This was MUCH harder than I expected... DIY Air Conditioning Pt 1

nicklmg
12 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Always great when Brian is in a video.

This came to my mind directly after i read your post.

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

Yay, finally a long awaited video gets released. But when is the review of the LG OLED48CX8LC coming ? @LinusTech @nicklmg 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Out of interest, how does something like this work for tax purposes payment etc? Not asking about specifics in the case of LMG, just in general. 

Like doing some work to your house, but it making content for a company at the same time. Would you have to pay the company you own to film it? or can you just have them do it and just pay for parts?

@BrianTheElectrician is being useful again

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

the wall mounted Air Conditioners are used a lot in japan seen in anime and real life

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I don't think you could have done any better.

That's the problem.

Yvonne Sebastian, 2020

Legendary! 😂

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Man makes me wanna replace my 2 wall mount units and do something like this in my house.

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Oh man... mistakes you're gonna regret:

1) Cheap mini split system. Should have stuck to LG, Mitsubishi, Daikin or Fujitsu. Much more reliable, and you can get proper accessories like dry contact adapters to talk with your smart thermostats. Senville is a re-baged China manufactured brand.
2) No basepan heater. You're gonna need to go out with a blow-torch during spring/winter/fall to defrost your unit.
3) WAY too close to the ground. At the very minimum, get a riser for your system. Ideally, it should be above your snow line if you are going to rely on it for heat.
4) You probably want to install a surge protector so some rouge lighting or power surge doesn't kill your brand new unit.
5) Hope you used nylog on the flare connections.
6) I doubt that the cheap unit is going to provide enough heat in cold winters. You'll want the electric baseboards as a backup.

Can't wait for part 2.

I work HVAC for a living in Colorado, I'll try to be nice.  We install a new furnace and A/C for $8k usd so you went to the wrong companies for a quote.  Unless that was to install a mini-split because you have baseboard heat or a boiler.  Heating with electricity while 100% efficient is not the best idea due to the cost of a btu of electricity vs gas.  Higher seer AC is only cost effective in places like Texas or Phoenix where it's running 350 day's a year.  Higher efficiency can mean higher complexity which equates to a shorter life span and more frequent and more expensive repairs which automatically negates any saving's on your utility.  Heat pump's are only effective in a certain range of outdoor conditions and again, heating with electricity is generally not recommended.  Here in CO we've had customers ask us to remove their not so old heat pumps that were broken and extremely complicated because they spent weeks looking for someone that even knew how to fix them and gave up.  But I don't know much about the specifics of mini-split's because we don't do them, have enough work that we don't know what to do with on the standard systems.  Your mini-split didn't look to complicated from what I could tell.  Oh and a pound of R-410A is about $10 usd wholesale so if you ever get a leak don't trust the companies charging $300/lb.

One minor laugh was the concrete, which is good but un-necessary because they make styrofoam core concrete covered pads that'll do the trick at a much lower cost.

But, no one said mini-split's were cheap or easy to install.

All in you've done well all the hazing aside, there's just more cost effective ways to do it unless you require a mini-split, in which case you didn't do anything wrong.

Oh and I'd look into some sort of liquid line drier (can see it in my pic)

But here is some recent handy work I did with a bender

20200713_163719.jpg

20180511_122932.jpg

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

wife: ummmm.... yea.. an A. I don't see how you could do it better.

non professional, not women translation: I have a mixed of emotions of "now I have 6 things climbing up the outside wall but unless you want to take apart the walls, this is the best" .

2 hours ago, Psittac said:

20200713_163719.jpg

Linus appears to have baseboard heating.

His location is temperate and allows a heat pump to work well.

Location also gets electricity from dams which makes it cheap and "carbon-free"

Heat pump "efficiency" is in the 200% to 300% range: thus are cost-effective.

Also, that water heater exhaust and Y-ducting with the furnace says it all.

I'd upgrade the Linus unit to one with a distribution box inside the house in the attic so that external line set isn't crazy (it could've been ONE conduit!), but first quit the entire project and go with a unit with the absolute longest warranty possible which likely requires a licensed installer.

6 hours ago, waka324 said:

Oh man... mistakes you're gonna regret:

I bet Linus is going to upgrade it 3 times before winter, most likely submerging the house in mineral oil in the end.

