control fan speed

emosun

Do they not make a program that can manually control the fan speed for an nvidia gpu?

I'm only seeing overclocking programs or fan curve programs which isnt what i need

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

Do they not make a program that can manually control the fan speed for an nvidia gpu?

I'm only seeing overclocking programs or fan curve programs which isnt what i need

Could you elaborate on exactly what you need? doesn't a fan curve allow you to manual control the fan speed? for example if you set it to be 90% fan speed across all temperatures, then is that not equivalent to manual control?

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

then is that not equivalent to manual control?

No thats not really manual control. You cant just grab a slider and move it down to 0 instantly.

I used to be able to control the fan speed on gpu's really easily in basic programs like rivatuner back in the day. Just a slider and it changed the fan speed.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

No thats not really manual control. You cant just grab a slider and move it down to 0 instantly.

I used to be able to control the fan speed on gpu's really easily in basic programs like rivatuner back in the day. Just a slider and it changed the fan speed.

I recall MSI afterburner to have such a slider on the interface. Since I watercool my GPUs I don't have any fans, so its a while since I've done so.

MSI Afterburner

yeah but can it actually control the fan speed without screwing with everything else? because if it can't i might as well just run programs at lower settings to reduce the temp lol

Just now, emosun said:

yeah but can it actually control the fan speed without screwing with everything else? because if it can't i might as well just run programs at lower settings to reduce the temp lol

Why don't you try it yourself? as far as I remember it worked fine. Of course lowering the fan speed will screw with the temperatures and therefore screw with the clock speed ala GPU boost 3.0. No such thing as a free lunch.

Just now, For Science! said:

Of course lowering the fan speed will screw with the temperatures and therefore screw with the clock speed ala GPU boost 3.0. No such thing as a free lunch.

why would i lower the fan speed?

Just now, emosun said:

why would i lower the fan speed?

Well, you never specified, and I had assumed that you wanted to forcibly quiet down a loud GPU. But that isn't important for this discussion.

and I guess you did say above:

You cant just grab a slider and move it down to 0 instantly.

So I took the liberty and assumed you wanted to spontaneously stop and/or slow down the fan speed. But again, I assume that isn't important.

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

i might as well just run programs at lower settings to reduce the temp

Well, there are a few good options for you in MSI afterburner. 

- Undervolt your card if there is headroom

- Increase the fan speed manually when you go to heavy load

- Increase the fan curve generally so that its generally cooler

The above will not compromise your "performance"/"experience" (whatever your load is). Or as you say, you could just compromise on the results in some way to reduce the load on the GPU.