Summing up every things to do when first booting up a new laptop

Ok so there are many article online tell you what to do when you first turn on your new computer like cleaning unnecessary apps or backing up stuff, etc. Can anyone pls sum up EVERYTHING you should do a fresh computer? (Windows 10 laptop btw)

Hey there. Slightly confused by the wording, and would appreciate more context. 😅

• Are we assuming the PC is pre-built? You mentioned "buying a new computer." If that's the case, most of the vital drivers and software -- along with the usual bloatware/marketing shenanigans-- should already be installed on the system.
  • If the PC is not pre-built, are we assuming Windows 10 has already been installed on the system?
  • Unsure what you mean by "first things to do." Are you referring to the drivers, programs, and other software users usually install after the OS has been installed?

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Knowing why you want one in the first place is useful.  Informs what you want to get.  Do you mean actions to build a white box?  Actions to take to secure your system?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Eschew said:

Hey there. Slightly confused by the wording, and would appreciate more context. 😅

• Are we assuming the PC is pre-built? You mentioned "buying a new computer." If that's the case, most of the vital drivers and software -- along with the usual bloatware/marketing shenanigans-- should already be installed on the system.
  • If the PC is not pre-built, are we assuming Windows 10 has already been installed on the system?
  • Unsure what you mean by "first things to do." Are you referring to the drivers, programs, and other software users usually install after the OS has been installed?

Sorry, I'm just buying an Asus ROG Strix G531 (a laptop and I will have it pre-installed Windows 10)

There are many articles telling you should make a snapshot (technically a backup?) when you just turn a laptop on for the first time and clean unnecessary apps, etc. I'm just really confused at this point 😅

Edited: Or maybe I'm just believing clickbait info anyway...

Edited by Cakey

2 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

1. Install your stuff

2. Use your stuff

Pretty accurate! XD

Sorry that my question is so f-ing vague (no coffee me, haha?). I just edited it to be more clear now. Really sorry 😢

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Knowing why you want one in the first place is useful.  Informs what you want to get.  Do you mean actions to build a white box?  Actions to take to secure your system?  

No I mean like the first time we boot them up. Should I like create a backup or something like that?

18 minutes ago, Cakey said:

No I mean like the first time we boot them up. Should I like create a backup or something like that?

Read the update and other posts and noticed it’s a laptop.  So everything is preinstalled, including shovelware if there is any. Simplifies things. Maybe a disk image absolutely first thing before connecting to the internet to get the shipped drivers, then again after an update and cleanup to remove any shovelware.  Keep both.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.