When you live in North America and you need to upgrade your electrical system every time you want to plug in something that uses more power than a light bulb 😜

12 hours ago, Psittac said:

Oh and a pound of R-410A is about $10 usd wholesale so if you ever get a leak don't trust the companies charging $300/lb.

Also if the company wants to charge your system with more refrigerant, ask about repairing the leak first, don't fill a leaking system since it's a waste of money, your system shouldn't need more refrigerant unless there's a leak. If you have a older A/C system that uses R-22 you can expect to pay upto $50 per pound if it ever needs a repair with a refill since the EPA is stopping production of R-22 refrigerant (it's bad for the earth's ozone and can no longer be imported/produced in the US at least). The newer R-410A refrigerants are around $10 per pound as @Psittac has stated, so don't agree to pay much higher than that for a recharge on your R-410A system.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

14 hours ago, waka324 said:

1) Cheap mini split system. Should have stuck to LG, Mitsubishi, Daikin or Fujitsu.

are family has one and it pretty good

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

16 hours ago, Psittac said:

Oh and I'd look into some sort of liquid line drier (can see it in my pic)

Not for most mini-splits. Mini split condensers from the big brands (LG/Mitsubishi/Daikin/etc.) will have advanced oil recovery mechanisms, so you will actually void your warranty installing oil traps or driers.

I'm interested in how they are going to add more refrigerant as they extended the line-sets. I also hope they purge and vacuum the lines properly or they're gonna have a bad time. Minisplits are much more sensitive to contaminates than their larger counterparts. 

6 hours ago, PonyBoyZ_ said:

Highly respect linus for taking on this task and encouraging those who were on the fence about doing it themselves. Contractors are a rip off. What bothered me however that he paid a couple of hundred dollars to make the concrete base for the system lol c'mon man. 

I did my own system too, but I spent about 3 weeks researching everything before buying anything. Linus needs to put more time into reading documentation and comparing units. I really think he's gonna have some regrets with this setup.

13 hours ago, ordinary_jello said:

Linus appears to have baseboard heating.

The problem is that they said they are gonna disconnect the heaters from the panel to use it to power the mini split. 

They should add a sub-panel with a changeover switch so they have an emergency backup.
Better yet, would be to add the baseboard heat as a second heat stage to a multi stage thermostat, so it'd kick in automatically when the mini split can't keep up with the cold.

7 hours ago, akio123008 said:

When you live in North America and you need to upgrade your electrical system every time you want to plug in something that uses more power than a light bulb 😜

That's unfair and somewhat untrue.

The max draw goes based on your main breaker. Unless Linus wanted to install a second one or a new one with greater capacity this is the best option.

Afaik there is no limit on incoming power, just what the actual breaker can handle. So if Linus needs to upgrade his main breaker every time then he should just buy/rent a commercial unit to live in.

14 minutes ago, waka324 said:

I'm interested in how they are going to add more refrigerant as they extended the line-sets. I also hope they purge and vacuum the lines properly or they're gonna have a bad time. Minisplits are much more sensitive to contaminates than their larger counterparts. 

I've seen equipment in the back of Brian's van that indicate to me he's a qualified HVAC mechanic/engineer so I'd say proper installation procedures will be followed. Which includes soldering the joints with a decent nitrogen flow, followed by a pressure test, leak test, vacuum test and finally another leak test after filling the system(s) with refrigerant.

(yes, I've learned the same job ;) )

8 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Afaik there is no limit on incoming power, just what the actual breaker can handle.

Not quite. Power to the house is still limited due to the wire gauge from the nearest transformer to his breaker panel, as well as the power rating of the transformer itself. Besides, at what times would it be more cost-effective to switch the house over to a 3-phase 400V system to enable larger power appliances inside? Linus is a clever chap and as long as he runs his ideas by Brian, he'll stay out of trouble. At least with Yvonne ;)

Hey Linus, now that you have AC, probably a good idea to put a better blankie in that attic.  DIY blown in insulation in there to r50+ is easy in that space. a lot of places give you the machine rental for free after you buy all the bags of insulation you need. A poorly insulated attic is the absolute worst for heat/cool loss in a house.