Looking to make a super high-end pc for gaming and video editing...

Go to solution Solved by Dumbustafa,
54 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

I'd just build an awesome ~3k USD rig like @gloop outlined above, then use the remainder of the budget on a nice car. Or motorcycle. Or both. Or save it for a rainy day.

Cause let's be real, if you had a workflow that legitimately NEEDED "money no object" specs, then you would already know what hardware you need and wouldn't be asking the internet for basic hardware advice.

ok

Hi LTT, I'm looking to make the top tier gaming PC and money is almost no object for me. I watched the "Compensator 3" video you guys made but soon realized you guys were using AMD, which although great, isn't quite the best for gaming (that's Intel, right?). So from there, I tried making my own list but I was only able to come up with 4 components: The CPU (Core i9 10900k), GPU (2x RTX Titans), The Motherboard (Asus ROG Maximus XII Extreme), and finally, The RAM (RGB Royal 3600 256gb), (Yes, I know the motherboard I chose only supports 128gb of RAM, but it was the only kit I could find that had over 3200mhz on 32gb sticks). Though I am not even confident if these parts are the best (I'm an amatuer). So, after hours of asking questions on Quora, Google, and the LTT forum, I'm fed up and was wondering if you guys could make me a list with all the best components for a gaming PC when money is basically no object (my budget is 30k). BTW I dont want to use HDD's and only SSD's, and want to use both air and water cooling. Here's a PC parts list I found: Central processing unit (CPU), Motherboard — aka, mobo or mainboard, Memory (RAM), Graphics processing unit (GPU) — aka, graphics card, Storage — SSD, Power supply unit (PSU), System cooling — CPU cooling and chassis airflow, Case.

1 minute ago, gloop said:

From the things you have written, it seems like you haven't built a PC before.

Instead of dropping 30k on a PC, maybe spend 3k and find out if you will actually use it, then drop 30k on it.

I have had 2 PC's before but usualy goten help from others to build them and choses the parts. The first just got so old it would only run modern games only at 30 fps on all low settings but after that I got a Pavilion Prebuilt but soon realised that was just as bad and runs games at only 45 fps low settings.

If you're that interested in throwing thousands on a gaming PC, then at least do yourself a favour and wait for Ampere and RDNA2 GPUs to launch, which should happen a little later this year.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

If you're that interested in throwing thousands on a gaming PC, then at least do yourself a favour and wait for Ampere and RDNA2 GPUs to launch, which should happen a little later this year.

fair point.

Just now, Dumbustafa said:

I have had 2 PC's before but usualy goten help from others to build them and choses the parts. The first just got so old it would only run modern games only at 30 fps on all low settings but after that I got a Pavilion Prebuilt but soon realised that was just as bad and runs games at only 45 fps low settings.

For 3k you can get this:

This is literally better than 99.999% of PCs that people have. This will run most games at 1440p ultra 100+fps.

As @Mateyyy suggested, wait for ampere.

2 minutes ago, gloop said:

For 3k you can get this:

Except they are hell-bent on buying an Intel for some reason...

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

1 minute ago, The1Dickens said:

Except they are hell-bent on buying an Intel for some reason...

Comet Lake does make sense for strictly gaming at competitive settings/resolution, particularly the 10600K.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I'm sorry no offense. But isn't this a fantasy build. Looking at your other thread. Pretty sure it is not allowed on the forums. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I'm sorry no offense. But isn't this a fantasy build. Looking at your other thread. Pretty sure it is not allowed on the forums. 

No, I wanted to build this in a week or right after that parts arrived. But now it seems like i'll be building it next year cause there will be better hardware by then. This isnt a fantasy build my budget is upto 30k. sorry for the confusion.

57 minutes ago, Dumbustafa said:

Hi LTT, I'm looking to make the top tier gaming PC and money is almost no object for me. I watched the "Compensator 3" video you guys made but soon realized you guys were using AMD, which although great, isn't quite the best for gaming (that's Intel, right?). So from there, I tried making my own list but I was only able to come up with 4 components: The CPU (Core i9 10900k), GPU (2x RTX Titans), The Motherboard (Asus ROG Maximus XII Extreme), and finally, The RAM (RGB Royal 3600 256gb), (Yes, I know the motherboard I chose only supports 128gb of RAM, but it was the only kit I could find that had over 3200mhz on 32gb sticks). Though I am not even confident if these parts are the best (I'm an amatuer). So, after hours of asking questions on Quora, Google, and the LTT forum, I'm fed up and was wondering if you guys could make me a list with all the best components for a gaming PC when money is basically no object (my budget is 30k). BTW I dont want to use HDD's and only SSD's, and want to use both air and water cooling. Here's a PC parts list I found: Central processing unit (CPU), Motherboard — aka, mobo or mainboard, Memory (RAM), Graphics processing unit (GPU) — aka, graphics card, Storage — SSD, Power supply unit (PSU), System cooling — CPU cooling and chassis airflow, Case.

If you can drop 30K on a PC, build a HEDT, not a regular desktop. You can not install 256GB of RAM in a regular desktop, only 128GB.

Basically a regular desktop maxes out at:

128GB RAM (Intel i9 9xxx and 10xxx and Ryzen 9)

1 16 lane PCIe GPU (16 lanes )

1 M2 NVMe drive (4 lanes)

and several usuable SATA and USB ports

or

2 or 3 M2 NVMe and most SATA ports being unusable (usually each M2 taking 2 SATA ports and/or the adjacent PCIe slot.)

