1080 Ti vs 5700 XT which is better and will retain its price better?

Hey there! I'm split between a 5700 xt for 350$ and a 1080 Ti for 400$. I'm trying to make a choice that would allow me to sell the cards down the line in 2 yrs or so for the least net loss.

If the 1080ti is used. I would go for the 5700xt considering that it's cheaper and will come with warranty. The 1080ti is slightly better. Comes with a bigger frame buffer. But is older so won't get as many updates as the 5700xt. 

Which one will retain value down the line? We can't really know. Though I wouldn't expect one to be a lot better than the other. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1080ti for sure. For non gaming purpose the 11gb vram is useful.

It's slightly better than 5700xt.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

6 minutes ago, AveragePerson said:

Hey there! I'm split between a 5700 xt for 350$ and a 1080 Ti for 400$. I'm trying to make a choice that would allow me to sell the cards down the line in 2 yrs or so for the least net loss.

The 1080ti is going to be faster in just about every case.  The 5700xt will likely net you more cash when you sell it but it's also only about as powerful as a 2070.  For comparison the 1080ti is on the same level as the 2080.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Just now, AveragePerson said:

Both are used

Ah if both are used. I would go with the 1080ti in my opinion. Though if it will retain it's value better in the future is a question we really can't answer. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Why do you need such a powerful card if you're going to sell it soon anyway?

@Gaires Well i'm not sure I would sell it but I am thinking about selling it then so I would be able to buy a better GPU in the future. I'd also probably be using it for Autodesk.

11 minutes ago, AveragePerson said:

@TofuHaroto Both are used and i'm not sure about the warranty on the 5700 xt passing on to me.

5700xt is less than a years old, so the warranty might be still valid.

But, 1080ti for sure if you expect a better performance.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

23 minutes ago, AveragePerson said:

@Gaires Well i'm not sure I would sell it but I am thinking about selling it then so I would be able to buy a better GPU in the future. I'd also probably be using it for Autodesk.

Why not just buy a RX 580 for 100 bucks, save the $300 and keep saving. Then buy your new GPU next year.

If the 580 loses 50% of its value during that time, it's only 50 bucks. Compared to a 200 bucks you would lose with a 1080TI in the same scenario.

40 minutes ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

The 1080ti is going to be faster in just about every case.  The 5700xt will likely net you more cash when you sell it but it's also only about as powerful as a 2070.  For comparison the 1080ti is on the same level as the 2080.

The 1080 Ti was 3% faster on average vs a 2070S and 9% faster vs a 5700 XT in September last year but that gap is only shrinking as more and more games utilise the Turing and RDNA async compute capabilities. Pascal isn’t going to age well.

I wouldn’t recommend anyone pickup a 1080 Ti in the current day unless it was cheaper than a 2060S/2070/2070S or 5700 XT. It’s definitely a no from me when it’s more expensive.

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

The 1080 Ti was 3% faster on average vs a 2070S and 9% faster vs a 5700 XT in September last year but that gap is only shrinking as more and more games utilise the Turing and RDNA async compute capabilities. Pascal isn’t going to age well.

I wouldn’t recommend anyone pickup a 1080 Ti in the current day unless it was cheaper than a 2060S/2070/2070S or 5700 XT. It’s definitely a no from me when it’s more expensive.

Do you have a source on this? Usually helps to link a source instead of pulling numbers out of thin air.

Also he's selling it within 2 years.  The 1080 Ti is still faster in most titles.  It makes the most sense out of the two.

Oh I almost forgot to mention the horrible driver issues plaguing the 5700XT.  They may be resolved by now but last time I checked a ton of people were experiencing that "Black Screen" issue.

I'm not trying to bag on AMD, I actually have owned more Radeon cards than Geforce cards, I just wish they'd get their shit together when it comes to driver stability.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

7 hours ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

Do you have a source on this? Usually helps to link a source instead of pulling numbers out of thin air.

