How far are RTX 3000 series laptops?

nVidia is stopping production of the 2000 series GPUs so 3000 series is coming in the next months.

When do you think we will start to see laptops with the 3000 series GPUs?

Based on the fact that AFAIK only the production of higher end cards is stopping, the high end (and high power) 3000 series cards are probably going to be released first but I don't know how much time it will take nVidia to release the lower end cards and how much time from their release it will take laptop manufacturers to build laptops with them. What are your opinions?

Usually it's a month or 2 before they launch the 80 and 70 series for laptops and then very soon after the 60. All the lower end stuff comes far later.

NVidia has consistently adhered to the trend of their x60 GPU being a little faster than the last gen x70 GPU, sometimes closer to the x80. 

So the 3060 will perform somewhere between the level of a 2070 and a 2080, probably almost identical to a 2070 super if I were to guess. A laptop 3060 will likely perform similarly to a laptop 2070 super.

When will we see them? Probably around the end of 2020, holiday season.

18 hours ago, Aereldor said:

NVidia has consistently adhered to the trend of their x60 GPU being a little faster than the last gen x70 GPU, sometimes closer to the x80. 

So the 3060 will perform somewhere between the level of a 2070 and a 2080, probably almost identical to a 2070 super if I were to guess. A laptop 3060 will likely perform similarly to a laptop 2070 super.

When will we see them? Probably around the end of 2020, holiday season.

I know, that's why I am looking at the 3070 this time around.  Currently, on a 1660 Ti and not disappointed, but could use some more power for higher resolutions (looking at 4k). 

6 hours ago, daveholland86 said:

I know, that's why I am looking at the 3070 this time around.  Currently, on a 1660 Ti and not disappointed, but could use some more power for higher resolutions (looking at 4k). 

Yeah the 3070 will be monstrous at 4k. Honestly though a 1660 ti is okay for 4k if you don't mind lowering the settings. IMO medium with textures on high looks indistinguishable from max settings. You also don't need anti-aliasing at 4k and I would discourage motion blur. Give it a shot, see what happens.

2 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Yeah the 3070 will be monstrous at 4k. Honestly though a 1660 ti is okay for 4k if you don't mind lowering the settings. IMO medium with textures on high looks indistinguishable from max settings. You also don't need anti-aliasing at 4k and I would discourage motion blur. Give it a shot, see what happens.

I am a stickler for cranking up the visuals, but at the same time I am not one to care much about frame rate.  I can play at 30 fps (bet someone reading this just got upset), I dont play competitive multiplayer.  I am super impressed with the 1660 Ti performance and where it falls in the line up.  I came from an RX 560 crossfire setup.  In this Covid economy, I am just hoping I still have a job when the 3070s come out or I will have to watch other people be happy and I will have to settle for "just" a 1660 Ti laptop. 

34 minutes ago, daveholland86 said:

I am a stickler for cranking up the visuals, but at the same time I am not one to care much about frame rate.  I can play at 30 fps (bet someone reading this just got upset), I dont play competitive multiplayer.  I am super impressed with the 1660 Ti performance and where it falls in the line up.  I came from an RX 560 crossfire setup.  In this Covid economy, I am just hoping I still have a job when the 3070s come out or I will have to watch other people be happy and I will have to settle for "just" a 1660 Ti laptop. 

Oh, I was the target of a mass flaming when I said that a $400 gaming PC is a solid gaming experience these days (1080p 60fps), but that depends on the game. Tbh max settings don't mean what they used to, I find it hard to tell the visual difference between medium and ultra, but I can definitely tell that the game runs at 1/3rd the fps.

You can be happy with a 1660 Ti laptop, at 1080p. On a 13" to 15" screen, resolution is pretty arbitrary. I mean sure it looks sharper, but it isn't the night and day difference you'd expect, and provides no experience advantage for games IMO.

By the way, I just noticed your username. Is that in reference to the bass player Dave Holland?