3D Printed Chicken for you

Summary

KFC has announced that they are working on 3D printing chicken nuggets. The new process is supposed to be more environmentally friendly then the current way of making chicken nuggets and they should be ready for final testing this fall.

Quotes

KFC is trying to create the world’s first laboratory-produced chicken nuggets, part of its “restaurant of the future” concept, the company announced. The chicken restaurant chain will work with Russian company 3D Bioprinting Solutions to develop bioprinting technology that will “print” chicken meat, using chicken cells and plant material.
(the verge)

My thoughts

Even though they should be finished by this fall, I think it will take a couple of years for them to scale it to the point where they can supply all their restaurants with enough chicken. It will be challenging for KFC to adopt this as the new chicken nugget, but I think it will eventually happen. What do you think?

Sources

The Verge

KFC Press Release

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

screen-shot-2017-05-25-at-6-35-25-am-1495690657.png.972f368d017eb4fed39e755c64751e2b.png

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

FCF - Fused Chicken Fabrication? So if we apply the RepRap principles are we making more 3D chicken printers using 3D printed chicken parts? 🤣 I realize it's imitation meat but extruding a meat-like substance just sounds a bit off to me, unless you're making sausage. 

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

what's the 3D printer's role in this...?

I think they are modeling it after the 3d printing of organs. I believe they are making some kind of mix of ingredients that get mixed and shaped by the 3d printer. I could also see them having a few in each restaurant and each printer also cooks it.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Any reason why they couldn't just take the mass of chicken, chop it up with a chain of knives or whatever they use, and dump it in the deep fryer? It seems like it's too much effort and isn't very efficient unless the nozzle is an inch and a half wide.

I think they are pushing the environmental aspect of this. By not using as much actual chicken and instead using other ingredients, the environmental impact for raising, killing, and preparing the chickens is decreased.

As for why 3d printing instead of a different manufacturing process, Idk. I could see them doing it just for the marketing and people being interested in “eating 3D printed chicken!”.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Hm. Interesting. Would be interested to see how it would turn out.

I recall my previous roommate, a Culinary Arts or something major (I forgot, derp), telling me that the world's currently or will be (in the next 50/100 years) going through a food crisis or shortage. The main takeaway was that our current sources of food aren't enough to supply the ever-growing population. No academic sources or data sheets/graphs, unfortunately, because we were only talking about it, and I'm not too well-versed in Culinary Arts/News.

Developing alternative sources of food seems to be a step in the right direction, methinks? I only hope the media doesn't bungle its research and development with anti-KFC/non-GMO/artificial food nonsense.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

24 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

what's the 3D printer's role in this

To basically "print out" them nuggets. KFC is just saying it to sound fancy when it's nothing more than any food processing machine. There have been machines "printing out" cookies for a long time.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Nuggets are made of that chicken slime shit. So I'm not surprised that it could be "printed".

You can buy it yourself if you get "ground chicken" in a tube :

niXgSEg.jpg

There's a reason why it's in an opaque tube. (I haven't tried that particular brand. Giant Tiger has some like this and theirs are slime)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

21 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Nuggets are made of that chicken slime shit. So I'm not surprised that it could be "printed".

There's a reason why it's in an opaque tube. (I haven't tried that particular brand. Giant Tiger has some like this and theirs are slime)

Not all e.g Mcdonalds uses breast and some skin.

But yea the frozen ones that don't specify breast are usually squashed chicken carcasses (yes it's possible to crush bone into paste) and some other nasty stuff which is likely whats in that tube stuff.

Just now, TempestCatto said:

You wouldn't download a chicken nugget, would you?

If it’s as easy as downloading more ram, I would.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Pretty sure the purpose is to print the chicken meat in a lab, then run it through the regular nugget-ing process. This was a discussion brought up some years ago about whether you would eat lab-grown meat versus "natural" meat, everything being equal in the end result. This helps reduce farms specifically for the purpose of raising animals to turn them into food, and still allows people to enjoy consuming meat to be able to consume meat products. Everyone wins.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

37 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

14 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

But yea the frozen ones that don't specify breast are usually squashed chicken carcasses (yes it's possible to crush bone into paste) and some other nasty stuff which is likely whats in that tube stuff.

can't wait until you guys learn how gummy bears/worms and jell-o are made.

