Upgrading panel

Crave

Hey everyone,

I use Acer XF250Q monitor and recently i found out that Acer made a new version of this monitor, XF252Q. Upon doing some research, i found out that this monitor pretty much has the same parameters as the previous version, but with better response time and somehow better colors etc. even though it's still a TN panel. Now, as i already have an old version of the monitor, i was thinking if it's possible to find the model of the new panel and simply switch XF250Q panel with the XF252Q one.

Does anybody have experience in these kinds of mods?

Probably not at all worth it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I mean it would probably be a lot of work and be kind of risky to swap, if there isn't a really drastic improvement in any of the specs then I wouldn't risk it

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Probably not at all worth it.

1 minute ago, thedangerine said:

I mean it would probably be a lot of work and be kind of risky to swap, if there isn't a really drastic improvement in any of the specs then I wouldn't risk it

To be honest, when i first got Acer XF250Q, i had a black dot (not a dead pixel, looks like a smudge/bug) on the upper right corner and semi-dead pixel near center, which shows up only on blue and kinda on purple. Also, when i was doing a research on monitors, i found out that the flickering line underneath the monitor, which appears when you're using an overdrive is a defect. Due to distance and high shipping price. I couldn't send it for RMA when i had time, but at least Amazon returned me some money for the inconvenience.

So the main reason for swap is mostly, because i want to get rid of these little inconveniences and also not spend money on a new monitor.

5 minutes ago, Crave said:

So the main reason for swap is mostly, because i want to get rid of these little inconveniences and also not spend money on a new monitor.

Not worth it to upgrade the panel. If you want the new monitor, sell your current one and use that money to buy a new one.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

Not worth it to upgrade the panel. If you want the new monitor, sell your current one and use that money to buy a new one.

I like this idea mainly because it has very little to no risk involved and the odds of getting another monitor with defects is pretty low depending on the brand. I guess it comes down to the price of the replacement panel + the time and effort (and risk) associated with doing the swap vs. the time, effort, and cost of selling your current one as is. I feel like unless the difference is very large you might as well go for a new one

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

14 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

4 minutes ago, thedangerine said:

I like this idea mainly because it has very little to no risk involved and the odds of getting another monitor with defects is pretty low depending on the brand. I guess it comes down to the price of the replacement panel + the time and effort (and risk) associated with doing the swap vs. the time, effort, and cost of selling your current one as is. I feel like unless the difference is very large you might as well go for a new one

I see, thanks for the help. i'll probably either sell it after i purchase a new 240 HZ monitor (hopefully without any defects) or just continue using it and wait till it completely dies, so i can replace it.