Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rsethc

Bunch of Xeon Phi's vs Threadripper

Posted · Original PosterOP

I don't know any in-depth details about how Xeon Phi's work but my basic understanding is that they behave like normal CPUs that you can add via PCIe add-in cards. Today I wondered about two things:

1. If you bought a mining motherboard (you know, one of those that has like 20 PCIe slots), and enough Xeon Phi cards to completely populate it, would it work at all?
  2. And if it did work, and you ran some synthetic CPU benchmarks and productivity workloads on it (I would expect gaming to completely suck), how would it compare to just a single 64-core Threadripper?

Or if anyone wants to chip in w/ an explanation of just how those cards worked in general, that would be pretty cool to know as well.

6 minutes ago, rsethc said:

I don't know any in-depth details about how Xeon Phi's work but my basic understanding is that they behave like normal CPUs that you can add via PCIe add-in cards. Today I wondered about two things:

1. If you bought a mining motherboard (you know, one of those that has like 20 PCIe slots), and enough Xeon Phi cards to completely populate it, would it work at all?
  2. And if it did work, and you ran some synthetic CPU benchmarks and productivity workloads on it (I would expect gaming to completely suck), how would it compare to just a single 64-core Threadripper?

Or if anyone wants to chip in w/ an explanation of just how those cards worked in general, that would be pretty cool to know as well.

@Den-Fi actually has a really good explanation. 20,000 kids are awesome at attending daycare, but not much else. They are pretty specialized compute units.

@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Posted · Original PosterOP

What I'm wondering about in terms of the "how do they work" part is more like: how do they access memory (do they have onboard memory too?), and how does the OS become aware of those cores? If everything has to go over PCIe routing, is it only certain motherboards that support them (like you'd have to have a certain chipset, such that those mining boards won't work)? Or is it something the OS has to have had support implemented for, or is it a driver...?

I feel like they would be trash compared to the threadripper because they really aren't designed for that kind of use at all, Xeon phi isn't really the same as slap a bunch of cpu's on via pci express and fire up cinebench to get the best score ever, they are reallly meant to be used in servers for scientific research and stuff like that

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (WiFi) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 

Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p to boot, SanDisk 512gb Ultra (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

unRAID Server

CPU: i7-6850K MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED (2x16gb) 3000Mhz 15-17-17-35 GPU: EVGA GTX 970, GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: SanDisk 240gb PLUS (Cache), Seagate Ironwolf 2tb x3, Seagate Ironwolf 3tb x2 (One set to Parity)  Case: Rosewill Viper Z OS: unRAID (w Ubuntu VM)

xeon phi only work with some motherboards if they are PCIE, if they are socket based you only get one.

threaderipper and epyc destroy Phi 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

15 minutes ago, rsethc said:

What I'm wondering about in terms of the "how do they work" part is more like: how do they access memory (do they have onboard memory too?), and how does the OS become aware of those cores? If everything has to go over PCIe routing, is it only certain motherboards that support them (like you'd have to have a certain chipset, such that those mining boards won't work)? Or is it something the OS has to have had support implemented for, or is it a driver...?

all the pcie ones have their own memory on board.

You don't just get more cores on the host system, you need to make software that will run on that node explecity. The pcie cards run linux them selves, and you need to put the jobs on the cards.