High gpu temps?

Hello, i just put a evga hydrocopper waterblock onto my RTX 2080 super and it idles at 38C and under load gets to 80C. every screw is in and I believe i put enough thermal paste on the gpu. The loop has been running now for 20 minutes and there is still noticeable air in the gpu block and cpu tempatures are normal. Does anyone have any suggestions? on the stock 3 slot air cooler i achieved a max temp of 60c and my water temp is 30C with 1 50mm thick 360 and a 30mm think 480 rad

3 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Hello, i just put a evga hydrocopper waterblock onto my RTX 2080 super and it idles at 38C and under load gets to 80C. every screw is in and I believe i put enough thermal paste on the gpu. The loop has been running now for 20 minutes and there is still noticeable air in the gpu block and cpu tempatures are normal. Does anyone have any suggestions? on the stock 3 slot air cooler i achieved a max temp of 60c and my water temp is 30C with 1 50mm thick 360 and a 30mm think 480 rad

Usually this level of bad performance is down to a bad mount. Either not enough mounting pressure, or a thermal pad in the wrong place are the usual culprit.

A photo of your block dissassembled showing where you put the thermal pads as well as the thermal paste spread achieved by the current mounting pressure would be the fast way to a solution.

Is the pump running enough?

If there’s air there you lack flow. 
Could be a clog adding to that. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Is the pump running enough?

If there’s air there you lack flow. 
Could be a clog adding to that. 

Pumps at full speed, there is some air in the gpu block, and I don't think there would be anything to clog it with since all the radiators are flushed and it's using a clear fluid

6 minutes ago, For Science! said:

A photo of your block dissassembled showing where you put the thermal pads as well as the thermal paste spread achieved by the current mounting pressure would be the fast way to a solution.

That's not fun but I'll get some pictures

2 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

That's not fun but I'll get some pictures

if you want, you could try to "squeeze" your GPU waterblock and the PCB to see if "more pressure" improves the temperature. That might give you a hint too.

7 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Pumps at full speed, there is some air in the gpu block, and I don't think there would be anything to clog it with since all the radiators are flushed and it's using a clear fluid

The air is almost certainly the issue, try bleeding the loop again or gently tilting your pc with just the pump powered to try and get the air out

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Either not enough mounting pressure, or a thermal pad in the wrong place are the usual culprit

All the thermal pads were in the right space because they came pre applied to the block. I doubt i messed up thermal paste because i've pasted gpus and cpus many times in before in the past. how would i get more mounting pressure? 

Just now, DominicNikon said:

All the thermal pads were in the right space because they came pre applied to the block. I doubt i messed up thermal paste because i've pasted gpus and cpus many times in before in the past. how would i get more mounting pressure? 

are the screws around the GPU core (usually 4 of them) reasonably tight? obviously you don't want to go crazy, but normally I do go fairly tight on these screws. If its really bad, normally by applying pressure with your fingers on the backplate and the front of the waterblock while applying a load, you may observe a decrease in temps

13 minutes ago, For Science! said:

are the screws around the GPU core (usually 4 of them) reasonably tight? obviously you don't want to go crazy, but normally I do go fairly tight on these screws. If its really bad, normally by applying pressure with your fingers on the backplate and the front of the waterblock while applying a load, you may observe a decrease in temps

Ok i re tightened all the screws. are these temps any better? Max temp on 3d mark timespy was 67C pic was during heaven  should I keep messing with pressure or add a 3rd radiator?image.png.a06f566e5aa3f5648ddd985a4d987660.png

1 hour ago, thedangerine said:

The air is almost certainly the issue, try bleeding the loop again or gently tilting your pc with just the pump powered to try and get the air out

Here's what the inside of the block looks like

20200714_221300.jpg

19 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Ok i re tightened all the screws. are these temps any better? Max temp on 3d mark timespy was 67C pic was during heaven  should I keep messing with pressure or add a 3rd radiator?

they are better, but i would have expected slightly lower for your setup. I would try to go a bit further and see where it stops improving.

Here's what the inside of the block looks like

This is not a problem, the microbubbles are even on the acrylic side (and even if it was on the block, still insignificant)

5 minutes ago, For Science! said:

they are better, but i would have expected slightly lower for your setup. I would try to go a bit further and see where it stops improving.

So keep trying to tighten the screws?

Another rad won’t matter on a simple benchmark. 
Fan speed and flow should be the concern. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

Wait actually how is it a bad mount? i'm wondering because it idles at 30-34C and only gets hot when under load but if you have a cpu cooler that is not mounted properly its hot both at idle and under load. how are the gpus different?

50 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Wait actually how is it a bad mount? i'm wondering because it idles at 30-34C and only gets hot when under load but if you have a cpu cooler that is not mounted properly its hot both at idle and under load. how are the gpus different?

I've had this happen to me before. Safest bet would be to take it apart and check the spread on the paste. I know it's a pain in the ass but on my 2080ti my max temps I've seen are 56c on benchmarks and that was after my entire loop was at equilibrium. My card also idles at around 28-30c. My max temps I saw running cinnebench on a loop and furmark going as well.

4 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

The presence or absence of the IHS is a big one. direct die cooling is much more efficient at moving heat away.

9 hours ago, For Science! said:

The presence or absence of the IHS is a big one. direct die cooling is much more efficient at moving heat away.

Here's the pics 

20200715_141320.thumb.jpg.b5870eecff442da21720140d11d5decf.jpg20200715_141314.thumb.jpg.abaf7be470b5e402d89e931aacacde52.jpg

I can see immediately that there is very low contact. Correct mounting pressure would mean ypu can see the silicon and the TP should be almost completely squished out.

I havent the time tonight to look at the pads but there is definitely a problem  witb contact

20180209_214122.jpg

13 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I can see immediately that there is very low contact. Correct mounting pressure would mean ypu can see the silicon and the TP should be almost completely squished out.

I havent the time tonight to look at the pads but there is definitely a problem  witb contact

20180209_214122.jpg

I just remounted it so I'll update you with temps soon

I've tried 4 times now and temps stay the same or are even worse....

I've tried 4 times now and temps stay the same or are even worse....

Do you screw the screws around the GPU die first? no idea if it makes a difference but I always do those first tightly before moving to the more peripherial screws

Do you screw the screws around the GPU die first? no idea if it makes a difference but I always do those first tightly before moving to the more peripherial screws

I did screw around the die first and I talked to EVGA and they said the block has a defect with how its mounting