Asus G531GU temp issues (CPU over 95C)

I have an Asus G531GU with i5-9300H and GTX1660Ti and while gaming (or even doing anything that uses the CPU mildly) the CPU temps reach as hot as 98c, while the GPU stays at around 75c.

I think that theres something to do with the mounting of the cooler, could that be an issue? Or simply bad thermal paste?

Unfortunately I can't replace the paste without losing the warranty and Asus won't replace it eitherw under warranty.

Undervolting doesn't help either, nor does using a cooling pad.

The CPU can sustain 32-35W power and 4Ghz, but still, it's thermal throttling sometimes and im not comfortable with these kind of temps even if it is a laptop.

So the question is, would a simple repasting solve the issue and is it worth it voiding my warranty for it wich has around 1.5 years left?

I have the GL531GU which has the same specs as yours.  I run about 75-80c on a full CPU - GPU load.  I did a repaste with Kryonaut and undervolt through Throttlestop 100mV.  Answer is probably in removing the old paste. 

3 minutes ago, daveholland86 said:

I have the GL531GU which has the same specs as yours.  I run about 75-80c on a full CPU - GPU load.  I did a repaste with Kryonaut and undervolt through Throttlestop 100mV.  Answer is probably in removing the old paste. 

Do u have any other issues with yours? 

Or anything that I should be worried about, or any reason not to loose warranty?

Not at all, this thing is perfect and I have no issues and I dont expect any.  I have never had an Asus part fail on me.  I have had Gigabyte and MSI boards fail in the past.  

Okay, then repasting it is

Thanks for the help!

Pretty normal for stock. Intel mobile CPUs run hot and Asus uses mediocre paste.

13 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

Okay, then repasting it is

Thanks for the help!

You will lose warranty so kind that

2 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Pretty normal for stock. Intel mobile CPUs run hot and Asus uses mediocre paste.

You will lose warranty so kind that

In this model I got about 50c idle temps, which is good for a laptop.  I didnt see an improvement with the new paste until full load, even then I was still not hitting thermal throttle.  I always prop mine up to it can get more air though so that may be a difference.  Soon also to be water cooled. 

57 minutes ago, daveholland86 said:

In this model I got about 50c idle temps, which is good for a laptop.  I didnt see an improvement with the new paste until full load, even then I was still not hitting thermal throttle.  I always prop mine up to it can get more air though so that may be a difference.  Soon also to be water cooled. 

50 idle is normal for laptops.

But you REALLY shouldn't have to go through all of that just to keep your expensive gaming laptop from doubling as a thermo-nuclear reactor

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

50 idle is normal for laptops.

But you REALLY shouldn't have to go through all of that just to keep your expensive gaming laptop from doubling as a thermo-nuclear reactor

This one has been really good for me.  My last i7 MSI was only designed with a single fan to cool everything.  Now that was a crazy idea.  

39 minutes ago, daveholland86 said:

This one has been really good for me.  My last i7 MSI was only designed with a single fan to cool everything.  Now that was a crazy idea.  

Well the vast majority of MSI laptops in the GE, GP and GL series have been a disaster so I'm not surprised. The G531 is not earth-shattering by any means (it's no G14) but it's not as bad as the GE60 or other dumpster fires.

4 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Well the vast majority of MSI laptops in the GE, GP and GL series have been a disaster so I'm not surprised. The G531 is not earth-shattering by any means (it's no G14) but it's not as bad as the GE60 or other dumpster fires.

Perfect observation, my old MSI is a GE60, the one I am water cooling now.  No the 531 isnt, but for me coming from the GE60 it night and day.  It doesnt throttle and doesnt even run high fan most of the time gaming.  I am also water cooling this one too, just got done bending the hard line pipes for it. 

Repasting finally solved the issue, I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and the temps are now under control at about 75-80 on the CPU and 75 max at GPU.