How can I organize all these cables I have?

Linkolinx

Hi everyone

Much like a lot of you, I have a lot of cables.

Video cables, network cables, SATA cables, USB C cables, Micro USB cables, Mini USB cables, Audio cables, Audio adapters, video adapters, it goes on and on (and on and on!) 

Thing is, I don't have a good way to store and organize these cables that doesn't look awful or isn't a pain in the butt.

Does anyone have any good tips on how to keep things organized?

Currently I have them organized into small tubs from the dollar store that are labeled according to categories ( i.e. Wall warts, power cables, type c cables and adapters, etc.) but unfortunately my SO doesn't like the look of them and they take up space, which is unfortunately at a premium since I rent in Vancouver :P

Any suggestions would be kindly appreciated!

why?

4 minutes ago, Linkolinx said:

Currently I have them organized into small tubs

4 minutes ago, Linkolinx said:

my SO doesn't like the look of them and they take up space

so..... you want a portal that teleports them to another dimension so they dont take up space and cant be seen? lol , jk

but um really they have to take up some sort of space and have to be in some sort of containment device and to be frank..... we had no idea what your SO approves of visually.

1 minute ago, Linkolinx said:

Thing is, I don't have a good way to store and organize these cables that doesn't look awful or isn't a pain in the butt.

Nothing would impress your significant other more than LTT Cable Ties.

https://www.lttstore.com/products/20-pack-ltt-cable-ties-first-edition

Put them all in a container under the bed? Or go through and get rid of any cables and stuff that you no longer need, like chargers for old devices you no longer have.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, emosun said:

so..... you want a portal that teleports them to another dimension so they dont take up space and cant be seen? lol , jk

I suppose a should clarify, lol. 

The plastic tubs are not space efficient.

I think the main thing is that she doesn't want to have to see them, but I would still like to be able to get at them easily.

why?

2 minutes ago, Linkolinx said:

I think the main thing is that she doesn't want to have to see them, but I would still like to be able to get at them easily.

well they call that a drawer. so buy a small stack of drawers

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Put them all in a container under the bed?

That's where the clothes live! You don't want homeless pants, do you?

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Or go through and get rid of any cables and stuff that you no longer need, like chargers for old devices you no longer have.

Already have. Still have loads. I've got at least one of every cable i'll ever need and i usually keep old chargers around because occasionally I'll need to Frankenstein some stuff together when I'm in a pinch

why?

What about a tackle bag with tackle trays that fishermen use? You can customize the layout of the trays with the little plastic dividers that come with them. You can purchase them as a set that comes in a bag which would keep them together and easy to get to. Put the bag in a closet when you don't need it. Borrow a label maker from someone if you don't have one and label the top facing part of the trays so when you open the bag you can see what is in each tray via. the label. 

Here's a link to check out so you can see what I'm talking about. I would get the one with 8 boxes if I were you. You can select how many boxes you get with the size selector on that page. 

Tackle Bag with Trays 

6 minutes ago, Watercooledguy said:

What about a tackle bag with tackle trays that fishermen use?

I really like this idea! Would be great for the smaller cables and adapters and would be useful for when make the occasional house call for tech-support.

A little bit challenging for bigger stuff though, like video cables and AC cords, or stuff that can't be wound tight like coax. I have this one T H I C C DVI  Dual-Link cable that def wouldn't fit.

Maybe I could split up my collection? I'd rather not but my mind is open.

why?

4 hours ago, Linkolinx said:

I've always like to use bulldog clips. They can hang on screws or be clipped to the back or legs of the desk. If you wanted something a bit more discreet then some quality cable ties (LTTstore.com) might be a good choice for affixing the cables to desk legs.

Example of the clips.
687ab5eaec4275f02520b66047c76e95.jpg

7 hours ago, Kabrevre said:

I've always like to use bulldog clips. They can hang on screws or be clipped to the back or legs of the desk. If you wanted something a bit more discreet then some quality cable ties (LTTstore.com) might be a good choice for affixing the cables to desk legs.

Example of the clips.

Thats neat trick and something that goes to memory next time I need to change my setup.

I would also recommend cable ties and some sort of bag with many pockets or dividers. Like some messenger bag meant for laptops. Bigger cables (HDMI, power cables etc.) can go in bigger parts, pockets for USB and other smaller ones. If you need to move them around, or just want something similar to binders, you could get a lot of cheap laptop sleeves (those which open like a book) and glue in some elastic bands for holding cables in place.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

A lot of it depends on size and type, but there are a few different options.

Given you say there's several totes and space is at a premium, I'd suggest something like those back-of-door organizers. Mine was black, but I've seen people use the clear ones and label the pockets for different cables. You don't have to hang it on a door either, you could roll it up and stow it in a single tote or under a bed if needed, and then unroll when necessary.

Another option as LogicalDim mentions is something like a tablet or laptop sleeve. Depending on the quantities in question, you could have a sleeve or two per type to label them, and then store them in a box or tote.

And finally, you could do the toilet paper roll method.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone!

I'll have to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision

why?

On 7/15/2020 at 9:30 PM, Linkolinx said:

Hi everyone

Video cables, network cables, SATA cables, USB C cables, Micro USB cables, Mini USB cables, Audio cables, Audio adapters, video adapters, it goes on and on (and on and on!) 

Currently I have them organized into small tubs from the dollar store that are labeled according to categories ( i.e. Wall warts, power cables, type c cables and adapters, etc.) but unfortunately my SO doesn't like the look of them and they take up space, which is unfortunately at a premium since I rent in Vancouver :P

I would recommend cable ties of course. As well as possibly using stickers, tape, label maker to label drawers or cabinets. You could also label what cables go to what if you ever get confused.

On 7/16/2020 at 10:00 AM, Linkolinx said:

Hi everyone

Yo I personally use the boxes they shipped with and use them as storage units. I keep all cables in a bigger box. I hang my Ethernet cables on the walls of my garage and other such places. But make sure to bundle up cables according to the category they fall under(i.e.Sata cables,USB C cables etc.). 

Thanking you,

Yours faithfully,

Celeric07

Empty toilet rolls and a shoe box. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series?