7 minutes ago, poochyena said:

can't wait until you guys learn how gummy bears/worms and jell-o are made.

I am aware of where Gelatin comes from and how it's made. We also have alternatives to gelatin that doesn't use animals these days, like Agar.

(and no, I'm not vegan. There's just a difference between the slime shit that comes in tubes and actual ground chicken. When you open those tubes, the texture, the look, everything about it, is unappetizing... even cooking it doesn't smell good)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

So plant nuggets with 10% barely chicken?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I'm surprised they didn't manage to fit in "Ai" buzzword into all this. Just imagine headline...

KFC presents Ai 3D printed chicken nuggets.

Mash with hammer befor eating just to be sure

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

My theory is the issue with nuggets is that they’re flat because it’s basically chicken loaf stuffed into moulds like ice cubes.  With 3d printing they can change the shape more.  Nuggets are deep fried. Makes surface area a thing.  Messing with surface area shape could make for more texture variance.  I do like the idea of printing on site.  They could just ship big bags of frozen chicken loaf to stores Which saves on transport, and have the complicated delicate bit done on site.  Also makes less waste.  It’s offloading cost onto franchisees effectively.  Also offloads liability.  If someone gets food poisoning from nuggets now it’s going to be a nugget factory issue.  With 3D printing it’s more likely to be in store cleaning issues.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Eschew said:

I recall my previous roommate, a Culinary Arts or something major (I forgot, derp), telling me that the world's currently or will be (in the next 50/100 years) going through a food crisis or shortage. The main takeaway was that our current sources of food aren't enough to supply the ever-growing population. No academic sources or data sheets/graphs, unfortunately, because we were only talking about it, and I'm not too well-versed in Culinary Arts/News.

Developing alternative sources of food seems to be a step in the right direction, methinks? I only hope the media doesn't bungle its research and development with anti-KFC/non-GMO/artificial food nonsense.

So essentially we will reach our carrying capacity as a species?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

5 hours ago, Eschew said:

This was a thing back in the 1970’s too.  Drove the development of a lot of meat substitute products like taco stretch.  There was a revolution in agriculture involving fertilizer and crop hybridization that bought time.   Population keeps growing that will only last so long though.

7 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Most nuggets are already made from a moulded lump of chicken mash

3D printing is unnecessary

Not The Lords Chicken.

That chicken is all natural, the way the good Lord intended.

(Obviously joking. But still, Chic-Fil-A is the best damned chicken)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

21 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Not The Lords Chicken.

That chicken is all natural, the way the good Lord intended.

(Obviously joking. But still, Chic-Fil-A is the best damned chicken)

Still obviously joking.  Compared to what?  Chic fil a isn’t famous for its chicken, it’s famous for its racism.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Still obviously joking.  Compared to what?  Chic fil a isn’t famous for its chicken, it’s famous for its racism.

Compared to literally every single other fast food joint out there? Their service is always incredible and the quality of the chicken is superior to all of the rest.

Never heard anyone accuse them of racism. Then again I stopped paying attention to accusations of racism when things like PB&J, sleep, and being on time were declared racist.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

Compared to literally every single other fast food joint out there? Their service is always incredible and the quality of the chicken is superior to all of the rest.

Never heard anyone accuse them of racism.

It’s why they get in the news.  Never has much to do with what they serve or how they serve it. They try to get in the news for their food but they keep failing. Did a bunch of taste test challenges against other fast food chains and got their butts kicked. Even Popeyes and burger king (that doesn’t even specialize in chicken) beat them. What’s famous about chic fil a isnt food it’s politics.  Perhaps I was thinking of religious bigotry.  Some kind of bigotry anyway.