how much one solution can save over the other solution AND try to outperform the APU with the same budget but different parts.

The 7850k is basically an Athlon X4 760k with better IPC and an iGPU + HSA technology. It's probably going to beat the crappy FX Piledriver and Bulldozer cores but it's going to lose in graphics performance anyway because of how high the 7850k is set. It should really only cost like $120, it's not a compelling product.

But like I said, there's nothing really to compare it to; it's in its own little world in terms of 1:1 performance. The closest you can get is going with some i5 or Athlon CPU and whatever video card the budget bears.

Edit: You wanna know something funny? The A10-7700k is $40 cheaper than the 7850k but is a worse deal because you have less and lower clocked iGPU cores. While that seems like it's not a big deal, that's at least 20% of the gaming performance gone at a higher price per iGPU core if you include dual graphics. I think I really hate AMD for Kaveri sucking so bad.