Loud pop from psu but pc works just fine?

Farhan_

I have a corsair tx650m. So this happened first time a few days ago when my pc was just sitting powered off but main switch was powered on. Suddenly a loud pop(bang?) sound came most likely from the psu. The first thing I did was turn off the main switch. After a couple of minutes I turned the pc on and it worked just fine even under load. In fact I played a lot of rdr2 until this happened again today. I always turn off the main switch at night so when I tried to turn on the main switch this evening, the same thing happened again. Waited a couple of minutes, tried turning on pc again, worked fine. I'm really confused as there was no smell or visible burn marks inside the psu (from what I could see as I peeked inside the psu). Everything was normal as this happened, breaker didn't pop, house lights didn't dim out or anything like that. I'm really confused now as to what to do next. Please help me out. Thanks.

Maybe a lot of power was being used while playing? I'm no expert so i'm just saying.

2 minutes ago, Farhan_ said:

I have a corsair tx650m. So this happened first time a few days ago when my pc was just sitting powered off but main switch was powered on. Suddenly a loud pop(bang?) sound came most likely from the psu. The first thing I did was turn off the main switch. After a couple of minutes I turned the pc on and it worked just fine even under load. In fact I played a lot of rdr2 until this happened again today. I always turn off the main switch at night so when I tried to turn on the main switch this evening, the same thing happened again. Waited a couple of minutes, tried turning on pc again, worked fine. I'm really confused as there was no smell or visible burn marks inside the psu (from what I could see as I peeked inside the psu). Everything was normal as this happened, breaker didn't pop, house lights didn't dim out or anything like that. I'm really confused now as to what to do next. Please help me out. Thanks.

its most likely a faulty psu, but im not really sure.

luckily, if you find no solution, since its a corsair psu, theres a warranty under which you can just get a replacement! :D

馃槙

4 minutes ago, Orika said:

Maybe a lot of power was being used while playing? I'm no expert so i'm just saying.

The thing is, this happened while the pc was off WHILE plugged in thru main switch. Afaik this psu is more than enough to handle my current configuration (r5 3600, gtx 1660 super).

6 minutes ago, PoopThatTookAPee said:

its most likely a faulty psu, but im not really sure.

luckily, if you find no solution, since its a corsair psu, theres a warranty under which you can just get a replacement! :D

I'm trying to avoid the hassle of packing and posting it to them during these times. Response times will surely be slow. If I find a solution, all well and good. Otherwise I'll have to request for an rma.

1 minute ago, Farhan_ said:

I'm trying to avoid the hassle of packing and posting it to them during these times. Response times will surely be slow.

ohhh i see

this 'psu pop' issue is pretty common, and is most of the time, a manufacturing defect; happens with many units of trusted brands. thats why they give you a warranty for these kind of issues

if someone else can help you, then well youre lucky. but i think you should, nevertheless, get it replaced by corsair

馃槙

Are you sure it's coming from the PSU?

Do you smell anything burned?

If it's really popped, i think you should get a replacement.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750聽| 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull聽| Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, PoopThatTookAPee said:

ohhh i see

this 'psu pop' issue is pretty common, and is most of the time, a manufacturing defect; happens with many units of trusted brands. thats why they give you a warranty for these kind of issues

if someone else can help you, then well youre lucky. but i think you should, nevertheless, get it replaced by corsair

Should I try re assembling my pc? I'm quite uncertain about the source of the noise.

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Are you sure it's coming from the PSU?

Do you smell anything burned?

If it's really popped, i think you should get a replacement.

That's the problem. I don't see anything burnt/popped inside the psu or motherboard as I try to look from outside. It's really hard to tell. Perhaps re assembling my pc would help?

Did you just build this pc? If not then why rebuild it?

If not then I would definitely replace the power supply.

Why risk a fire?聽Not worth it.

I'm guessing you checked all the power supply connections?

1 minute ago, Intergalacticbits said:

Did you just build this pc? If not then why rebuild it?

If not then I would definitely replace the power supply.

Why risk a fire?聽Not worth it.

I'm guessing you checked all the power supply connections?

I built it myself exactly a month back. Yes I checked everything and everything seems fine. Even the pc turns on and works properly. I'm really confused right now.

22 minutes ago, Farhan_ said:

I built it myself exactly a month back. Yes I checked everything and everything seems fine. Even the pc turns on and works properly. I'm really confused right now.

Then it sounds like you just need to send back the power supply or buy a replacement.

I wouldn't be too concerned or confused about it.

Often electronics when they have a problem from the factory stop working right away.

Then sometimes weirdly they work, then stop working, then work again until they quit altogether.

Sounds like you just had a聽little聽bad luck and got a bad one from the factory.

If it is that new I'm sure they will take care of it for you.

Not trying to scare you or anything. I just wouldn't keep using it because of the risk of fire.聽聽馃敟

Unplug it and don't use it.聽 At least unplug it when your not using it just to be safe.

馃檪

20 minutes ago, Intergalacticbits said:

Then it sounds like you just need to send back the power supply or buy a replacement.

I wouldn't be too concerned or confused about it.

Often electronics when they have a problem from the factory stop working right away.

Then sometimes weirdly they work, then stop working, then work again until they quit altogether.

Sounds like you just had a聽little聽bad luck and got a bad one from the factory.

If it is that new I'm sure they will take care of it for you.

Not trying to scare you or anything. I just wouldn't keep using it because of the risk of fire.聽聽馃敟

Unplug it and don't use it.聽 At least unplug it when your not using it just to be safe.

馃檪

Thanks. Packed and put it in my shelf. Guess it will be sitting there till they respond 馃槢

I can help point you in the right direction to get this taken care of, and hopefully help move the process along.聽 You'll need to submit a ticket on our support site, and one of our Technical Support agents can assist with the replacement.聽 After you make the ticket, go ahead and PM the number to me, and I'll reach out to one of our agents to look at the ticket.聽 Let me know if you have any other questions.

https://support.corsair.com/

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?聽 Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

• 3 years later...