WARNING: RANT!! why can't computers ever just be reliable

i'm seriously getting frustrated now. if i build a computer no matter what i get issues. my current pc (i3 8100, Z370-P, 16GB Ram and a few ssd's), is having super weird problems and i'm just sick of this custom pc space at this point. 

basically, i was getting some graphical glitching which went away and recenty came back, and it won't stay in sleep reliably. if i do that it'll turn on in the middle of the night. now, that doesn't sound like a big deal. i'm not expecting a dead gpu, since i can play the witcher 3 for hours with no crashing, lines on the screen or weird color glitching. however, it's recently developed a new fault. if i turn it on, there is a chance it'll beep at me that i don't have displays connected, even when i do have displays connected and it won't boot. i then need to unplug and plug displays back in until it decides it wants to work. also, the main screen does not turn on if i boot the machine. i have to turn it off from standby and turn it back on before it decides it's connected. 

i'm so sick of it. if this was an 8 or 10 year old computer sure, i'd expect issues. but this is a modern machine still!!! i'm just so done with this whole thing. i need a reliable computer, i have things to do. a machine that randomly decides it doesn't want to work anymore is unacceptable for me. 

i'm jsut so sick of it. why msut it be like this? i'm not even talking these issues specifically now, also Windows just deciding to break my gpu driver and i have to spend an hour to get it back to normal is just... why? why do we as customers accept this? 

i'm just at the point where i don't trust pc's anymore. at all. even if i build them myself and i know i didn't make a mistake, i just cannot rely on them. 

my only option right now is to unplug my pc entirely and plug my macbook pro into my setup. i don't want to do that, as my macbook pro is 8 years old and certainly not the fastest computer in the world anymore. however, say what you want about macbooks, but i got this one used 2 years ago. it's been in my backpack every day for 1.5 years to school, where it ran heavy compute tasks like VM's which would let it sit at 100% utilization for hours at a time. it's been my main computer for a while before when the pc i had at the time broke, so it was at school all day running heavy tasks and then plugged into my main setup at home and used heavily again. it's been through hell, dropped various times, sat in a damp backpack after a heavy rainstorm more than once, used on trains with loads of vibration while running at 90+ degrees if i had to finish schoolwork on my way home.... and it's still working flawlessly. it's only stopped working once which was my mistake, i broke the drive cable when swapping drives into it. apart form that which was a €10 and 15 minute fix, it's never let me down once. 

how do pc customers still accept that machines that are 3 or 4 years old get unstable, need OS reinstalls, whatever else, when the competition exists? how? 

sorry for my rant, i'm jsut annoyed that i put a bunch of money into a computer that's just a doorstop at this point. i cannot rely on it therefore it's useless. i'm currently living in a temporary situation and i don't have easy access to spare parts, because at my parents house i've started with packing up all my things. 

i'm just so lucky to own some apple products, which are the only thing that are ever reliable for me for some weird reason. i don't know if it's a curse or what, but i'm just done.

i will keep my pc and i will try to diagnose it but i'm just sick and tired of needing to practically babysit and cuddle my computer all the time, putting hours every month into fixing problems and bugs, when i have a macbook pro that has never let me down before and i can know for a fact when i press the power button that it will start up. i no longer have that confidence in my pc. 

so, the current pc i have will likely be my last. until it dies completely i will continue to play games on it, but i'm gonna just start saving up and buy a console when it inevitebly dies.

She/Her

i mean, i dont know i just built one and have no issues, in fact, it went so smooth even automatic driver installer installed the latest drivers for me...it's relatively fine from my experience.

as for issues like XMP, ram,BSOD etc.. they can be fixed..as to why it happens.. many reasons but for the most part, sometimes it's easily fixable. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

i mean, i dont know i just built one and have no issues, in fact, it went so smooth even automatic driver installer installed the latest drivers for me...it's relatively fine from my experience.

as for issues like XMP, ram,BSOD etc.. they can be fixed..as to why it happens.. many reasons but for the most part, sometimes it's easily fixable. 

Same.

This seems more about your patience and tolerance than the PC space being the issue. You've already identified your ideal environment, so of course using something you prefer less will continue to eat at you. You'll find many don't share your specific frustration, and if they do... they use something they do like.

The only times I've had issues like these is when I try to push my PC "to the max" with overclocking and 'performance mode' driver settings.  When I run stuff at stock it's always been reliable, which is probably why they call it stock.  Not to say you wouldn't encounter occasional driver issues, just that my experience has been very different. 

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

14 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

8100, Z370-P,

lol, better do more research next time

3 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

lol, better do more research next time

i got that board form a friend for €20 and the cpu was used as well and didn't cost much more. it was about price here. 

