Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clawkikker

So i am looking to get a fast router that supports vpn and is decently fast under 200?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So i have a list of them from the asus compare site but i don't know which one is good for vpn but also has decent speed and security. These are just the ones i am thinking about. I am open to suggestions still.
https://www.asus.com/us/Product-Compare/?products=2stih2y7a4vufmyb,qwey5ev1e2svejlg,FuSr2UwZNsqc7PRa&b=0 I am using vpn for like when i am in hotels etc. also i think it is open vpn

5 minutes ago, Clawkikker said:

So i have a list of them from the asus compare site but i don't know which one is good for vpn but also has decent speed and security. These are just the ones i am thinking about. I am open to suggestions still.
https://www.asus.com/us/Product-Compare/?products=2stih2y7a4vufmyb,qwey5ev1e2svejlg,FuSr2UwZNsqc7PRa&b=0 I am using vpn for like when i am in hotels etc. also i think it is open vpn

Have upper price you are happy to spend ? ignore this lol. I personally am a massive fan on the asus line and that is what i run

CPU - R9 3900X | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X73 360MM | Motherboard -  ASRock x570 Steel Legend | RAM -G.SKILL Trident Z (4x16GB) 3600Mhz CL16 | Graphics Card - MSI 1660 Armour OC 6GB (Sold my 2080 super so i can go 3000 series)  | Power Supply - Cooler Master V-series 1200 Platinum | Storage - 

500GB Evo 970 plus NVME - OS Drive | Aorus Gen4 AIC Adaptor 2x A2000 1TB Raid 0 - Steam Games Drive3 x 2TB WD Black HDD Raid 0 - Program Drives/Games Over Flow Drive 2x 4TB Segate HDD Raid 0 - Plex Drive Case - 

Phantek Enthoo Pro | Fans - CRYORIG QF120 Performance PWM Fan 120mm, 600-2200RPM x 7

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Network - Asus 5300AC -----> TP-Link TL-SG1024 24-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch -----> Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-LITE Dual-band AC1200 x3 | Slowly working to 10Gbps but this set up now happily takes my 1Gbps connection :P 

I personally love my orbi RBK23 setup. Absolutely fantastic multi-AP mesh system. Has great wifi and has LAN ports as well. If you need it - it does support VLAN's but I would recommend the RBK50 for VLAN's instead. Uses the standard OpenVPN connections. However if you are just looking for a stable connection back to your house, Zero Tier One is a great free option that lets you create a personal network between all your devices. 

Mainline: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jstacklin/saved/DwvQqs Display(s): Acer K272HUL; ASUS VX248H  Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech G613/G602 Sound: Logitech z313; HyperX Cloud Stinger; Sennheiser HD428 Operating System: WinX Pro Phone: Galaxy S9 Unlocked (Lilac Purple)

2 hours ago, Escapenz said:

Have upper price you are happy to spend ? ignore this lol. I personally am a massive fan on the asus line and that is what i run

ok, but do you know if the tri core vs quad core processor both @1.5 ghz should make a difference

On 7/24/2020 at 2:26 AM, marceltr said:

Will a VPN give me 100 percent anonymous?

depends, if using a router vpn conencted to your homr network, your isp still has your data, but if you use private internet access(lol) or nordvpn, that has a no log policy, there is a higher chance of staying anonymous. Countries outside of the five eyes group like England, US, Canada, etc can spy on you but nord, which is based in panama, is not part of these organizations, so it is more anonymous, but nothing is truly anonymous.

On 7/24/2020 at 3:26 AM, marceltr said:

Will a VPN give me 100 percent anonymous?

No. First of all the VPN provider can snoop your data. Some say they don't keep logs but you cant be 100% sure on that. Like mentioned above the US and some of its allies share intel. So if you use a provider in those countries there is potentially for laws to be in place that the VPN provider had to keep detailed logs. Secondly, You have to pay for most VPN's. So at the very least your name, address and payment details might be in their system. 

With all that being said. A VPN mainly is to protect you from the prying eyes of your ISP. Some ISP's like Comcast for instance has been known to throttle select traffic. Such as steaming, or services like Bit torrent. A VPN creates an encrypted tunnel that the ISP cant look in to. But your data is on encrypted between you and the VPN provider, at some point it pops out the ass hole of the internet somewhere in the world. 

Most people use VPN services to get around geolocking of content, such as what Netflix does. OR get around ISP throttling. Ive also VPN's can be useful if your trying to port forward but are on carrier grade NAT.