Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BattlAX

PC Freezing After 30-60 mins of use.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So, I built my PC 10 months ago, using all brand new parts. It was my first proper PC build. The specs are the following:

Ryzen 5 3600
Sapphire Vega 56
16gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance (3200mhz)
1tb Crucial MX500 SSD
Corsair CX650
ASUS B450-MA


After using the PC for anywhere between 30-60 mins, it loses connection before then totally freezing up, and won't shutdown until I force shutdown by holding down the power button. 

I'm by no means an expert on PCs, but I do believe this is a hardware issue rather than a software issue. I've tried booting from a USB into Linux and I have the same issue. The issue happens irrespective of what I'm doing, I could be just browsing and it'd still freeze up, it doesn't seem to just be crashing under heavy loads. 

 

Any help would be hugely appreciated, my PC was really helping me through lockdown. 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LucaW1 said:

it loses connection

... in what way?


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Eighjan said:

... in what way?

The internet connection just drops out of nowhere, I'm using an ethernet cable. Then when I go to exit to desktop, that's when it totally just freezes up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

How dust free is the system, as a whole?

Are all ventilation options unobstructed?

How often do you run Windows Update...?

How often do you update & scan for viruses & other malware?

 


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Eighjan said:

How dust free is the system, as a whole?

Are all ventilation options unobstructed?

How often do you run Windows Update...?

How often do you update & scan for viruses & other malware?

 

I completely took it apart and removed most of the dust, of which there was a fair amount. In terms of windows updates, its VERY out of date. For some reason, no matter what I do, it doesn't let me update at all. The regular method of just checking for updates always fails. So I then used the update assistant which then throws up an error saying that my PC isn't able to be updated to Windows 10 (despite running it already, albeit an outdated version). I regularly scan for viruses and other malware and there were no results. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LucaW1 said:

I completely took it apart and removed most of the dust, of which there was a fair amount. In terms of windows updates, its VERY out of date. For some reason, no matter what I do, it doesn't let me update at all. The regular method of just checking for updates always fails. So I then used the update assistant which then throws up an error saying that my PC isn't able to be updated to Windows 10 (despite running it already, albeit an outdated version). I regularly scan for viruses and other malware and there were no results. 

Not that there's probably a lot you can do offline, but does the machine behave 'oddly' when the ethernet cable is unplugged...?

What anti-virus &/or anti-malware do you use?


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

Not that there's probably a lot you can do offline, but does the machine behave 'oddly' when the ethernet cable is unplugged...?

What anti-virus &/or anti-malware do you use?

I haven't yet tried it offline, but I suspect the issue will persist. I will check this however. 

I use Malwarebytes and AVG. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Actually, I suddenly remembered that I did try it offline a few days ago. The issue was still present. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LucaW1 said:

I haven't yet tried it offline, but I suspect the issue will persist. I will check this however. 

I use Malwarebytes and AVG. 

If it's OK offline, I suspect malware, like a keylogger.

2 minutes ago, LucaW1 said:

Actually, I suddenly remembered that I did try it offline a few days ago. The issue was still present. 

Ohh... think we have a hardware issue.

What was the last software you installed & were things OK before you got it?


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

If it's OK offline, I suspect malware, like a keylogger.

It wasn't ok offline, the issue was exactly the same. I suspect it may be a hardware fault, but I'm really not too sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LucaW1 said:

It wasn't ok offline, the issue was exactly the same. I suspect it may be a hardware fault, but I'm really not too sure. 

7 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

What was the last software you installed & were things OK before you got it?

 

 


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Eighjan said:

 

 

I can't remember the last thing I installed, I think it would've been Substance Painter (fully legitimate trial version from the official site) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

And yeah, I forgot to add. There was no freezing issues prior to this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LucaW1 said:

I use Malwarebytes and AVG. 

You shouldn't use more then one anti-virus at a time. I can cause conflicts. I would suggest uninstalling one of them. Don't know if it would cause the system to crash but it worth a try.

 

Also try looking at windows logs and seeing if its recording anything unusual when it freezes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Prometheus935 said:

You shouldn't use more then one anti-virus at a time. I can cause conflicts. I would suggest uninstalling one of them. Don't know if it would cause the system to crash but it worth a try.

 

Also try looking at windows logs and seeing if its recording anything unusual when it freezes. 

The only thing it logs is me force shutting down. The anti virus duplication was fine, it was like that for about a month before the issues began.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Prometheus935 said:

You shouldn't use more then one anti-virus at a time.

RUNNING them at the same time is (can be) bad; using one to back the other up - not as much.

 

Norton 360 & Spybot play nice together.... well; on my machine they do.


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

RUNNING them at the same time is (can be) bad; using one to back the other up - not as much.

 

Norton 360 & Spybot play nice together.... well; on my machine they do.

One of them was in what they describe as "passive mode", which iirc means they're compatible with eachother. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LucaW1 said:

One of them was in what they describe as "passive mode", which iirc means they're compatible with eachother. 

However they run, always update them to death, THEN run scans.


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Eighjan said:

However they run, always update them to death, THEN run scans.

Yeah, they were both up to date. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LucaW1 said:

Yeah, they were both up to date. 

Last resort I'd suggest would be that the system drive be reformatted OFFLINE, but that'll depend on how much of what's on the drive(s) you can't afford to lose.


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Eighjan said:

Last resort I'd suggest would be that the system drive be reformatted OFFLINE, but that'll depend on how much of what's on the drive(s) you can't afford to lose.

My main hobby is 3D modelling and texturing, everything I've finished is backed up. And all my games are on my 5tb HDD, which I have removed. So I should be alright to just reformat. I will give it a try tomorrow when I have a chance to sift through all of my stuff on there. Although I suspect it's a hardware issue with either the mobo or PSU, it'll be fantastic if it is just an easily fixed issue like an issue with files on the SSD. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LucaW1 said:

My main hobby is 3D modelling and texturing, everything I've finished is backed up. And all my games are on my 5tb HDD, which I have removed. So I should be alright to just reformat. I will give it a try tomorrow when I have a chance to sift through all of my stuff on there. Although I suspect it's a hardware issue with either the mobo or PSU, it'll be fantastic if it is just an easily fixed issue like an issue with files on the SSD. 

Keep the ethernet unplugged & only the system drive connected, too, until you have all the drivers you have to hand installed... if you have access to a spare machine, get the latest drivers for all your parts d/l onto a USB drive & install them offline.

 

Precautions...

 

Good luck.


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

Keep the ethernet unplugged & only the system drive connected, too, until you have all the drivers you have to hand installed... if you have access to a spare machine, get the latest drivers for all your parts d/l onto a USB drive & install them offline.

 

Precautions...

 

Good luck.

Thanks, I'm using my laptop currently, and have been for a few days. So I can just download all the stuff I need onto a USB from here. So, do I just format it in the machine, and then stick the USB in and install the drivers? I may sound a bit silly but im just making sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LucaW1 said:

Thanks, I'm using my laptop currently, and have been for a few days. So I can just download all the stuff I need onto a USB from here. So, do I just format it in the machine, and then stick the USB in and install the drivers? I may sound a bit silly but im just making sure. 

Format as part of a fresh install - killing the existing partitions at the appropriate point should suffice.

Yes; boot from the USB (install Media Creation Tool to the USB).


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Eighjan said:

Format as part of a fresh install - killing the existing partitions at the appropriate point should suffice.

Thanks :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×