PC Freezing After 30-60 mins of use.

BattlAX

So, I built my PC 10 months ago, using all brand new parts. It was my first proper PC build. The specs are the following:

Ryzen 5 3600
Sapphire Vega 56
16gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance (3200mhz)
1tb Crucial MX500 SSD
Corsair CX650
ASUS B450-MA

After using the PC for anywhere between 30-60 mins, it loses connection before then totally freezing up, and won't shutdown until I force shutdown by holding down the power button. 

I'm by no means an expert on PCs, but I do believe this is a hardware issue rather than a software issue. I've tried booting from a USB into Linux and I have the same issue. The issue happens irrespective of what I'm doing, I could be just browsing and it'd still freeze up, it doesn't seem to just be crashing under heavy loads. 

Any help would be hugely appreciated, my PC was really helping me through lockdown. 

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, LucaW1 said:

it loses connection

... in what way?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Eighjan said:

... in what way?

The internet connection just drops out of nowhere, I'm using an ethernet cable. Then when I go to exit to desktop, that's when it totally just freezes up. 

How dust free is the system, as a whole?

Are all ventilation options unobstructed?

How often do you run Windows Update...?

How often do you update & scan for viruses & other malware?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Eighjan said:

How dust free is the system, as a whole?

Are all ventilation options unobstructed?

How often do you run Windows Update...?

How often do you update & scan for viruses & other malware?

I completely took it apart and removed most of the dust, of which there was a fair amount. In terms of windows updates, its VERY out of date. For some reason, no matter what I do, it doesn't let me update at all. The regular method of just checking for updates always fails. So I then used the update assistant which then throws up an error saying that my PC isn't able to be updated to Windows 10 (despite running it already, albeit an outdated version). I regularly scan for viruses and other malware and there were no results. 

1 minute ago, LucaW1 said:

I completely took it apart and removed most of the dust, of which there was a fair amount. In terms of windows updates, its VERY out of date. For some reason, no matter what I do, it doesn't let me update at all. The regular method of just checking for updates always fails. So I then used the update assistant which then throws up an error saying that my PC isn't able to be updated to Windows 10 (despite running it already, albeit an outdated version). I regularly scan for viruses and other malware and there were no results. 

Not that there's probably a lot you can do offline, but does the machine behave 'oddly' when the ethernet cable is unplugged...?

What anti-virus &/or anti-malware do you use?

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

Not that there's probably a lot you can do offline, but does the machine behave 'oddly' when the ethernet cable is unplugged...?

What anti-virus &/or anti-malware do you use?

I haven't yet tried it offline, but I suspect the issue will persist. I will check this however. 

I use Malwarebytes and AVG. 

Actually, I suddenly remembered that I did try it offline a few days ago. The issue was still present. 

I haven't yet tried it offline, but I suspect the issue will persist. I will check this however. 

If it's OK offline, I suspect malware, like a keylogger.

2 minutes ago, LucaW1 said:

Actually, I suddenly remembered that I did try it offline a few days ago. The issue was still present. 

Ohh... think we have a hardware issue.

What was the last software you installed & were things OK before you got it?

WHY NOT...?!

2 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

If it's OK offline, I suspect malware, like a keylogger.

It wasn't ok offline, the issue was exactly the same. I suspect it may be a hardware fault, but I'm really not too sure. 

It wasn't ok offline, the issue was exactly the same. I suspect it may be a hardware fault, but I'm really not too sure. 

7 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

What was the last software you installed & were things OK before you got it?

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Eighjan said:

I can't remember the last thing I installed, I think it would've been Substance Painter (fully legitimate trial version from the official site) 

And yeah, I forgot to add. There was no freezing issues prior to this. 

1 hour ago, LucaW1 said:

You shouldn't use more then one anti-virus at a time. I can cause conflicts. I would suggest uninstalling one of them. Don't know if it would cause the system to crash but it worth a try.

Also try looking at windows logs and seeing if its recording anything unusual when it freezes. 

4 minutes ago, Prometheus935 said:

You shouldn't use more then one anti-virus at a time. I can cause conflicts. I would suggest uninstalling one of them. Don't know if it would cause the system to crash but it worth a try.

Also try looking at windows logs and seeing if its recording anything unusual when it freezes. 

The only thing it logs is me force shutting down. The anti virus duplication was fine, it was like that for about a month before the issues began.

13 minutes ago, Prometheus935 said:

You shouldn't use more then one anti-virus at a time.

RUNNING them at the same time is (can be) bad; using one to back the other up - not as much.

Norton 360 & Spybot play nice together.... well; on my machine they do.

WHY NOT...?!

10 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

RUNNING them at the same time is (can be) bad; using one to back the other up - not as much.

Norton 360 & Spybot play nice together.... well; on my machine they do.

One of them was in what they describe as "passive mode", which iirc means they're compatible with eachother. 

Just now, LucaW1 said:

One of them was in what they describe as "passive mode", which iirc means they're compatible with eachother. 

However they run, always update them to death, THEN run scans.

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Eighjan said:

However they run, always update them to death, THEN run scans.

Yeah, they were both up to date. 

Yeah, they were both up to date. 

Last resort I'd suggest would be that the system drive be reformatted OFFLINE, but that'll depend on how much of what's on the drive(s) you can't afford to lose.

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Eighjan said:

Last resort I'd suggest would be that the system drive be reformatted OFFLINE, but that'll depend on how much of what's on the drive(s) you can't afford to lose.

My main hobby is 3D modelling and texturing, everything I've finished is backed up. And all my games are on my 5tb HDD, which I have removed. So I should be alright to just reformat. I will give it a try tomorrow when I have a chance to sift through all of my stuff on there. Although I suspect it's a hardware issue with either the mobo or PSU, it'll be fantastic if it is just an easily fixed issue like an issue with files on the SSD. 

My main hobby is 3D modelling and texturing, everything I've finished is backed up. And all my games are on my 5tb HDD, which I have removed. So I should be alright to just reformat. I will give it a try tomorrow when I have a chance to sift through all of my stuff on there. Although I suspect it's a hardware issue with either the mobo or PSU, it'll be fantastic if it is just an easily fixed issue like an issue with files on the SSD. 

Keep the ethernet unplugged & only the system drive connected, too, until you have all the drivers you have to hand installed... if you have access to a spare machine, get the latest drivers for all your parts d/l onto a USB drive & install them offline.

Precautions...

Good luck.

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

Keep the ethernet unplugged & only the system drive connected, too, until you have all the drivers you have to hand installed... if you have access to a spare machine, get the latest drivers for all your parts d/l onto a USB drive & install them offline.

Precautions...

Good luck.

Thanks, I'm using my laptop currently, and have been for a few days. So I can just download all the stuff I need onto a USB from here. So, do I just format it in the machine, and then stick the USB in and install the drivers? I may sound a bit silly but im just making sure. 

Thanks, I'm using my laptop currently, and have been for a few days. So I can just download all the stuff I need onto a USB from here. So, do I just format it in the machine, and then stick the USB in and install the drivers? I may sound a bit silly but im just making sure. 

Format as part of a fresh install - killing the existing partitions at the appropriate point should suffice.

Yes; boot from the USB (install Media Creation Tool to the USB).

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Eighjan said:

Format as part of a fresh install - killing the existing partitions at the appropriate point should suffice.