Apple boiiii needs cheap Andoid for work

Metallus97

Besides my server and my gaming box every device I and my family use is from Apple. Now Ill start a new job where I need an android only app to make appointments etc.
Therefore I am looking for a cheap but reliable and reasonable secure android. The app is used for expense tracing, hour tracking and stuff like that. So nothing special.

Main points I am looking for:

- Buying in the EU

- Cheap

- Reasonable battery

- Up to date android would be preferred

- Nothing to funky since ill be using this in front of and with customers

Thanks boiiiiiis and gaaaaals!

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

I'd highly recommend the Pixel lineup. If you get a cheap (even refurbished, used, idk) Pixel 3 or 3a, that's a phone with at least 2 more years of major android version updates, good battery life, fast, no bloatware, etc.

Alternatively, maybe an old OnePlus? -- older Samsung phones rarely have the latest android version.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

14 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Besides my server and my gaming box every device I and my family use is from Apple. Now Ill start a new job where I need an android only app to make appointments etc.
Therefore I am looking for a cheap but reliable and reasonable secure android. The app is used for expense tracing, hour tracking and stuff like that. So nothing special.

Main points I am looking for:

- Buying in the EU

- Cheap

- Reasonable battery

- Up to date android would be preferred

- Nothing to funky since ill be using this in front of and with customers

Thanks boiiiiiis and gaaaaals!

I checked my carriers website and this is the cheapest android phone they have that I think is pretty good. 

Motorola moto e⁶ - 16gb

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

I'd highly recommend the Pixel lineup. If you get a cheap (even refurbished, used, idk) Pixel 3 or 3a, that's a phone with at least 2 more years of major android version updates, good battery life, fast, no bloatware, etc.

Alternatively, maybe an old OnePlus? -- older Samsung phones rarely have the latest android version.

But you could flask a custom rom! Like Lineage. 

3 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

Flash...? /pedant

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

5 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

Yeah, but that's complicated and could cause un-needed downtime and/or instability.

Acceptable for a personal phone (sometimes), but not acceptable for a work device.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

6 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

I checked my carriers website and this is the cheapest android phone they have that I think is pretty good. 

Motorola moto e⁶ - 16gb

16gb storage in 2020 🤮

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 hour ago, Metallus97 said:

- Buying in the EU

- Cheap

ya gotta give us some range of budget.

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

16gb storage in 2020 🤮

You can insert an SD Card. They are pretty cheap. 

12 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Okay so you recommend getting something a bit more expensive? 
not an „China phone“.

mind that I’ll keep my iPhone as my main device and daily 

12 hours ago, Nano Adam said:

Motorola moto e⁶ - 16gb

12 hours ago, Nano Adam said:

And that would be or close to stock android?

16gb storage in 2020 🤮

don’t care I need one app :)

Yeah, but that's complicated and could cause un-needed downtime and/or instability.

Acceptable for a personal phone (sometimes), but not acceptable for a work device.

So how bad is it? 
it only has to run one app

11 hours ago, Ohsnaps said:

ya gotta give us some range of budget.

The cheapest but decent :D

maybe 100-150€?

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Do you want the phone to have a certain feature or fit a certain preference apart from those already mentioned?

Maybe some other capability that your Apple devices can't fulfil? 

It would be of great help (to us both) if you could set a target price and give links to the seller(s) that you intend to buy from. Europe is pretty big and ultimate pricing and availability is still subject to your locale.

Off the top of my head, the Xiaomi Mi A3 seems like a good fit for you. It runs Android One (currently on Android 10) and is not of a jarring size coming from your experience with iPhones. The battery life is excellent. It should be priced very affordably no matter where it's sold.

Doesn’t need to do anything more. It’s literally to run one app. I will keep my iPhone as my main device!

I am buying in Germany. Preferably online. Where I don’t care as long as it’s not a scam :D

A3 looks cool but a bit to expensive for my use-case. 
But keep those recommendations coming in!

andoid one is stock android with guaranteed updates for some time, correct? 

2 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

And that would be or close to stock android?

don’t care I need one app :)

So how bad is it? 
it only has to run one app

You won't need Lineage OS at first. The phone I suggested comes with Android 9.0 out of the box. 

Lineage is only needed if you decide to update the OS on the phone after it loses support for updates or it starts to get slow. 

You are probably good for 3-4 years for your use cases. 

On 7/15/2020 at 4:19 PM, huilun02 said:

Then the Motorola One Action maybe? Also runs Android One

If you are not particular about the OS, I'd get the Redmi Note 8T instead. Easily found at the same price on Amazon.de

Any cheaper and you will looking at 720p lcd screens and underwhelming specs that I find uncomfortable to consider buying or suggest. Be reasonable

Android One is almost completely stock. There will be a few manufacturer specific apps related to support and to enable any special features, but nothing offensive. Updates are not guaranteed. Instead it is the structure and intention of implementing Android One that makes it more convenient and likely for the manufacturer to roll out updates. Anrdoid One is targeted for use on budget phone models. Manufacturers are typically reluctant to provide extended support for this segment.

This will be my last post in this thread. Good luck.

Roger, thanks!

On 7/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, Nano Adam said:

You won't need Lineage OS at first. The phone I suggested comes with Android 9.0 out of the box. 

Lineage is only needed if you decide to update the OS on the phone after it loses support for updates or it starts to get slow. 

You are probably good for 3-4 years for your use cases. 

KK, so will the one you suggested get 10 and onward?

7 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Roger, thanks!

KK, so will the one you suggested get 10 and onward?

Can't guarantee that for sure, but the current Lineage OS official builds currently being released are Android 10, so if ever the device gets listed, then you can definitely update to Android 10. 

To put in context, a Samsung Galaxy s3 released in 2012 currently running Lineage OS Android 7. So that phone should also survive pretty long. 

Is a phone really important? How about Bluestacks emulator on your MacBook or Mac?  

Maybe a lower end Nokia or Samsung like a Nokia 2.3 or 4.2 or a A10 or A20.

On 7/17/2020 at 9:49 PM, Xaven said:

Maybe a lower end Nokia or Samsung like a Nokia 2.3 or 4.2 or a A10 or A20.

Thanks I’ll have a look!

On 7/17/2020 at 9:28 PM, Nano Adam said:

Can't guarantee that for sure, but the current Lineage OS official builds currently being released are Android 10, so if ever the device gets listed, then you can definitely update to Android 10. 

To put in context, a Samsung Galaxy s3 released in 2012 currently running Lineage OS Android 7. So that phone should also survive pretty long. 

Is a phone really important? How about Bluestacks emulator on your MacBook or Mac?  

ok sounds good. Think imma go with Android one and after that hope for lineage support.

yeha I need a phone need the app quickly, portable and with a mobile connection