Trying to buy a Video card used, any advice on what to look for?

Prebuild_Noob

As the title said, Im currently trying to build my first own PC (had prebuilds before that).
From what I have gathered, GPU and CPU are the most sensible things to buy used, since others come with more drawbacks.

I'm looking for a 2080 super or 2080 ti, and there are some nice offers around me, but Im not sure what to look out for. If they agree to meet up to test it, what are good Programms to test or visual things i need to pay attention too?

(If anyone wants to comment on what to look out for CPU (for me most likely Ryzen 7 or 9 , Im happy to hear it too :) )

Hope you guys are having a nice day!

4 minutes ago, Prebuild_Noob said:

I'm looking for a 2080 super or 2080 ti

What's the pricing on these used? Nvidia cards usually hold their value pretty well and you may not actually be saving much. Looking at sold listing in the UK, most models go for near the original price, and for only a small discount I don't think it's worth risking a dead card or lack of support.

I would also suggest waiting for Ampere and RDNA2 to launch in a few months time.

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

for both passmark performance test is good because the average score of all test ever for every component is on the website  

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

I agree with @marmour These cards will drop in price after new releases in 2 months time or so. This will probably mean you will actually save more money. 

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

10 minutes ago, Prebuild_Noob said:

As the title said, Im currently trying to build my first own PC (had prebuilds before that).
From what I have gathered, GPU and CPU are the most sensible things to buy used, since others come with more drawbacks.

I'm looking for a 2080 super or 2080 ti, and there are some nice offers around me, but Im not sure what to look out for. If they agree to meet up to test it, what are good Programms to test or visual things i need to pay attention too?

(If anyone wants to comment on what to look out for CPU (for me most likely Ryzen 7 or 9 , Im happy to hear it too :) )

Hope you guys are having a nice day!

what games will you be playing?

what is the monitor's res and refresh rate?

what is your desired quality in games?

what is your psu?

if youre buying an rtx 2000 card just for the ray tracing then please dont

ray tracing with the current gen cards is just a bad joke.

the 3000 series will be more powerful and will most likely handle ray tracing way better so i suggest you wait for now.

if you can find a trusted seller, that has a lot of positive feedbacks, and sells one of them for cheap then yeah, go for it.

BUT it depends on the prices in your country.

if a used 2080 super is like 50 or 60 bucks less then a new one, wait for the next gen series. paired with a ryzen 7 or 9 you could get really good performance out of the new cards once they become available for purchase  

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

6 minutes ago, marmour said:

What's the pricing on these used? Nvidia cards usually hold their value pretty well and you may not actually be saving much. Looking at sold listing in the UK, most models go for near the original price, and for only a small discount I don't think it's worth risking a dead card or lack of support.

I would also suggest waiting for Ampere and RDNA2 to launch in a few months time.

Around me, the savings for the super werent as much (600-700), but the 2080 ti usually sold around 700-800 which surprised me

Yeah, I also heard that AMD is coming out with new hardware soon, so waiting would probably be wise :)
How much improvement do you usually see with a new generation?

7 minutes ago, mahyar said:

for both passmark performance test is good because the average score of all test ever for every component is on the website  

ah thanks, ill check it out!

2 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

what games will you be playing?

what is the monitor's res and refresh rate?

what is your desired quality in games?

what is your psu?

if youre buying an rtx 2000 card just for the ray tracing then please dont

ray tracing with the current gen cards is just a bad joke.

the 3000 series will be more powerful and will most likely handle ray tracing way better so i suggest you wait for now.

if you can find a trusted seller, that has a lot of positive feedbacks, and sells one of them for cheap then yeah, go for it.

BUT it depends on the prices in your country.

if a used 2080 super is like 50 or 60 bucks less then a new one, wait for the next gen series. paired with a ryzen 7 or 9 you could get really good performance out of the new cards once they become available for purchase  

Im updating from a really old system, so my monitor will be new too :) I was aiming for either 60hz 4k or 144hz and lower res.
I will probably buy most things apart from CPU and GPU new since they dont make up that much of the budget and I want reliability fo rthe expensive components.

Any Idea how much 3000 series will cost/when it will come out/how much of an Improvement it wil be?

Would you recommend waiting for th enew Ryzen generation too, or just the GPU?

8 minutes ago, Prebuild_Noob said:

2080 ti usually sold around 700-800 which surprised me

That is a pretty nice saving.

8 minutes ago, Prebuild_Noob said:

How much improvement do you usually see with a new generation?

Hard to predict. Last gen there was about a 20-30% improvement from the 1080ti to the 2080ti, but the price hike was terrible. I haven't been really keeping up with the rumours but it does seem pretty promising for this gen, especially if AMD can bring some competition in the higher end.

Also with the new cards you may see better second hand listings. On the other hand, it may be like the 1080ti, where it fell dramatically and a few people got bargains, and then everyone realised and the price was hiked way up as stock ran out

Edited by marmour
Changed 'and' to 'AMD'

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

3 minutes ago, marmour said:

That is a pretty nice saving.

Hard to predict. Last gen there was about a 20-30% improvement from the 1080ti to the 2080ti, but the price hike was terrible. I haven't been really keeping up with the rumours but it does seem pretty promising for this gen, especially if AMD can bring some competition in the higher end.

Also with the new cards you may see better second hand listings. On the other hand, it may be like the 1080ti, where it fell dramatically and a few people got bargains, and then everyone realised and the price was hiked way up as stock ran out

yeah, this is why I basically have the choice between super+ryzen 7 new or ti and ryzen 9 used for pretty much the same price but less reliability :)

But you guys are probably right, waiting for new release will probably bring the price even lower. but then Ill probably be tempted to buy the new ones when they are good 😅

1 hour ago, Prebuild_Noob said:

Any Idea how much 3000 series will cost/when it will come out/how much of an Improvement it wil be?

Would you recommend waiting for th enew Ryzen generation too, or just the GPU?

we cant really know but the 2000 series will most likely drop in price if your country still has a lot of stock.

stores will most likely look for opportunities to sell the old RTX 2000 stock (probably the cheaper 2070, 2070 super and maybe even the regular non super 2080) but im not really sure about the 2080 super and the 2080 ti since they are the top end gpus. thats the case in my country and this is how i got my 2080 aorus for a good price.

since you did say youre looking at 2080 supers and 2080 tis i would recommend you waiting with your build for now, if the purchase is not that important, i would recommend you also waiting for amd's new gen cpu as well as nvidia's 3000 series.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee