Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlphaCharlie4

NVME SSD Stuck in x2 pcie 3.0

Posted · Original PosterOP

So my wd sn750 500gb was running at pcie x4 3.0 when i first got it about 2 weeks ago, but now the drive is running at x2 in hwinfo. I couldnt really find any settings to change it to x4 manually in my bios (motherboad is B450m Steel legend btw) and the only change that i remember making was an update to agesa 1.0.0.6 on my motherboard. I have no idea how to switch it back to x4 so any help is appreciated!

As far as I'm aware, x2 isn't standard (Unless you mean PCIe 2.0 at X4). It's possible that the drive is in low power, which is probably why the lower speed is been displayed. As long as the drive performs to its best (Use Crystal Disk Mark to check), you don't have anything to worry about.

Current Build

14 minutes ago, LazyDev said:

As far as I'm aware, x2 isn't standard (Unless you mean PCIe 2.0 at X4). It's possible that the drive is in low power, which is probably why the lower speed is been displayed. As long as the drive performs to its best (Use Crystal Disk Mark to check), you don't have anything to worry about.

Nope I checked it’s pcie 3.0 x2 which means my drive used to run at around 3400mb/s reads now runs at 1800mb/s reads. It is a bandwidth limitation for sure, I just don’t know how to change it back to its original x4

1 minute ago, AlphaCharlie4 said:

Nope I checked it’s pcie 3.0 x2 which means my drive used to run at around 3400mb/s reads now runs at 1800mb/s reads. It is a bandwidth limitation for sure, I just don’t know how to change it back to its original x4

Have you added any new hardware to the system since the issue began?

Current Build

2 minutes ago, LazyDev said:

Have you added any new hardware to the system since the issue began?

No new hardware, only a bios update to agesa 1.0.0.6 was the only change I’ve really made. I’m uncertain that a bios update would change my pcie nvme speed from x4 to x2 though

Usually, the PCI lanes are automatically assigned. I don't have a reason why your drive is only been given 2 lanes.

Current Build

1 minute ago, LazyDev said:

Usually, the PCI lanes are automatically assigned. I don't have a reason why your drive is only been given 2 lanes.

Ok thanks for your time anyway, do you know if it’s possible for me to flash the same bios version again to try and fix the issue?

Ok thanks for your time anyway, do you know if it’s possible for me to flash the same bios version again to try and fix the issue?

If your current version of bios is giving you issues, reverting is a good option. Re flashing the same bios may give the same results. One thing you could try is a complete bios reset.

Current Build

1 minute ago, LazyDev said:

If your current version of bios is giving you issues, reverting is a good option. Re flashing the same bios may give the same results. One thing you could try is a complete bios reset.

Ok I will try resetting my bios first, is it safe to revert or reflash my bios to the previous or same versions?

Just now, AlphaCharlie4 said:

Ok I will try resetting my bios first, is it safe to revert or reflash my bios to the previous or same versions?

Flashing the bios is always risky. Blackouts and such, will brick your motherboard.

Current Build

2 minutes ago, LazyDev said:

Flashing the bios is always risky. Blackouts and such, will brick your motherboard.

Yeah I know it’s a risk to flash the bios, but is it ok to flash an older version of the bios or to flash the same version again?

Yeah I know it’s a risk to flash the bios, but is it ok to flash an older version of the bios or to flash the same version again?

You'll need to consult the manufacture's website and manual for your motherboard, to make sure there are no requirements. It's all good if you revert.

Current Build

9 minutes ago, LazyDev said:

You'll need to consult the manufacture's website and manual for your motherboard, to make sure there are no requirements. It's all good if you revert.

Ok sounds good, thanks for all your help!

1 hour ago, LazyDev said:

I have a PCIe x2 drive... they're not as common anymore but they were popular when good NVMe controllers were still expensive.

It will run on x2 on that board if it detects a specific CPU (Athlon 2xxGE or Raven Ridge 2) but I imagine you have something that works or should work at x4 (and did work at x4).

Seems like the BIOS update causes some issues.

18 hours ago, NewMaxx said:

It will run on x2 on that board if it detects a specific CPU (Athlon 2xxGE or Raven Ridge 2) but I imagine you have something that works or should work at x4 (and did work at x4).

Seems like the BIOS update causes some issues.

Yep just found that out, hopefully they will get a patch out soon