Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DominicNikon

High gpu temps?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, i just put a evga hydrocopper waterblock onto my RTX 2080 super and it idles at 38C and under load gets to 80C. every screw is in and I believe i put enough thermal paste on the gpu. The loop has been running now for 20 minutes and there is still noticeable air in the gpu block and cpu tempatures are normal. Does anyone have any suggestions? on the stock 3 slot air cooler i achieved a max temp of 60c and my water temp is 30C with 1 50mm thick 360 and a 30mm think 480 rad

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Hello, i just put a evga hydrocopper waterblock onto my RTX 2080 super and it idles at 38C and under load gets to 80C. every screw is in and I believe i put enough thermal paste on the gpu. The loop has been running now for 20 minutes and there is still noticeable air in the gpu block and cpu tempatures are normal. Does anyone have any suggestions? on the stock 3 slot air cooler i achieved a max temp of 60c and my water temp is 30C with 1 50mm thick 360 and a 30mm think 480 rad

Usually this level of bad performance is down to a bad mount. Either not enough mounting pressure, or a thermal pad in the wrong place are the usual culprit.

 

A photo of your block dissassembled showing where you put the thermal pads as well as the thermal paste spread achieved by the current mounting pressure would be the fast way to a solution.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the pump running enough?

If there’s air there you lack flow. 
Could be a clog adding to that. 


Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144hz

 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Is the pump running enough?

If there’s air there you lack flow. 
Could be a clog adding to that. 

Pumps at full speed, there is some air in the gpu block, and I don't think there would be anything to clog it with since all the radiators are flushed and it's using a clear fluid

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, For Science! said:

 

A photo of your block dissassembled showing where you put the thermal pads as well as the thermal paste spread achieved by the current mounting pressure would be the fast way to a solution.

That's not fun but I'll get some pictures

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

That's not fun but I'll get some pictures

if you want, you could try to "squeeze" your GPU waterblock and the PCB to see if "more pressure" improves the temperature. That might give you a hint too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Pumps at full speed, there is some air in the gpu block, and I don't think there would be anything to clog it with since all the radiators are flushed and it's using a clear fluid

The air is almost certainly the issue, try bleeding the loop again or gently tilting your pc with just the pump powered to try and get the air out


Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (WiFi) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 

Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p to boot, SanDisk 512gb Ultra (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

unRAID Server

CPU: i7-6850K MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED (2x16gb) 3000Mhz 15-17-17-35 GPU: EVGA GTX 970, GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: SanDisk 240gb PLUS (Cache), Seagate Ironwolf 2tb x3, Seagate Ironwolf 3tb x2 (One set to Parity)  Case: Rosewill Viper Z OS: unRAID (w Ubuntu VM)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Either not enough mounting pressure, or a thermal pad in the wrong place are the usual culprit

All the thermal pads were in the right space because they came pre applied to the block. I doubt i messed up thermal paste because i've pasted gpus and cpus many times in before in the past. how would i get more mounting pressure? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DominicNikon said:

All the thermal pads were in the right space because they came pre applied to the block. I doubt i messed up thermal paste because i've pasted gpus and cpus many times in before in the past. how would i get more mounting pressure? 

are the screws around the GPU core (usually 4 of them) reasonably tight? obviously you don't want to go crazy, but normally I do go fairly tight on these screws. If its really bad, normally by applying pressure with your fingers on the backplate and the front of the waterblock while applying a load, you may observe a decrease in temps

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, For Science! said:

are the screws around the GPU core (usually 4 of them) reasonably tight? obviously you don't want to go crazy, but normally I do go fairly tight on these screws. If its really bad, normally by applying pressure with your fingers on the backplate and the front of the waterblock while applying a load, you may observe a decrease in temps

Ok i re tightened all the screws. are these temps any better? Max temp on 3d mark timespy was 67C pic was during heaven  should I keep messing with pressure or add a 3rd radiator?image.png.a06f566e5aa3f5648ddd985a4d987660.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, thedangerine said:

The air is almost certainly the issue, try bleeding the loop again or gently tilting your pc with just the pump powered to try and get the air out

Here's what the inside of the block looks like

20200714_221300.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Ok i re tightened all the screws. are these temps any better? Max temp on 3d mark timespy was 67C pic was during heaven  should I keep messing with pressure or add a 3rd radiator?

they are better, but i would have expected slightly lower for your setup. I would try to go a bit further and see where it stops improving.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DominicNikon said:

Here's what the inside of the block looks like

This is not a problem, the microbubbles are even on the acrylic side (and even if it was on the block, still insignificant)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, For Science! said:

they are better, but i would have expected slightly lower for your setup. I would try to go a bit further and see where it stops improving.

So keep trying to tighten the screws?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another rad won’t matter on a simple benchmark. 
Fan speed and flow should be the concern. 


Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144hz

 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, For Science! said:

they are better, but i would have expected slightly lower for your setup. I would try to go a bit further and see where it stops improving.

Wait actually how is it a bad mount? i'm wondering because it idles at 30-34C and only gets hot when under load but if you have a cpu cooler that is not mounted properly its hot both at idle and under load. how are the gpus different?

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Wait actually how is it a bad mount? i'm wondering because it idles at 30-34C and only gets hot when under load but if you have a cpu cooler that is not mounted properly its hot both at idle and under load. how are the gpus different?

I've had this happen to me before. Safest bet would be to take it apart and check the spread on the paste. I know it's a pain in the ass but on my 2080ti my max temps I've seen are 56c on benchmarks and that was after my entire loop was at equilibrium. My card also idles at around 28-30c. My max temps I saw running cinnebench on a loop and furmark going as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

Wait actually how is it a bad mount? i'm wondering because it idles at 30-34C and only gets hot when under load but if you have a cpu cooler that is not mounted properly its hot both at idle and under load. how are the gpus different?

The presence or absence of the IHS is a big one. direct die cooling is much more efficient at moving heat away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, For Science! said:

The presence or absence of the IHS is a big one. direct die cooling is much more efficient at moving heat away.

Here's the pics 

20200715_141320.thumb.jpg.b5870eecff442da21720140d11d5decf.jpg20200715_141314.thumb.jpg.abaf7be470b5e402d89e931aacacde52.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see immediately that there is very low contact. Correct mounting pressure would mean ypu can see the silicon and the TP should be almost completely squished out.

 

I havent the time tonight to look at the pads but there is definitely a problem  witb contact

 

20180209_214122.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I can see immediately that there is very low contact. Correct mounting pressure would mean ypu can see the silicon and the TP should be almost completely squished out.

 

I havent the time tonight to look at the pads but there is definitely a problem  witb contact

 

20180209_214122.jpg

I just remounted it so I'll update you with temps soon

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, For Science! said:

I can see immediately that there is very low contact. Correct mounting pressure would mean ypu can see the silicon and the TP should be almost completely squished out.

 

I havent the time tonight to look at the pads but there is definitely a problem  witb contact

 

 

I've tried 4 times now and temps stay the same or are even worse....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DominicNikon said:

I've tried 4 times now and temps stay the same or are even worse....

Do you screw the screws around the GPU die first? no idea if it makes a difference but I always do those first tightly before moving to the more peripherial screws

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Do you screw the screws around the GPU die first? no idea if it makes a difference but I always do those first tightly before moving to the more peripherial screws

I did screw around the die first and I talked to EVGA and they said the block has a defect with how its mounting

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×