She/Her

Basically: buy Apple.

Huh. Kinda what I thought in March before I decided I would build my own computer.

But it seems like a bottleneck on your end kinda. 16GB of RAM and a i3 8100 and a Z series mobo? Maybe that was what it was like before I entered the PC world at around the time AMD's stock price be Ryzen (pun totally intended) if you wanted futureproofing.

Huh

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Console - one planned build, optimized to work together

PC - various manufacturers, no set path

Hmm, a little thinking would have gone a long way.  Your rant is simple logic.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

First off real sorry you're having these issues. But I don't know if this is the norm.

I've built a few PCs by now, some for me, a lot for friends and family. None have issues.

As for the display issue, are you using displayport? I've had that issue as well with my RTX card. I was used to using DVI but had to switch to Displayport and that's when the issues started. My fix was to enable ErP for S4 and S5. Takes a bit longer to boot up but I don't really care about that since I've got it encrypted with a password through bitlocker so it takes me a while anyway.

Windows just deciding to break my gpu driver

You can turn that off. Win + R, type sysdm.cpl go to hardware and advanced I believe it is. Disable it.

If your windows is unstable I would format it, but be sure to download the drivers you need beforehand and place them on a USB.

As for the rest of your post I'm sorry but I have a hard time seeing the same issues with any of the systems I've built or friends have built. In fact windows seems pretty decent in it's current state, but that' for me, personally.

I hope that some of what I've typed can help you.

Please don't give up on PCs they're fantastic workmates that can do so so much cool stuff.

It is easier now to build a PC than ever. As long as you do your research, buy good, compatible components, and actually install them properly, it virtually just works without issue.

I mean, seriously, it used to be so bad in the past, that I can't even fathom your level of frustration here. We are in a true golden age. Still, if it's not for you, that's fine. Go buy a pre-built with warranty and support. There's no shame in that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

'Most' issues a PC has can be tracked back to the user.

Thats not to say PC's dont have their unavoidable problems now and then, especially with newer immature hardware and software, but a lot of the time it can be tracked back to the user, be it improper installation (both hardware and software) or compatibility issues that should have been known.

In fact some of the time the 'issues' that present themselves may be no direct fault of the user but is the result of a 'risk' that the user 'should' have known they were taking when purchasing a product. Like for example buying a cheap PSU that ends up dying or degrading causing issues, or buying a AIO then ends up clogging or just straight up stops working and the user doesn't know how to diagnose it because they thought it was without risk, or buying a Graphics card that reviews ,had the user checked them, show that the cooler is crap, or buying 'used' hardware,

User's can also incorrectly assume that a PC should work flawlessly for many many years without any maintenance. this INCLUDES software (including the OS).

Problems occur now and then, constant installations and uninstalls can leave registries full of crap and included 'bloatware' accidentally installed may be left behind. All this eventually overtime can cause the OS to 'degrade' in many ways. This is why a clean reinstall can be the quickest and easiest method of troubleshooting. A clean OS install is quick and easy nowadays and important files should already be backed up anyway so there is no loss in formatting and starting over.

44 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

how do pc customers still accept that machines that are 3 or 4 years old get unstable, need OS reinstalls, whatever else, when the competition exists? how?

In the end the answer is simple. PC users who know how to maintain a PC in the most basic of ways dont have to deal with such issues, dont consider a OS install a problem in the 1st place,  and the competition to a PC is a overpriced and anti consumer POS. or deal with a prebuilt PC which has the same maintenance requirements, but rely on the 'customer service' that comes with it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

7 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

As for the display issue, are you using displayport? I've had that issue as well with my RTX card. I was used to using DVI but had to switch to Displayport and that's when the issues started. My fix was to enable ErP for S4 and S5. Takes a bit longer to boot up but I don't really care about that since I've got it encrypted with a password through bitlocker so it takes me a while anyway.

i'm using DVI with known good monitors. 

8 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

You can turn that off. Win + R, type sysdm.cpl go to hardware and advanced I believe it is. Disable it.

until microsoft re-enables it withing a week with an update. 

8 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

If your windows is unstable I would format it, but be sure to download the drivers you need beforehand and place them on a USB.

did that, besides, freezing and glitches also happen in linux. 

9 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Please don't give up on PCs they're fantastic workmates that can do so so much cool stuff.

for me, Mac's are even more fantastic workmates that can do even cooler stuff lmao

7 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

It is easier now to build a PC than ever. As long as you do your research, buy good, compatible components, and actually install them properly, it virtually just works without issue.

