Motherboard/pwm/water cooling

so ill start by saying that I hope to not get flamed on this question as I know its an odd one...

I have an asus maximus xii extreme and currently a corsair xd5 rgb pump res combo.

I have a crazy OCD fedish with information being displayed and always available.

What I'm trying to do id have a display that monitors the pump rpm, water pressure, temp, etc on my cooling loop. The display im planning on using says that I need the pump pwm wire plugged into it and the display plugs into the chassis fan header on the motherboard for power. I'd prefer the display be plugged into the power supply directly and not the motherboard and I'd like the pump pwm to be plugged into the display and the motherboard so the display shows the rpm but the motherboard is aware of whats going on to.

So my questions are specifically...

1. Can I get an adapter to hook the display up to the power supply directly and any thoughts on if i should or not.

2. Is it ok or a bad idea to take the pwm wire from the pump and split it with one going to the display and the other to the motherboard. The pumps power is supplied directly from the power supply and the pwm is only the 2 wires for signal and 5v if i understand correctly. 

Any thoughts on this are welcome...keep in mind its because I just want the display and such.

The unit i wish to use...i prefer not to have a display that requires the computer to be on and a program running in the background. 

The wire coming off of the unit goes to the chassis fan 3 pin plug but it only has 2 wires, im guessing they are a simple positive and negative. 

H133b79b43ca4401188055d68856eddbfC.jpg

H1d4eaf9d40f64ab69a205c4c8e1a60a8o.jpg

5 minutes ago, Trazor1 said:

so ill start by saying that I hope to not get flamed on this question as I know its an odd one...

I have an asus maximus xii extreme and currently a corsair xd5 rgb pump res combo.

I have a crazy OCD fedish with information being displayed and always available.

What I'm trying to do id have a display that monitors the pump rpm, water pressure, temp, etc on my cooling loop. The display im planning on using says that I need the pump pwm wire plugged into it and the display plugs into the chassis fan header on the motherboard for power. I'd prefer the display be plugged into the power supply directly and not the motherboard and I'd like the pump pwm to be plugged into the display and the motherboard so the display shows the rpm but the motherboard is aware of whats going on to.

So my questions are specifically...

1. Can I get an adapter to hook the display up to the power supply directly and any thoughts on if i should or not.

2. Is it ok or a bad idea to take the pwm wire from the pump and split it with one going to the display and the other to the motherboard. The pumps power is supplied directly from the power supply and the pwm is only the 2 wires for signal and 5v if i understand correctly. 

Any thoughts on this are welcome...keep in mind its because I just want the display and such.

The unit i wish to use...i prefer not to have a display that requires the computer to be on and a program running in the background. 

The wire coming off of the unit goes to the chassis fan 3 pin plug but it only has 2 wires, im guessing they are a simple positive and negative. 

If it plugs in to a motherboard fan header for power, it must be requesting for something between 0 and 12 V. I am going to assume 12 V, but you need to check the product to be sure, so in theory if you connect the right section of a SATA power connector you can get  that. There is also 5 V and 3.3 V in case it happens to not be 12 V. However you will only get power through the power supply if the computer is on (or if the 24-pin is jumpered), so "kinda pointless" unless you need the extra fan header on the motherboard.

2. Depends on for what purpose, at least the display looks like it only read the pump rpm and not send a PWM signal for control so you could have the PWM signal come from the motherboard (4th pin) and the tach sensor (3rd pin) go to the display, I guess. Never done it myself but I think that should work.

Thank you thats basically what I was wondering.

I'm guessing on that display unit sense it has the 4pin pump header it just moves the power from chassis fan pin that its hooked to to the positive and ground on the pump header for if your pump is powered that way and as for the pwm wire im guessing it doesn't do anything with it sense it shouldn't be allowed to change anything with the pump but the tach wire i figure is what its interested to be able to display pump rpm.

So I guess is there and issues with me running pwm to the motherboard and splitting the tach wire and running one to the display and the other to the motherboard water pump header?

4 hours ago, Trazor1 said:

So I guess is there and issues with me running pwm to the motherboard and splitting the tach wire and running one to the display and the other to the motherboard water pump header?

I personally do not see an issue with it, although I am unsure if it will work or not.