Where as a HEDT can do this

1TB of RAM (good luck finding that configuration)

4 PCIw 16x slots (64 lanes)

4 M2 NVMe x4 slots ( 16 lanes)

Now 4 GPU's is overkill and you will likely not find a game that can make use of it, and likewise most video editing only needs the RAM on the GPU, so 4 Titans or 4 Geforce/Quadro parts won't make much of a difference, and even if you could, since they use the special-purpose part of the GPU.

if each GPU was 300w, you likely require a specialized power solution since 1200w for the GPU's alone doesn't leave enough overhead to put a 300w TDP CPU in.

But also, I know such a configuration runs near 100K+, so maybe don't go in that direction

A maxed out desktop, really only gets you a Ryzen 9 or Intel i9 with 128GB of RAM and a nVidia Titan RTX, so likely at most you'll hit 6-7K. 

Like in some situations I'd just say don't bother unless you are really prioritizing video capture/encoding, in which case you'd want more PCIe lanes so you have multiple PCIe NVMe drives, but unless you're doing 8K video, that may still be overkill. The HEDT/Workstation setup ends up starting at 10K since the CPU's are 10x more expensive.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

If you can drop 30K on a PC, build a HEDT, not a regular desktop. You can not install 256GB of RAM in a regular desktop, only 128GB.

Basically a regular desktop maxes out at:

128GB RAM (Intel i9 9xxx and 10xxx and Ryzen 9)

1 16 lane PCIe GPU (16 lanes )

1 M2 NVMe drive (4 lanes)

and several usuable SATA and USB ports

or

2 or 3 M2 NVMe and most SATA ports being unusable (usually each M2 taking 2 SATA ports and/or the adjacent PCIe slot.)

Where as a HEDT can do this

1TB of RAM (good luck finding that configuration)

4 PCIw 16x slots (64 lanes)

4 M2 NVMe x4 slots ( 16 lanes)

Now 4 GPU's is overkill and you will likely not find a game that can make use of it, and likewise most video editing only needs the RAM on the GPU, so 4 Titans or 4 Geforce/Quadro parts won't make much of a difference, and even if you could, since they use the special-purpose part of the GPU.

if each GPU was 300w, you likely require a specialized power solution since 1200w for the GPU's alone doesn't leave enough overhead to put a 300w TDP CPU in.

But also, I know such a configuration runs near 100K+, so maybe don't go in that direction

A maxed out desktop, really only gets you a Ryzen 9 or Intel i9 with 128GB of RAM and a nVidia Titan RTX, so likely at most you'll hit 6-7K. 

Like in some situations I'd just say don't bother unless you are really prioritizing video capture/encoding, in which case you'd want more PCIe lanes so you have multiple PCIe NVMe drives, but unless you're doing 8K video, that may still be overkill. The HEDT/Workstation setup ends up starting at 10K since the CPU's are 10x more expensive.

Before this I didnt even know what a hedt is... But I'm using the Asus ROG Maximus XII Extreme mother and looking at the specs it shows that it can handle 128gb of ram(enough for me), it has 2 PCIe x16 slots, 4 x M.2 slots, and 8 x Sata slots. Could you make me a parts list for that mother board? (budget: 30k)

30 minutes ago, Dumbustafa said:

Before this I didnt even know what a hedt is... But I'm using the Asus ROG Maximus XII Extreme mother and looking at the specs it shows that it can handle 128gb of ram(enough for me), it has 2 PCIe x16 slots, 4 x M.2 slots, and 8 x Sata slots. Could you make me a parts list for that mother board? (budget: 30k)

If you use both x16 slots, they will run at x8. That's why a HEDT is needed to use 2 x16 cards. Always look at the manual of a board to see the real specs, not the marketing specs.

image.png.ccd37cbc6e68273ccd3b1a02b98be7a3.png

So this board supports 4 M2 drives, but using all of them will disable some of the SATA ports or PCIe slots.

image.png.69154bc0619954a9cef048db69a6c2a2.png

So if you use ALL 4 slots, you will be running the GPU at x8, and PCIEX16_2 will be unusable, and SATA6G_2 ports will will be disabled. Only M2_2 will not disable PCIe slots or SATA ports.

Now, if you don't need the SATA ports, then this is fine, but the GPU won't operate in x16 configuration if anything is in PCIEX16_2 or DIMM.2_1/2_2. This means that if you want to use all for M2's on the board. PCIEX16_2 is completely unusable.

One thing the Threadripper/Ryzen platform offers is support for higher spec memory, so DDR4-3200 is possible to get on that platform, where as on the Intel platform it's largely wasted to go above 2933. 

Just going nuts on this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KS 4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($1699.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Silent Loop 280 94.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME EATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($499.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($849.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($849.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: *Sabrent Rocket 4 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($849.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: *Sabrent Rocket 4 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($849.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: NVIDIA TITAN RTX 24 GB Video Card  ($2499.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass ATX Full Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: be quiet! DARK POWER PRO 11 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply 
Total: $8209.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-18 20:08 EDT-0400

Please note that I explicitly picked 4 4TB SSD's and the Titan RTX on purpose to show you basically the maximum you can build. One of the parts was not listed as available, but that was on the top of the "recommended PSU" list elsewhere on the site so I just left that one in.

Obviously you can save money by not buying those capacities or using less of them. Or using a different GPU, as I don't think the Titan is worth it for gaming, let alone video encoding.

I'd just build an awesome ~3k USD rig like @gloop outlined above, then use the remainder of the budget on a nice car. Or motorcycle. Or both. Or save it for a rainy day.

Cause let's be real, if you had a workflow that legitimately NEEDED "money no object" specs, then you would already know what hardware you need and wouldn't be asking the internet for basic hardware advice.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

54 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

ok

3 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

Could you make me a oarts list, please?