Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Farhan_

Loud pop from psu but pc works just fine?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have a corsair tx650m. So this happened first time a few days ago when my pc was just sitting powered off but main switch was powered on. Suddenly a loud pop(bang?) sound came most likely from the psu. The first thing I did was turn off the main switch. After a couple of minutes I turned the pc on and it worked just fine even under load. In fact I played a lot of rdr2 until this happened again today. I always turn off the main switch at night so when I tried to turn on the main switch this evening, the same thing happened again. Waited a couple of minutes, tried turning on pc again, worked fine. I'm really confused as there was no smell or visible burn marks inside the psu (from what I could see as I peeked inside the psu). Everything was normal as this happened, breaker didn't pop, house lights didn't dim out or anything like that. I'm really confused now as to what to do next. Please help me out. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a lot of power was being used while playing? I'm no expert so i'm just saying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Farhan_ said:

I have a corsair tx650m. So this happened first time a few days ago when my pc was just sitting powered off but main switch was powered on. Suddenly a loud pop(bang?) sound came most likely from the psu. The first thing I did was turn off the main switch. After a couple of minutes I turned the pc on and it worked just fine even under load. In fact I played a lot of rdr2 until this happened again today. I always turn off the main switch at night so when I tried to turn on the main switch this evening, the same thing happened again. Waited a couple of minutes, tried turning on pc again, worked fine. I'm really confused as there was no smell or visible burn marks inside the psu (from what I could see as I peeked inside the psu). Everything was normal as this happened, breaker didn't pop, house lights didn't dim out or anything like that. I'm really confused now as to what to do next. Please help me out. Thanks.

its most likely a faulty psu, but im not really sure.

 

luckily, if you find no solution, since its a corsair psu, theres a warranty under which you can just get a replacement! :D


welcome to my potato farm

Quote

system 1: Pentium E5200, 1024 MB DDR2 Memory, 320GB 3G HDD, Intel GMA 3100 Graphics, Random Hack Motherboard and PSU

Quote

system 2: Athlon X2 250, 2048 MB DDR3 Memory, 3x500 GB 6G HDDs, Integrated Graphics, Random Hack Motherboard and PSU

Quote

system 3: in the works, waiting for Zen3 and Ampere/Big Navi :3

senpai suck my ass, we'll be together

senpai suck my ass, it will last forever

senpai suck my ass, its a sweet sensation

senpai suck my ass, these words are desperation

i dont know if you will like it

but i think that you should try its

senpai please just do this for me

some say it tastes like potpourri

                                                                          -pewdiepie, 2011

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Orika said:

Maybe a lot of power was being used while playing? I'm no expert so i'm just saying.

The thing is, this happened while the pc was off WHILE plugged in thru main switch. Afaik this psu is more than enough to handle my current configuration (r5 3600, gtx 1660 super).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, PoopThatTookAPee said:

its most likely a faulty psu, but im not really sure.

 

luckily, if you find no solution, since its a corsair psu, theres a warranty under which you can just get a replacement! :D

I'm trying to avoid the hassle of packing and posting it to them during these times. Response times will surely be slow. If I find a solution, all well and good. Otherwise I'll have to request for an rma.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Farhan_ said:

I'm trying to avoid the hassle of packing and posting it to them during these times. Response times will surely be slow.

ohhh i see

 

this 'psu pop' issue is pretty common, and is most of the time, a manufacturing defect; happens with many units of trusted brands. thats why they give you a warranty for these kind of issues

 

if someone else can help you, then well youre lucky. but i think you should, nevertheless, get it replaced by corsair


welcome to my potato farm

Quote

system 1: Pentium E5200, 1024 MB DDR2 Memory, 320GB 3G HDD, Intel GMA 3100 Graphics, Random Hack Motherboard and PSU

Quote

system 2: Athlon X2 250, 2048 MB DDR3 Memory, 3x500 GB 6G HDDs, Integrated Graphics, Random Hack Motherboard and PSU

Quote

system 3: in the works, waiting for Zen3 and Ampere/Big Navi :3

senpai suck my ass, we'll be together

senpai suck my ass, it will last forever

senpai suck my ass, its a sweet sensation

senpai suck my ass, these words are desperation

i dont know if you will like it

but i think that you should try its

senpai please just do this for me

some say it tastes like potpourri

                                                                          -pewdiepie, 2011

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, PoopThatTookAPee said:

ohhh i see

 

this 'psu pop' issue is pretty common, and is most of the time, a manufacturing defect; happens with many units of trusted brands. thats why they give you a warranty for these kind of issues

 

if someone else can help you, then well youre lucky. but i think you should, nevertheless, get it replaced by corsair

Should I try re assembling my pc? I'm quite uncertain about the source of the noise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Are you sure it's coming from the PSU?

Do you smell anything burned?

If it's really popped, i think you should get a replacement.

That's the problem. I don't see anything burnt/popped inside the psu or motherboard as I try to look from outside. It's really hard to tell. Perhaps re assembling my pc would help?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you just build this pc? If not then why rebuild it?

If not then I would definitely replace the power supply.

Why risk a fire? Not worth it.

I'm guessing you checked all the power supply connections?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Intergalacticbits said:

Did you just build this pc? If not then why rebuild it?

If not then I would definitely replace the power supply.

Why risk a fire? Not worth it.

I'm guessing you checked all the power supply connections?

 

I built it myself exactly a month back. Yes I checked everything and everything seems fine. Even the pc turns on and works properly. I'm really confused right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Farhan_ said:

I built it myself exactly a month back. Yes I checked everything and everything seems fine. Even the pc turns on and works properly. I'm really confused right now.

Then it sounds like you just need to send back the power supply or buy a replacement.

I wouldn't be too concerned or confused about it.

Often electronics when they have a problem from the factory stop working right away.

Then sometimes weirdly they work, then stop working, then work again until they quit altogether.

 

Sounds like you just had a little bad luck and got a bad one from the factory.

If it is that new I'm sure they will take care of it for you.

 

Not trying to scare you or anything. I just wouldn't keep using it because of the risk of fire.  🔥

Unplug it and don't use it.  At least unplug it when your not using it just to be safe.

🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 minutes ago, Intergalacticbits said:

Then it sounds like you just need to send back the power supply or buy a replacement.

I wouldn't be too concerned or confused about it.

Often electronics when they have a problem from the factory stop working right away.

Then sometimes weirdly they work, then stop working, then work again until they quit altogether.

 

Sounds like you just had a little bad luck and got a bad one from the factory.

If it is that new I'm sure they will take care of it for you.

 

Not trying to scare you or anything. I just wouldn't keep using it because of the risk of fire.  🔥

Unplug it and don't use it.  At least unplug it when your not using it just to be safe.

🙂

Thanks. Packed and put it in my shelf. Guess it will be sitting there till they respond 😛

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can help point you in the right direction to get this taken care of, and hopefully help move the process along.  You'll need to submit a ticket on our support site, and one of our Technical Support agents can assist with the replacement.  After you make the ticket, go ahead and PM the number to me, and I'll reach out to one of our agents to look at the ticket.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

 

https://support.corsair.com/


Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×