I mean, seriously, it used to be so bad in the past, that I can't even fathom your level of frustration here. We are in a true golden age. Still, if it's not for you, that's fine. Go buy a pre-built with warranty and support. There's no shame in that.

my parts list is compatible (in fact my mobo is overkill so it should be solid) and i have a degree in IT and know my way aroudn building pc's, i've been doing it since i was 10 years old. 

4 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

and the competition to a PC is a overpriced and anti consumer POS

that may be but at least their stuff works. 

5 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

'Most' issues a PC has can be tracked back to the user.

what have i done wrong here?

She/Her

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

i'm using DVI with known good monitors. 

That is strange. Never had issues with DVI myself.

Are you able to test with a different graphics card? Just to make sure that isn't at fault here.

2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

until microsoft re-enables it withing a week with an update. 

That I haven't noticed. I recently formatted so mine was of course set to yes, I have now checked no and I will see if it changes. If it does I'll make sure to not make that suggestion again.

3 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

did that, besides, freezing and glitches also happen in linux. 

That leads me to a hardware issue.

3 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

for me, Mac's are even more fantastic workmates that can do even cooler stuff lmao

Well then maybe invest in something like a mac mini?

If you're more comfortable with Macs I won't try and persuade you otherwise.

46 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i'm just so done with this whole thing. i need a reliable computer, i have things to do. a machine that randomly decides it doesn't want to work anymore is unacceptable for me. 

Yeah I can agree with this mentality from the general public. Their tablet or phone doesn't just randomly stop working or lose the display or whatever, so why should their PC. 

the problem is, and you pointed it out, is that unless the manufacturer has total control over the OS, hardware and I/O devices (like apple) then there are simply going to be glitches. Windows 10 is the best and easiest version of windows ever and lots of people still have lots of different issues. But thats what happens when there is literally millions of combinations of components and I/O and display devices available to you. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Just now, fuzz0r said:

That is strange. Never had issues with DVI myself.

Are you able to test with a different graphics card? Just to make sure that isn't at fault here.

it won't be a fair test as the spare card i have has only 1 DVI port so one of the screens will use a different connector. 

1 minute ago, fuzz0r said:

Well then maybe invest in something like a mac mini?

If you're more comfortable with Macs I won't try and persuade you otherwise.

meh, i don't really like desktop Mac's. if i'm gonna live on macOS i'm gonna just save up for a better macbook pro, since the convenience of unplugging one type c dongle and taking my computer with me is appealing. 

She/Her

51 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

I have 6 PCs I use regularly and none have issues.

6 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

what have i done wrong here?

32 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i got that board form a friend for €20 and the cpu was used as well and didn't cost much more. it was about price here. 

Probably this, used components in unknown state.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Even if hardware is all good, Microsoft will ultimately f**k something up. It's always that I spot some weird shit that used to work isn't anymore after some sort of update. And then you also have the graphics drivers that keep on being wonky...

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Probably this, used components in unknown state.

they worked fine for like 9 months now. 

She/Her

Just now, RejZoR said:

Even if hardware is all good, Microsoft will ultimately f**k something up. It's always that I spot some weird shit that used to work isn't anymore after some sort of update. And then you also have the graphics drivers that keep on being wonky...

it isn't just microsoft. Linux does it too, although on a smaller scale. 

She/Her

Just now, Ashley xD said:

they worked fine for like 9 months now. 

And they don't anymore :)

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

And they don't anymore :)

correct. but they were in a known good state. because they worked fine. 

She/Her

Half of the time, I find that PC issues are RAM related. Then maybe 20% is Windows/drivers related. 10% is storage related. 10% power supply. 5% motherboard. 5% everything else.

Computer hardware can show up at any moment, it doesn't matter if it worked before, it can still fail.

So if you have an issue, the troubleshooting steps that I do is the following

0- Get rid of ALL overclock. Only set the RAM to XMP.
1- Test the RAM & CPU with Prime95 on Blend for a quick and dirty way of finding RAM issues (unless there's evidence that the issue might be something else, like PC shutting down completely which indicate a power issue)
2- Follow that up with Memtest overnight for 12 to 24 hours. If all is clean, move on to the next step.

3- If the issue was graphical, test the GPU.

4- Bluescreen? Have the minidump analyzed. No Bluescreen? Enable them because MS disabled them to stop scaring people, but because it's disabled, it doesn't generate a minidump, so you need to enable it for proper analysis.
5- Rollback drivers and/or reinstall windows (after doing a backup of all my data)

6- Install windows on a different drive and test the storage medium with whichever tool provided by the manufacturer
etc.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I've had absolutely no problems with mine (that weren't easy to fix, anyway) and I have an 11 y/o CPU, RAM, and motherboard.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