Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
B1zzy

Installed Linux Mint but my keyboard no longer works

Posted · Original PosterOP

I recently installed Linux on a laptop of mine but the keyboard won't work and I'm unsure of what to do. I connected my Desktop keyboard and it worked but that isn't practical for if I want to take my laptop places. If it helps I have a Surface Pro Laptop.

Make sure you have the correct keyboard layout selected. Even if you selected the right one during install, double check; it could've changed

FOLDING MONTH IS AMONG US

Either (@piratemonkey) or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

Make sure you have the correct keyboard layout selected. Even if you selected the right one during install, double check; it could've changed

It said I already have English(US)? What i mean by not working is no input is registered, like I have to use virtual keyboard to type.

3 minutes ago, B1zzy said:

It said I already have English(US)? What i mean by not working is no input is registered, like I have to use virtual keyboard to type.

I'd suggest trying a different distro with a live usb (not installing it).

Also see if it works in the bios. 

FOLDING MONTH IS AMONG US

Either (@piratemonkey) or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

Surface devices and Linux don't play all that well together outside of a specific few, look up what ones work well for your laptop, I doubt it's mint

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally)...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Looks like You need a patched kernel and firmware files. I would look at

https://github.com/linux-surface/linux-surface/wiki/Installation-and-Setup

https://github.com/linux-surface/linux-surface/wiki/Supported-Devices-and-Features#feature-matrix

For better touch support, you also might look at a Distro with Gnome as its Desktop Environment. As much as I dislike Gnome, its generally had much better overall touch support compared to other Desktop Environments.

My System - OS: Arch Linux(GNOME) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.33v Motherboard: Asus Strix X470-I Gaming RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: MSI Radeon 5700XT Mech OC

Wifes System - OS: Arch Linux (KDE Plasma) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.32v Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: AMD 5700XT Reference Card