How to stop DisplayPort monitor from messing up window/icon positions after sleep/standby?

Go to solution Solved by RainfallWithin,

For the programs that are still having their window positions reset, you can try FancyZones. It's a feature of PowerToys, which I use on a daily basis, and there are regular updates for it at the moment.

https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerToys

One of the options in FancyZones is 'Move newly created windows to their last known zone'.

1786057373_761114F7-0778-4730-BA9D-340BFAA7039C.png.thumb.jpg.636b181dc2e917d1fd416a121fb26c26.jpg

I have a new ultrawide connected with DisplayPort, and a 2nd monitor connected via HDMI, and now I'm noticing everytime the monitor itself goes into Standby mode that my icons and window locations are all messed up.

My PC itself is set to never sleep, but its set to sleep the monitor after 15 minutes of inactivity.

When I come back to it and log in again all my windows are in differnt places (top left) and I have to arrange them manually every time, which is a bit cumbersome to say the least, as I use the monitor for work during the day with lots of open windows in very specific locations.

I've seen the posts on other forums about the NVIDIA Control panel overriding the EDID but that's only avaialble on Quatro cards, and other posts about the "Simulated" monitor in the registry, but I checked and mine does not have a simulated entry. -- I've already tried deleting all display configurations there too and rebooting so they get setup fresh, but no luck with that either.

It just seems that the DisplayPort connection being put to sleep is what's causing it to act like only one monitor of two is present, forcing everything into the 2nd monitor, but when when I wake the DisplayPort monitor, it just pushes most things to the far left of the screen and I have to re-arrange everything.

I have tried working around it with DisplayFusion's Windows Location profiles, but some programs do not move into place still. 

I've also tried working around it with PersistentWindows from GitHub, https://github.com/kangyu-california/PersistentWindows

However that doesn't help with programs that are closed when I log back in, or things that open new windows, like Outlook opening a new email, it loads in the wrong spot, and I have to move it back to where I want it, which will be remembered until the next time the monitor goes into standby.

TL;DR - Everytime my DisplayPort monitor goes to sleep it forgets where everything is at, and I have to manually move things back into place, even with "helper" programs that try to prevent this.

I really need some help because it ends up taking up so much time every time I walk away from my PC long enough.

Thanks in advance!

While I don't know how to fix that, one of the helper programs I use is this.

http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm

It's a VERY simple, rightclick, restore / save menu, and is pure magic in ease of use.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

17 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

While I don't know how to fix that, one of the helper programs I use is this.

http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm

It's a VERY simple, rightclick, restore / save menu, and is pure magic in ease of use.

Thanks, I may give that a shot too, I've tried a LOT of these helper programs but I always run into the issue where if a window is CLOSED when I restore (lets just use Spotify for example, if it's closed and not running in system tray) when I restore the layout without Spotify running, then when I do launch it again it'll still start itself in the top left, despite DisplayFusion even being set to "Always open on this monitor" where I'm using a monitor split to simulate a different monitor.

I'm starting to think my only real FIXES are 

1. Set my display to never sleep (lots of extra power/use of that dispaly then, not really ideal.

2. Disconnect my second monitor and live without it... Also obviously not ideal.

But in the meantime I'm willing to try everything I can. 

If anyone else has any ideas, I'm anxious to hear them.

I have experienced this problem before on a lower end 3840x2160 monitor by Acer, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

The problem is caused by the DisplayPort inside the monitor which basically behaves as though the monitor has been unplugged from the computer very time it enters sleep state. Perhaps on some monitors the DisplayPort standard has not been entirely met.

Look at the monitor's on screen display settings to see if there is a 'Deep Sleep' setting. If so, turn it off.

25 minutes ago, RainfallWithin said:

I have experienced this problem before on a lower end 3840x2160 monitor by Acer, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

The problem is caused by the DisplayPort inside the monitor which basically behaves as though the monitor has been unplugged from the computer very time it enter sleep state. Perhaps on some monitors the DisplayPort standard has not been entirely met.

Look at the monitor's on screen display settings to see if there is a 'Deep Sleep' setting. If so, turn it off.

Thanks, all sleep settings are already off on the monitor, there's only 2 options. 

It's a Samsung Odyssey G9 so it's far from a lower end monitor. But it's incredibly frustrating to happen constantly. 