Also he's selling it within 2 years.  The 1080 Ti is still faster in most titles.  It makes the most sense out of the two.

Oh I almost forgot to mention the horrible driver issues plaguing the 5700XT.  They may be resolved by now but last time I checked a ton of people were experiencing that "Black Screen" issue.

I'm not trying to bag on AMD, I actually have owned more Radeon cards than Geforce cards, I just wish they'd get their shit together when it comes to driver stability.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1907-geforce-1080-ti-vs-rtx-2070-super-vs-radeon-5700-xt/

9 hours ago, AveragePerson said:

and what models of these cards are you looking at?

Because this is also important if one card is a lot better build and quieter than the other one for example right?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I DO NOT recommend any of the 5000 GPUs from AMD. They are infamous for having crashes and drivers issue. You are gambling with that purchase. Choose NVIDIA if possible.

just like this guy above me posted,bad drivers with AMD,go with 1080 Ti.

and many games favor NVidia only some are better with AMD (Doom Eternal which uses Vulcan ).

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

5700XT will most likely retain its price better and also probably works better for you for a longer time. One of the underappreciate aspect of a GPU is the driver support. Nvidia driver is by far better than the one AMD made but 1080ti is also a bit dated already so they will probably don't have as many year left of driver support and AMD historically support their card for longer. 

That said, I don't think it's worth it to basically paying to become their labrat until they finally made a stable driver which can literally took year or more. I would rather go with 1080ti or wait for Amphere.

10 hours ago, Whateverchan said:

I DO NOT recommend any of the 5000 GPUs from AMD. They are infamous for having crashes and drivers issue. You are gambling with that purchase. Choose NVIDIA if possible.

3 hours ago, frozensun said:

just like this guy above me posted,bad drivers with AMD,go with 1080 Ti.

and many games favor NVidia only some are better with AMD (Doom Eternal which uses Vulcan ).

Severely outdated information, and Nvidia shills. (take your pick) The 20.7.1 drivers which are currently available are 100% rock solid.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

28 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Severely outdated information, and Nvidia shills. (take your pick) The 20.7.1 drivers which are currently available are 100% rock solid.

Many games utilize NVidia advanced options like hairworks,DLSS,RTX and so on,with AMD he can forget about all that.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

55 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Seconded the driver issues have been fixed for a long time now.

26 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Many games utilize NVidia advanced options like hairworks,DLSS,RTX and so on,with AMD he can forget about all that.

Very few games* - the 1080 Ti also doesn’t support most of those either...

25 minutes ago, frozensun said:

DLSS and RTX are not industry standard, and only a very few extremely new games utilize them. Hairworks is gimmicky at best, and the physics for it can run on AMD just fine.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

16 hours ago, e22big said:

5700XT will most likely retain its price better and also probably works better for you for a longer time. One of the underappreciate aspect of a GPU is the driver support. Nvidia driver is by far better than the one AMD made but 1080ti is also a bit dated already so they will probably don't have as many year left of driver support and AMD historically support their card for longer. 

Well, that depends on how long someone intends to keep the card. If it's only two years, well, it's not gonna matter to him.

12 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

People are still having to RMA their card and AMD officially acknowledge that they are still monitoring the issue. Which means they still have no clue on how to fix it. Which is shocking considering how long the 5700 and 5600 have been out by now. 

13 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Neither. But what I am seeing is an AMD fanboy. The number of people who are still pissed off with the black screen crashes, random restarts, including me who is sending it back tomorrow, strongly disagree with you.

And before you try the "you don't know what you are doing" defense, look, we're not stupid as you think we are. All those update bios, DDU, TDR, whatever loops and dances we tried to get it fixed, didn't work. You're shilling for a crappy product while accusing unsatisfied customers of being shills of another company. Grow up, kid.

13 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

it seem to resuface just a few days ago (have been posted here in fact) but only affect a certain configuration of card so not as bother as many people but much harder to root out