Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RevTadd

Bluetooth Dongle that Pairs Directly to Keyboard

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but is anyone aware of a bluetooth dongle that allows you to pair a keyboard specifically to the dongle (rather than the computer the dongle is plugged in to)?

Basically, I have a bluetooth-only keyboard that while a relatively cheap membrane keyboard, I personally find very comfortable for long-term typing. It only pairs with one device at a time however and I would like to be able to pair it to a specific dongle that I can then plug directly into a docking station I use with multiple laptops, rather than re-pairing to each laptop every time I switch computers1

1. Obviously the sensible thing to do would be to just get a non-bluetooth wireless keyboard like the Logitech G915, but I rather like my current keyboard

I don't think this is possible, but some manufacturers sell the same keyboard with multiple difficult connectivity options.

It's possible, though unlikely, that you can buy your keyboard with a USB connectivity option, rather than Bluetooth.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Bluetooth dongle is only the transmitter, the registration (pair) is done in the PC.

What you want is a keyboard with a RF dongle. Look for a 2,4ghz wireless usb keyboard.

The keyboard is forever paired with the dongle, loose the dongle you practically loose the keyboard.

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks, and just getting a new keyboard is certainly the obvious answer to this problem, but I've just never found another keyboard that I liked typing on better than my current one.

I know 8BitDo makes a wireless usb adapter that allows you to connect a bluetooth game controller (e.g. Xbox One controller) to a Nintendo Switch and was hoping there was something similar that could work for a keyboard instead.

Or similar to one of those bluetooth adapters that lets you use your wireless bluetooth headphones with a regular 1/8 audio port for airplanes and such (but with USB instead).