When I experienced the problem, it only happened with that specific Acer monitor and no other monitor that I plugged in. Using the monitor connected to its HDMI port worked well and without problems, but for you that's probably not an option since your monitor is a G-Sync one and requires a DisplayPort connection.

I tried deleting registry entries for other monitors, as suggested by other people on forums, but the windows resetting problem would always return eventually.

I had found a program called 'winredock' written by manutalcual, for rearranging windows when you re-dock your laptop or change monitors, but didn't try it because I was using a work computer and liked to keep it as clean as possible, and now I have no need for it since I'm using different hardware. However, it may work for you.
https://github.com/manutalcual/winredock

I'm tired of always rearranging windows when I leave my desk to go to a meeting with my laptop. I always have to go one application to the following restoring their previous positions and sizes.

This is quite annoying.

To sove this problem, I've developed a small tool to load window positions and sizes, write a configuration file and be able to restore the application windows to their previous sizes and positions.

It is a tool so don't expect to be a production class application. (Comments and requess for improvement are welcome, however.)

Update to this - I've had better luck really taking some time to configure DisplayFusion and Window profiles for it. 

WinKey + NumPad0 is my shortcut for my work layout (which has the most windows by far).

Still some annoyances here as some windows such as GOG Galaxy, Discord, Spotify, etc all want to open up in the top left corner if they aren't actually open when I restore the windows.

Was hoping to find a full-blown fix still.

For the programs that are still having their window positions reset, you can try FancyZones. It's a feature of PowerToys, which I use on a daily basis, and there are regular updates for it at the moment.

One of the options in FancyZones is 'Move newly created windows to their last known zone'.

1786057373_761114F7-0778-4730-BA9D-340BFAA7039C.png.thumb.jpg.636b181dc2e917d1fd416a121fb26c26.jpg

15 minutes ago, RainfallWithin said:

Oh, I've heard a lot about FancyZones but didn't know that was an option. DisplayFusion I thought did the same thing but DF has SO many options it's pretty insane.

I'll give FancyZones a try too and see what that does instead. 

Do you happen to know if it just forces it to a zone or will it force it to open it its last known location? like if I have it at the middle of a zone non-maximized?

There are templates for zones, but you can also create your own zones anywhere you want on your screen.

For example, when Discord is closed to the system tray, you click on its icon to show its window again. With FancyZones it will automatically return to the last zone you placed it in. It does this even if you completely close the program and relaunch it.

1 hour ago, RainfallWithin said:

There templates for zones, but you can also create your own zones anywhere you want on your screen.

For example, when Discord is closed to the system tray, you click on its icon to show its window again. With FancyZones it will automatically return to the last zone you placed it in. It does this even if you completely close the program and relaunch it.

So I just tested this as I went to get lunch and this isn't working for me either. It does up until my monitor goes into sleep mode, but as soon as the monitor goes into sleep mode, and I re-open something like Discord, or even the "new email" window in Outlook, it forces it back to the top left of the monitor. 

I know setting the monitor to never sleep is an option but then it's always on, backlight always on, making heat, etc, 24/7, I'd really like to avoid that I think. :(

Enable the option 'Override Windows Snap hotkeys (Win + Arrow) to move windows between zones'.

This will allow you to quickly move the program windows back into position. You need to press Win + Left/Right Arrow

Apparently there is a problem in version 19.2 of PowerToys where the option 'Keep windows in their zones when the screen resolution changes' isn't working correctly. I think this option could be your solution to the window positions getting reset. They are working on a fix, so you can either wait for the next update, or try version 18.2 which was known to work, while you wait for the fix. Like I said, updates are regular.

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/issues/5012

On 7/17/2020 at 6:26 PM, RainfallWithin said:

Enable the option 'Override Windows Snap hotkeys (Win + Arrow) to move windows between zones'.

This will allow you to quickly move the program windows back into position. You need to press Win + Left/Right Arrow

Apparently there is a problem in version 19.2 of PowerToys where the option 'Keep windows in their zones when the screen resolution changes' isn't working correctly. I think this option could be your solution to the window positions getting reset. They are working on a fix, so you can either wait for the next update, or try version 18.2 which was known to work, while you wait for the fix. Like I said, updates are regular.

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/issues/5012

Oh wow, THANK YOU for this. 18.2 works great now...

This is a pretty big difference. I have some pretty random and arbitrary zones setup for where I want certain windows to show up at and now they show up properly when opening them. I can add new zones here and windows I always want in a certain place I'll put in those zones and paired with shortcuts to restore windows to the positions I want them in with DisplayFusion should result in me only having to do a single keybaord shortcut when I log back in to get everything back where I want it. 

I am very pleased that you will be able to use a simple shortcut to put all the windows back into their correct positions.

I will edit this post or add a comment when Microsoft releases a PowerToys update to fix the FancyZones bug for 'Keep windows in their zones when the screen resolution changes', so that yourself and future users who find this can simply use the latest version.

13 hours ago, RainfallWithin said:

I am very pleased that you will be able to use a simple shortcut to put all the windows back into their correct positions.

I will edit this post or add a comment when Microsoft releases a PowerToys update to fix the FancyZones bug for 'Keep windows in their zones when the screen resolution changes', so that yourself and future users who find this can simply use the latest version.

Wonderful! If you make a new post I'll get notified by email and that will remind me to re-enable PowerToys updates :)

Thanks so much for all the information here. I apprecaite it a lot!

• 5 months later...

So there is no real solution to this issue? Only duct tape? Had this issue with the same two monitors on three different NVIDIA cards :(

11 minutes ago, Sigerdrivar said:

So there is no real solution to this issue? Only duct tape? Had this issue with the same two monitors on three different NVIDIA cards :(

Duct Tape?

It's also not an nvidia/card issue, it's a Windows issue with how it handles displayport connections. 

What are you doing with duck tape though? lol

1 minute ago, CorneliousJD said:

Duct Tape?

It's also not an nvidia/card issue, it's a Windows issue with how it handles displayport connections. 

Oh that was just my silly figure of speech :P I ment that the problem isnt really fixed, but worked around using ... "duct tape" - to hold it together (and even duct tape falls off eventually :P )

18 minutes ago, CorneliousJD said:

Duct Tape?

Anyways, didnt mean to "downgrade" any of the solutions here by calling it duct tape :|  was just hoping for a more permanent fix. Gone thru all the registry fixes, that doesnt work. Tried reinstalling about everything you can think of. Monitor doesnt have a deep sleep setting (ASUS VG27BQ). One thing i have not tried that was suggested on a forum, was to buy high end DP cables to replace the bundled ones. Not that i see that beeing the issue here concidering the only difference between cable standards is the transmission rate.

Well, i did find a solution to the resize / window moving issue. Tho i still get annoying nvidia gsync-montior-connectedpopus (wich i can disable at least), and it takes 5-10 sec for my monitors to turn on. 

I did try this earlier and it didnt work, but i just realized that i forgot to include my 3rd monitor (TV) wich i only enable now and then. As i understand it there are placeholder settings (including resolution) in the registry in windows for when the monitors disconnect (deep sleep). If the resolution set here differs from the resolution you use on your real monitors, all your windows will go FUBAR after monitors sleep. So check out this link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/windows-10-multiple-display-windows-are-moved-and/2b9d5a18-45cc-4c50-b16e-fd95dbf27ff3?page=29

34 minutes ago, Sigerdrivar said:

Well, i did find a solution to the resize / window moving issue. Tho i still get annoying nvidia gsync-montior-connectedpopus (wich i can disable at least), and it takes 5-10 sec for my monitors to turn on. 

I did try this earlier and it didnt work, but i just realized that i forgot to include my 3rd monitor (TV) wich i only enable now and then. As i understand it there are placeholder settings (including resolution) in the registry in windows for when the monitors disconnect (deep sleep). If the resolution set here differs from the resolution you use on your real monitors, all your windows will go FUBAR after monitors sleep. So check out this link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/windows-10-multiple-display-windows-are-moved-and/2b9d5a18-45cc-4c50-b16e-fd95dbf27ff3?page=29

interesting. I haven't seen this exact method before, so I will give it a try (probably tomorrow) and report back.

On 1/5/2021 at 4:23 PM, Sigerdrivar said:

Sadly this is not working for me, the 2nd monitor oddly enough just goes to 1920x1080 (not its actual resolution) when I do this setup, and my windows still end up being resized.

I see. Well i the goal with that guide is to have the placeholder settings equal the settings of your monitors. And i assume the keys PrimSurfSize.cx and .cy and Position.cx and .cy sets the monitors in relative position to each other. You can check those values and change as needed, just back up before :P Has worked for me for a few days now, as far as fixing the reorginizing of windows and sizes. But still, would love to get rid of the whole deep sleep state but i guess that wont happen :(

• 4 months later...